It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's really bad here in NY CT and NJ!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Don't over do... get your rest. Let someone else carry the torch for a bit. Tomorrow is another day.

I salute you. Carry on...

Make sure people stay away from debris from burned or exploded power line transformers. They are toxic. Tell hazmat where those are. Warn them not to jump over downed lines. The electricity can jump too. As they try to restore power some lines will become live where yesterday they were not. Don't touch anything that touches the wires like metal cyclone fences or cars, etc.

Don't walk thru flooded areas. Man hole covers are probably blown off. That could be fatal. Some people aren't qualified to remove downed trees, they could fall or snap back when cut with chainsaws. Make sure exhaust port from generators is facing away from the house. There have been deaths associated with Carbon Monoxide. Stay safe...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Today, I was a bit of The Today Show. In it were scenes from Rockefeller Center with people ice skating around like they didn't have a care in the world. I found that odd, since it was below ground level.
How far is this from the nearest subway, and is that subway flooded?

Matter of fact, can anybody here post the subways that are running please?
Along with a map so that people know where the subways are offline also.

How about the Holland Tunnel and other Tunnels, flooded/not flooded? Is there any rhyme or reason to what is
being open and closed at this point.

What about light rail service in NY, NJ, PA and CT? Are people down to either driving a car to commute by and large or walk?

What about the photos of entire fleets of a hundred taxis being flooded out? Is there a taxi shortage?

Is there some obstruction somewhere on interstates or why has there been a slow down in scheduled gas tankers to their regular stations? Grocery stores? Wal-Mart and other large superstores?

What about the docks? Is there some reason that shipping is halted. I have not heard a single word reported about the docks when this is the largest shipping hub in the world!

Thanks to anybody that has accurate info.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

Originally posted by hanyak69
By the way where was obama bin laden when Texas and colorado burned last year, the last ten years have been brutal down in south Texas with almost no help. It is okay though we are used to it.....

Obama was in Colorado the day after the Colorado Spring fire consumed the valley full of homes. I don't know about Texas, but he was here in Colorado during our worst fire in history.

God Bless,

Rick Perry was praying for rain in Texas. Guess he didn't need Obama's help. How'd that work out for you there in Texas, y'all?

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Millionaire's island in NJ had a fire that was out of control There was one bridge to it, which was blocked to firefighters with debris and sand. Fire started from ruptured gas lines.

CBS News- Fire(s) in Mantoloking, N.J.
and
Huffington Post

MSM TV coverage

edit on 2/11/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
What I hear is the subways are nearly pumped and will need disenficted and cleaned of all sorts of things including 20 million or so dead rats and a couple of hundred bodies. Temporary lighting will go in then cleaning crews and finally repair crews. 3-4 months for some areas longer and shorter for others. Cleanup till new years

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by nighthawk1954

Originally posted by intrptr

I am fine thank you, I am spending alot of time with our Fire Dept helping people. I can spend more time as my family is safe and has power.

Dude, you're awesome!
So glad to hear back from you! Power is back on and the streets are being cleared in your area. Items 1 and 2 on the list. Just in time too as you know temperatures will be dipping in the next few days. Stay warm, dry and close to your family at night.

Someone please knight this guy...

Yo jerk! I ha family down there an I took care of them the best I Could I I flew down thwre with othe Vol. So to F off.

I am back ...got a chance to rest...this old 59 year old body is taking a beating
...but I am in good shape...have a couple of families with young kids coming over to sleep over and have a hot meal and a hot shower...It's still bad ..temps droping into the low 30's...we evacuated a senior citizens project with no heat and food to a safe area ..over 200...today helped the National Guard clearing tree's and delivering MRE'S and water...Not geting any better %50 plus in our town and sourounding town in the same shape...The power co. UI ,CLP have blown it again like last year and we have a Noreaster blowing in next wensday... sorry for the spelling ...I'm beat.....Gotta go know another alarm coming in... once again any body needs help get in touch! God bless all!

The blessing of no power is that you really don't know what to do with the extra time.
Sitting around a candlelit room gets dull.
in 05, we had 4 hurricanes hit here (florida). I spent most of my time going around cutting trees down and reroofing peoples homes, then helped drywalling areas after (mold is a killer and will be the longest pain in the arse people will be dealing with). I was working 14-16 hour days...and didn't mind..its not like I was missing anything on the tube or would rather go play a game. the whole no electric thing sort of tossed that out.

