page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter

Originally posted by BrieBird
reply to post by PaperbackWriter

Hopefully he just went to bed. Scary thought to think people are being picked up and taken somewhere especially if they are not in a badly damaged area.

I agree. Watching TWC two days ago, I saw footage of Nat Guard walking with people who had a duffle bag packed and were getting into a camo truck with benches. Then it showed it pulling away.
I was aghast to see that there was only 4 or 5 inches of water on the road. It was a residential neighborhood with hardly a limb down in the area. So, you would think it was because they were out of power?
What the heck? I hope I am never told to pack a bag and go with these people just because I am out of power for a week or even two!

Often it is the sewage problem. health issue if water flooded the sewage treatment plants or the water reaches your electric outlets in the home or the drinking water is bad even if boiled, it is basically condemned until healthy to return.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Bloomberg is sending generators to the NYC Marathon .. for tents to keep the runners warm etc etc. :shk: There are makeshift morgues without electricity in Staten Island that could use that power .. there are gas stations that could use that power to pump gas and get things moving .. there are shelters from the cold and that have food that could use that power.

NYC Marathon??? Bloomberg screwed up!

That is just insane!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I was born and raised in New Orleans.. had family there during Katrina, I never heard of anyone just getting handed 4k. **shrug**

Anyway, here in Illinois at Scott AFB 2 tankers just took off. That NEVER HAPPENS.. so perhaps theyre on the way to the East Coast. Cross your fingers.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by MastaShake
those of you saying that people should have prepped for this seem to be forgetting that alot of people in nyc live in apartments (which are fairly tiny) so stocking up on a month of non perishable food would be almost impossible for most people since space is limited

Those small apartments are not that small. Several under bed storage boxes can hold a great deal of food such as rice and quite a few dozen cans to go with the rice. Other foods such as weetbix have good nutrician value and pack without wasted space. If you put food under all the used beds you end up with a good store of emergency rations.

The big problem is of course the Government message that says only terrorists prepare!

The Government wants you to be totally dependent on them. I have around four weeks of food as a matter of course, that is without deliberately being prepared.

You can always find some room at the back of a closet for a few bags of rice.

P

All government agencies and FEMA website and meetings they have had for everyone on the West coast have been saying for over a year "please people get at least two weeks and preferably a months supply of food and water for your families". They have even included the message to get your animals food and meds ahead by a month just no one will listen.

Here is the FEMA recommended kit and additions

www.ready.gov...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ceetee
reply to post by pheonix358

sorry i dont live in NY, i live in the UK, however I find your lack of understanding and brash statements to be incorrect. I live in a small 1 bed flat here in the uk. I have virtually no storage space, so under the BED is already jammed with my own stuff. At best, i could store 3 days extra food in this flat and no more. You appear to be clueless and talking out of your backside

We have a months worth of food,,,,power bars for emergency use...in a small bag which is by the front door...we keep in it water purifying capsules and a small water filtering device. it takes a 1.5 x 1.5 ft space and yes it is in the way but so be it!
edit on 2-11-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358

Originally posted by ceetee
reply to post by pheonix358

sorry i dont live in NY, i live in the UK, however I find your lack of understanding and brash statements to be incorrect. I live in a small 1 bed flat here in the uk. I have virtually no storage space, so under the BED is already jammed with my own stuff. At best, i could store 3 days extra food in this flat and no more. You appear to be clueless and talking out of your backside

We were talking about an apartment not a bloody bedsit! Way to go! While your at it knock off the poor attitude.

So. you could not possibly find any space at all for a 10Kg bag of rice to keep you alive for an emergency. THROW SOMETHING OUT! Make the room! Unless you want to wait for your Prime Minister to come and rescue you. Perhaps the Queen can send Charlie!

And you say I'm clueless! Good grief Charlie Brown!

P

True, in fact I have changed my chair and foot stool into hollow ones so they can hold stuff...there are always ways if it is important to you. People on the news shouting "Where is the HELP" we need help we have no water no food...they were given warnings and still did not prepare because it is always someone else who should take care of them.

We must learn to rely on ourselves more and the governing bodies less...if we are smart.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Smurfwicked

in area that has homes only 6 feet above sea level

Isn't it sad that we do not keep the development from these places and leave them for all to just enjoy. So much more responsible to not become a dense population on the beach!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by darkhorserider

Categories are misleading. Wind speeds are not the only indicator of a storm. You are only focusing on one thing. But this storm was a record breaker and will end up being the second most costly after Katrina. It is already outpacing Irene.

What made Sandy bad was several things.

it was the largest hurricane ever recorded. It was twice the size of Katrina when it made landfall.

The Pressue, was the lowest ever seen north of Carolina. While the winds were a cat 1, the pressure made it a very strong storm.