Keeps you sane also..the constantly doing something.

The worth of a person is shown during disasters.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by intrptr

I am fine thank you, I am spending alot of time with our Fire Dept helping people. I can spend more time as my family is safe and has power.

Dude, you're awesome!
So glad to hear back from you! Power is back on and the streets are being cleared in your area. Items 1 and 2 on the list. Just in time too as you know temperatures will be dipping in the next few days. Stay warm, dry and close to your family at night.

Someone please knight this guy...

I am back ...got a chance to rest...this old 59 year old body is taking a beating
...but I am in good shape...have a couple of families with young kids coming over to sleep over and have a hot meal and a hot shower...It's still bad ..temps droping into the low 30's...we evacuated a senior citizens project with no heat and food to a safe area ..over 200...today helped the National Guard clearing tree's and delivering MRE'S and water...Not geting any better %50 plus in our town and sourounding town in the same shape...The power co. UI ,CLP have blown it again like last year and we have a Noreaster blowing in next wensday... sorry for the spelling ...I'm beat.....Gotta go know another alarm coming in... once again any body needs help get in touch! God bless all!

The blessing of no power is that you really don't know what to do with the extra time.
Sitting around a candlelit room gets dull.
in 05, we had 4 hurricanes hit here (florida). I spent most of my time going around cutting trees down and reroofing peoples homes, then helped drywalling areas after (mold is a killer and will be the longest pain in the arse people will be dealing with). I was working 14-16 hour days...and didn't mind..its not like I was missing anything on the tube or would rather go play a game. the whole no electric thing sort of tossed that out.

Keeps you sane also..the constantly doing something.

The worth of a person is shown during disasters.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

If anybody on here lives in Fairfield county needs food a hot shower or a place to crash , Contact me my home is open to all! I will keep my eye on this tread for anybody in need. Or e-mail me.

Every time I feel like living in the middle of no where and avoiding society some bastard like you comes along and makes me think that maybe this world isn't such a bad place haha......your all right mate

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

1 trains will operate local between 242nd Street (Bronx) and Times Square-42nd Street.

2 trains will operate between 241st Street (Bronx) and Times Square-42nd Street, with express service between 96th Street and Times Square.

3 trains are suspended.

4 trains will operate in two sections making all local stops: · Between Woodlawn (Bronx) and Grand Central-42nd Street · Between Borough Hall and New Lots Avenue 5 trains will operate express in Brooklyn between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and Flatbush Avenue.

6 trains will operate local between Pelham Bay Park and Grand Central-42nd Street.

7 trains are suspended.

42nd Street Shuttle S trains will operate between Times Square and Grand Central.

A trains will operate in two sections making all local stops: · Between 168th Street (Manhattan) and 34th Street-Penn Station · Between Jay Street/MetroTech and Lefferts Blvd.

B and C service is suspended.

D trains operate in two sections: · Between 205th Street (Bronx) and 34th Street-Herald Square making all local stops · In Brooklyn, between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and Bay Parkway making express stops between Pacific Street and 36th Street

E trains are suspended.

F trains operate in two sections making all local stops: · Between 179th Street (Queens) and 34th Street-Herald Square · In Brooklyn, between Jay Street-MetroTech and Avenue X

G trains are suspended.

J trains operate between Jamaica Center and Hewes Street making all local stops.

L trains operate between Broadway Junction and rockaway Parkway making all local stops.

M trains operate between Myrtle Avenue-Broadway and Metropolitan Avenue.

N trains operate between Ditmars Blvd. (Queens) and 34th Street-Herald Square making all local stops.

Q trains are suspended.

R trains operate in Brooklyn between Jay Street-MetroTech and 95th Street making all local stops.

Both the Franklin Avenue and Rockaway Park S shuttles are suspended.

SHUTTLE BUSES: All shuttle buses will operate north on 3rd Avenue and south on Lexington Avenue. 1. Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Manhattan Bridge 2. Between Jay Street-MetroTech and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Manhattan Bridge 3. Between Hewes Street and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Williamsburg Bridge

LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD: City Terminal – (Jamaica – Penn Station): Suspended (anticipate shuttle between these stations later tonight)

Ronkonkoma Branch: Suspended (goal to restore hourly service from Ronkonkoma to Penn Station for AM rush hour Thursday, Nov. 1)

Port Washington Branch: Suspended (goal to restore hourly service from Great Neck to Penn Station for AM rush hour Thursday, Nov. 1)

Babylon Branch: Suspended

Port Jefferson Branch: Suspended

Montauk Branch: Suspended

Hempstead Branch: Suspended

Long Beach: Suspended

Far Rockaway: Suspended

Oyster Bay Branch: Suspended

West Hempstead: Suspended

METRO-NORTH: Hudson Line: Suspended

Upper Harlem Line: Suspended

Lower Harlem Line: Restored with hourly service

New Haven Line: Suspended

New Canaan Branch: Suspended

Danbury Branch: Suspended

Waterbury Branch: Suspended

West-of-Hudson: Pascack Valley: Suspended Port Jervis: Suspended Bridges and Tunnels

Robert F. Kennedy Bridge: Open

Henry Hudson Bridge: Open

Throgs Neck Bridge: Open

Bronx-Whitestone Bridge: Open

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge: Open

Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge: Open

Cross Bay Veterans Memorial: Open northbound to Broad Chanel; Open southbound to Rockaways but subject to period closures for emergency equipment

Hugh L. Carey Tunnel: Closed

Queens Midtown Tunnel: Closed

Here's a site with EVERY traffic cam in NY/NJ
NJ Traffic Cam

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Being a UK citizen, I watched multiple tv programs that showed how Fire Fighters disobeyed orders to stop and continued instead to literally risk, and in too many incidents Lose, their / Your Right To Live. I watched through the night as this unbelievable Super Storm reached land and started its will to destroy. While watching via the TV - I once again saw How multiple Fire Fighters refused to stop, But just kept going forward. Saw the front of a house collapse and soon as it did, in went a group of Real, True, Heroic Fire Fighters. I'm 66 and i;ve seen a few things as time sailed by, But Never have I seen such a group of Tall,Proud Men, do what American Fire Fighters did / do. Read your op[ening lines yesterday, But I just could not find the right way to somehow "Congatulate You". Boy oh boy, if Superman was real, then 10: 1 he would have been a Fire Fighter.

You Sir are forever in our thought's, Forever in our Prayers. Just hope time will somehow make things easier for all of you.
Farewell, and take it easy for a while.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
My neighborhood in NJ looks like a warzone I had over 4 telephone poles down and 3 trees on my block alone. A neighbor and I chopped up a tree with a handsaw and by breaking limbs because the city said it was too big of a job and they wanted to improve numbers elsewhere. So he took the copper from downed power lines as consolation lol. I said go right ahead and threw all my leaves and broken branches on the pile.
Day four no heat no power but at least the water heater is gas and I have a stovetop that is gas but no oven as that part is electrical. They wouldn't even come remove down power lines on my lawn and driveway so we tested those and jerry-rigged it so cars could get through and go to work or get supplies. Gas is either gone or you wait in line for ages. I should have bought that generator. Oh well

DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE NEXT TIME! Get that generator...money well spent, and make sure to stock up on gas cans, and keep a few filled with gas for the "tomorrow" that will come! Just make sure to store gas safely, and a woodstove or even a fireplace is a godsend. It happened to us last year with Hurricane Irene, which gave us many lessons to be learned and applied!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

By the way where was obama bin laden when Texas and colorado burned last year, the last ten years have been brutal down in south Texas with almost no help. It is okay though we are used to it.....

Who cares where Obama and Biden were at when Texas burned or when some place gets hit with a storm. People need to quit begging the federal government to cone save them and protect them. It's really sad when I see my fellow Americans crying for The feds to come and save the day. The longer they beg, the longer they cry for the feds, the more the government likes it because then all tbese people start thinking they can't live without the federal governments help. The people watching this will belueve that too. so they are going to sit and let people suffer and beg and cry do they become further enslaved.

It's local government, state government, friendd helping friends, neighbors helping neighbors and communities helping communites who should be the ones dealing with disasters like this. NOT FEMA, DHS, National Guard, Obama or Biden. Tell them, YOU don't need there help. People really need to start getting this because it's important.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The devastating aftermath of Superstorm Sandy began to emerge this morning as the death toll hit 50 and damage was expected to reach $50billion.

As the superstorm passed over the region, startling before-and-after pictures revealed what was left of the East Coast.