The timing, the surge from the very low pressure storm, coincided with high tide, causing floods to break the record in NY by 5 ft.

This storm made every worst case scenario, that was predicated, come true.

Not many hurricanes turn into a blizzard to dump three feet of snow on other states.

Now you can keep playing your little, my storm was worse then yours game and pretend that it was hyped up, which is wasn't. Or you can see it for the catastrophe that it was.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Not to mention that they also have grants to encourage people to grow their own food and be self sustaining. But that isn't as sensational as saying that they will come and accuse you of being terrorists.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You need to re-read. I agree with you. I said about the same thing, wind speeds are only a small piece of the puzzle. This storm would not have been a big deal in Florida, but it is a big deal in New York. I'm not playing the "my storm is worse than your storm" game. I'm saying anybody that doesn't have a minimum of 7 days supplies on hand is an idiot. You can gripe at me for that stance, but not for the storm stance, LOL!

See this post
edit on 2-11-2012 by darkhorserider because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In viewing the news, and more accurately what is not in the news...

What I see happening there should serve as an example to all of just how fragile our infrastructure is.

It is sad that the news media are not representing the event as bad as it seems to be. In reporting from friends in the NJ area it seems a good many people are getting desperate in search for supplies.

I read somewhere that we are all three meals away from societal collapse. While this is a regional issue for sure it is a densely populated one with some drama to ensue if things do not improve quickly.

The colder it gets, the longer it goes on the more people will be competing for a diminished supply of needed items.

I am a suspicious person by nature (why I am on ATS) and the timing of the event and its possible impact on the election seems to be too convenient an opportunity for the Failboat-in-Chief to look more Presidential.
edit on 2/11/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I am fine thank you, I am spending alot of time with our Fire Dept helping people. I can spend more time as my family is safe and has power.

Dude, you're awesome!
So glad to hear back from you! Power is back on and the streets are being cleared in your area. Items 1 and 2 on the list. Just in time too as you know temperatures will be dipping in the next few days. Stay warm, dry and close to your family at night.

Someone please knight this guy...

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by hanyak69
By the way where was obama bin laden when Texas and colorado burned last year, the last ten years have been brutal down in south Texas with almost no help. It is okay though we are used to it.....

Obama was in Colorado the day after the Colorado Spring fire consumed the valley full of homes. I don't know about Texas, but he was here in Colorado during our worst fire in history.

God Bless,

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
We're pretty lucky, only lost power for a day, but we have a generator. Since we didn't use the genny much I've got 30 gallons of gas left sitting in the garage, (already gave 20 out the 50 to my buddy for his genny) Besides losing the aluminum siding off of the front of the house, we lucked out. I feel bad for my friends that were ill prepared for this, and I hope everyone makes it through ok.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Wow, your reading comprehension must suck. He took wire from broken downed lines...They'd probably have to replace those lines once they got the power line poles back up anyway. He probably did them a favor.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Some of you should enjoy this thread, i just posted.I didnt BELIEVE in ZOMBIES til i met SANDY This situation in NY is different than any other hurricane, tornado, natural disaster; simply because of the amount of PEOPLE that have been affected by this. NY/NJ have MILLIONS of people living there. MILLIONS. And that's only in NY/NJ. Seaside to NY is about a 2 hour trip. Most of the houses that were destroyed, were owned by people that worked in NY. Getting back to work, is not a main priority, when you have no where to live. I'm PRETTY SURE, their boss will understand. Keep in mind, New Jersey is the 10th wealthiest state in the nation. If they don't have those trains up and running SOON....we all are in DEEP TROUBLE.

IMHO....i sincerely believe this IS that SHTF scenario, we've ALL been waiting for. Read my thread and see why i believe this to be true. I'm from NY/NJ...and i'm wise enough to know: THIS IS NOT GOOD! I'm not trying to "fear-monger"....i'm just tellin' you like it is.

My friends have been reporting that the gas lines are super long, at every gas station...and the power is "on and off". There's also reports of a Nor'easter coming to town. Don't forget how cold it gets there.

If the gas stations are empty....HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO FILL UP A FEW MILLION CARS? How many trucks would EACH STATION need, to fill the demand? Now, multiply that by an ENTIRE STATE? Well...the heart of the state, NYC included.

Let's also take into consideration, what SEASON we're in. This is the busiest season for NYC and it's currently SHUT DOWN. Thanksgiving is in a few weeks, followed by Christmas and New Years. These are IMPORTANT holidays for the entire nation....not just NYC. Put it like this....the majority of rich people...have been WIPED OUT. Imagine all the $$$ the economy is going to lose over this. Forget that they added 200,000 jobs...when a million or so...just lost EVERYTHING.