At first glance, New Jersey's Mantoloking Bridge appeared to be completely different highways - until it becomes clear that just one solitary house was left standing.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
At 7 am back at the fire house doing what we can...at 11:00 am we will be in Easton CT. for a Memorial Service for our brother Fire fighter Russell F. Neary, age 55, of Easton, CT, died on October 29, 2012 in the line of duty. Russell was born on July 8, 1957 in Bridgeport, CT to the late John J. and Phyllis Neary. He spent his childhood in Easton and currently resided in Easton with his family. Russell was educated at the Fairfield College Preparatory School, and the College of Holy Cross, majoring in Accounting. Along with his many interests, Russell was a 13 year volunteer fireman with the Easton Fire Department and currently president and lieutenant of the company. Russell had been employed since 1979 as a Vice President of the Global Ocean Marine Department at General Reinsurance in Stamford, CT., He is survived by his loving wife, Maryanne(Faley),and cherished daughters, Cara and Caitlin. He is also survived by his brother, Peter and his wife, Judith, and their children, Christopher, Laurel and Heather, brother-in-laws, John Faley and his wife Susan, Kevin Faley, Michael Faley and his wife, Kathy, sister-in-law Eileen Faley Carroll and her husband Jim, and Maryanne's parents John and Eileen Faley and many nieces and nephews. A memorial mass will take place on Saturday, November 3rd at 11:00 AM at Notre Dame Catholic Church, 655 Morehouse Road in Easton. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to the Russell Neary Memorial Trust Fund to benefit Joel Barlow High School's Girls Cross Country & Girls Track and Field Teams and the American Red Cross. Donations may be mailed to: Russell Neary Memorial Trust Fund, 30 Far Horizon Dr., Easton,CT 06612.

After we will be sending crews to the shore line.

Here is what is going on in Fairfield county...www.ctpost.com...
edit on 3-11-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2012 by nighthawk1954 because: my town...www.acorn-online.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
At least Obama is doing something...WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Obama administration is ordering the purchase of up to 12 million gallons of unleaded fuel and up to 10 million gallons of diesel fuel for distribution in areas impacted by Superstorm Sandy to supplement private sector efforts.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said Friday that President Barack Obama has directed the Defense Logistics Agency to handle the purchase of the fuel. It will be transported by tanker trucks and distributed throughout New York, New Jersey and other communities impacted by the storm.

FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate said the fuel purchase is part of efforts by governments, private organizations and others to help the region recover from the weather disaster.

This purchase is in addition to an emergency diesel fuel loan from the Energy Department's Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MNnativeamer

Who cares where Obama and Biden were at when Texas burned or when some place gets hit with a storm. People need to quit begging the federal government to cone save them and protect them. It's really sad when I see my fellow Americans crying for The feds to come and save the day. The longer they beg, the longer they cry for the feds, the more the government likes it because then all tbese people start thinking they can't live without the federal governments help. The people watching this will belueve that too. so they are going to sit and let people suffer and beg and cry do they become further enslaved.

It's local government, state government, friendd helping friends, neighbors helping neighbors and communities helping communites who should be the ones dealing with disasters like this. NOT FEMA, DHS, National Guard, Obama or Biden. Tell them, YOU don't need there help. People really need to start getting this because it's important.

Much of what you said I agree with until I imagine what it feels like to be in dire straits and out of my mind. Those people should get ALL the help they can, and should never be faulted for feeling that they deserve it...after all, we do pay federal taxes also, and I would rather see our taxes applied to emergency agencies such as this...then to other countries such as Egypt to the tune of 450,000,000!

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Here is a live stream on how bad things are in NYC. People lining up for gas with gas-cans.

Live video stream.Live video stream

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

Originally posted by ElohimJD

Obama was in Colorado the day after the Colorado Spring fire consumed the valley full of homes. I don't know about Texas, but he was here in Colorado during our worst fire in history.

God Bless,

Rick Perry was praying for rain in Texas. Guess he didn't need Obama's help. How'd that work out for you there in Texas, y'all?

Again, Perry was rebuffed when he asked Obama for help. Maybe that's why he turned to prayer. We seem to be doing okay now, not as bad 1/3 of the country that had terrible drought this year.

My thoughts and prayers to all who desperately need help in the aftermath of Sandy!
edit on 3-11-2012 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Martial law has been declared in New Jersey and today the remaining people at the shore were ordered by police officials to back up their things and were then escorted away in buses. Estimates are up to 8 months till the residents will be able to return.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird
Martial law has been declared in New Jersey and today the remaining people at the shore were ordered by police officials to back up their things and were then escorted away in buses. Estimates are up to 8 months till the residents will be able to return.

link please....

Des

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join