And, for those taking this like a Katrina type scenario, i say this: that would be "cool" if it just hit Seaside and surrounding areas...but this dumped a GAZILLION gallons of water into an electrical system. Put your computer in a bathtub, fill it with water, and let me know what happens.

1st they have to pump the water out!
2nd they have to inspect the damage
3rd they have to clean the debris, including bodies, i'm sure.
4th they have to COMPLETELY DRY, repair, replace, and rewire an entire subway system.

This is equivalent to rebuilding the towers...and look at how long that took. Matter of fact, this is like a heart transplant. This thing aint gonna be fixed in a week...like they've been BS'n the public about. No...this is gonna take....a looooooong time. Unless they already had their "plans" in order.

Let me also add this: i just spoke to another friend, who works in Wall St...and he informed me he hasn't worked all week; he has no power; he has no heat.

Times Square New York, Nov. 2, 2012

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

Originally posted by hanyak69
By the way where was obama bin laden when Texas and colorado burned last year, the last ten years have been brutal down in south Texas with almost no help. It is okay though we are used to it.....

Obama was in Colorado the day after the Colorado Spring fire consumed the valley full of homes. I don't know about Texas, but he was here in Colorado during our worst fire in history.

God Bless,

Obama completely ignored Texas. Gov. Perry even asked and was rebuffed.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

I am fine thank you, I am spending alot of time with our Fire Dept helping people. I can spend more time as my family is safe and has power.

Dude, you're awesome!
So glad to hear back from you! Power is back on and the streets are being cleared in your area. Items 1 and 2 on the list. Just in time too as you know temperatures will be dipping in the next few days. Stay warm, dry and close to your family at night.

I am back ...got a chance to rest...this old 59 year old body is taking a beating
...but I am in good shape...have a couple of families with young kids coming over to sleep over and have a hot meal and a hot shower...It's still bad ..temps droping into the low 30's...we evacuated a senior citizens project with no heat and food to a safe area ..over 200...today helped the National Guard clearing tree's and delivering MRE'S and water...Not geting any better %50 plus in our town and sourounding town in the same shape...The power co. UI ,CLP have blown it again like last year and we have a Noreaster blowing in next wensday... sorry for the spelling ...I'm beat.....Gotta go know another alarm coming in... once again any body needs help get in touch! God bless all!

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954
We were lucky to get our power back on this morning and suffered no damage! But my God it is bad...a friend of mine in the town next door to Trumbull, in Easton a Vol. Firefighter like myself lost his life when responding to a alarm when a tree fell on his truck and killed him.

It's tuff to find food and gas. I am not gonna post any links, you just have to look at the news.
My Prayers go out to all that are suffering cause of the storm.

One day at a time.
You got your power back on...aces.

As far as deaths from this storm. Just keep sharp. Random fires are now your concern from what I have been watching. aka, power goes on in a home that has water in it still, shorts out, electrical fire, etc...so have a plan for safety should your neighbors house suddenly explode in flames, and know where your local shelter and food banks are.

Also, power is back on...so check to see if there are some restaurants in the local area opening up if you forgot to stock your supply. It could go one of two ways though, some restaurants will be giving discount food, some will try to soak you...depends on who is running it I guess and how they feel about capitalizing on a disaster.

Northerners are made of tough stuff though. good communitys there, so just get together and start helping one another would be my advice...you may have low food, but your neighbor who has cases of spam may be low on toilet paper that you got tons of...that sort of thing.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nighthawk1954

Originally posted by intrptr

Dude, you're awesome!

I am back ...got a chance to rest...this old 59 year old body is taking a beating
...but I am in good shape...have a couple of families with young kids coming over to sleep over and have a hot meal and a hot shower...It's still bad ..temps droping into the low 30's...we evacuated a senior citizens project with no heat and food to a safe area ..over 200...today helped the National Guard clearing tree's and delivering MRE'S and water...Not geting any better %50 plus in our town and sourounding town in the same shape...The power co. UI ,CLP have blown it again like last year and we have a Noreaster blowing in next wensday... sorry for the spelling ...I'm beat.....Gotta go know another alarm coming in... once again any body needs help get in touch! God bless all!

The blessing of no power is that you really don't know what to do with the extra time.
Sitting around a candlelit room gets dull.
in 05, we had 4 hurricanes hit here (florida). I spent most of my time going around cutting trees down and reroofing peoples homes, then helped drywalling areas after (mold is a killer and will be the longest pain in the arse people will be dealing with). I was working 14-16 hour days...and didn't mind..its not like I was missing anything on the tube or would rather go play a game. the whole no electric thing sort of tossed that out.

Keeps you sane also..the constantly doing something.

The worth of a person is shown during disasters.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join