It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Undercover pigeon carrying WW2 secrets found

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sealing
Super cool story find Pharoh.
I dare you to change the title to
"WW2 carrier pigeon found......ALIVE !"

hahahaa

i actually read the whole story before posting this time lol

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This is pretty cool in my opinion: finding a encoded message from WWII and trying to find out what it said after all this time.

But, and I'm sorry to bring this up, but I did also find this rather amusing.......

Exactly how do pigeons "go undercover"?

I know, you have to use the articles title, but still, it left me with images of pigeons in Nazi Germany walking around with swastika armbands, hehehehehehe,

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I hope the secret message is something so intense is explodes the minds of half the planet. To realise the information on it is so important it tears a rip in time space and your underwear. Seriously though, hope we have the cypher soon and hopefully it hasn't been secretly censored.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraks
Here is the code.

27x 5 = 135 letters in the cipher

Not sure if this helps anyone willing to work it out?
edit on 1-11-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

Working on it at the moment!,however,if the alpha numeric groupings are dependant upon the corresponding enigma machine settings from the day of transmission,may take a while.as it would should the groupings be generated from an agents one time pad.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Clearly the journalist who typed this article was so excited they couldn't think straight.
I know being a typo nazi is bad form in forums, but I also think it's ok to attack the media.

Pigeon enthusiasts are now calling for the bird to be posthumously decorated with the Dickin Meddal - the highest possible decoration for valour given to animals.
So far more than 60 animals have recievd the accoldage

edit on 1-11-2012 by alfa1 because: To make khimbar happy

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
Clearly the journalist who typed this article was so excited they couldnt think straight.
I know being a typo nazi is bad form in forums, but I also think its ok to attack the media.

Pigeon enthusiasts are now calling for the bird to be posthumously decorated with the Dickin Meddal - the highest possible decoration for valour given to animals.
So far more than 60 animals have recievd the accoldage

edit on 1-11-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

That would be 'couldn't' and 'it's'.

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Looking at the scrip, upon which the cypher is written, the only thing that strikes me as interesting, is that things like the date, sender, and all that sort of stuff, are absent. Unless that information is ALSO in code (highly bloody unlikely if you ask me). There are marked grid spaces for those data, and yet they are not there to be seen. Now, maybe those have been removed for some misguided reason of national security (I mean really? Most peoples computers are better at code cracking than anything Bletchly sodding Park ever came up with these days, so what could the date possibly give away) but if that is not the case, then I wonder why they were not put on the document in the first place.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

It says:
21 december 2012

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I love these kinds of things. Used to do cryptograms all the time when I was younger. I really think I might give this a shot.

Can anyone see any mistakes in my copy down?

AOAKN HVPKD FNFJU YIDDC
RQXDR DJHFP GOVFN MIAPX
PABUZ WYYNP CMPNW HJRZH.
NLXKG MEMEK ONOIB AREEQ
UAOTA. RBQRH DJOFM TPZEH
LKXEH RGGHT JRZCQ FNKTQ
KLDTS GQIRU AOAKN

Things that jump out right away... :

AOAKN (at the front and end).

Pairs of D, E, G, K, and Y. (helpful assuming this is substitution based cipher, and only if they are really "paired")

Found this little tool while surfing the web, to anyone who wants to try: The Black Chamber

Wish me luck..
edit on 1-11-2012 by yubiaden because: spelling derp

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
wow now THIS is interesting!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Historically, upon discovering a WW2 carrier pigeon, you were required to take the message capsule, unopened to the nearest police station. To open it, was classed as an act of espionage, and punished accordingly.

I wonder if those laws were ever technically repealed.

I'd love to know what it says.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brettcal82
When Mr Martin showed his neighbour - and former Secret Agent - the coded letter his reaction was startling:

When I showed him the bird and code the blood drained from his face and he advised us to back off... He said nothing would ever be published."

After 70 years, how secret could it be?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is awesome! good luck to all the code crackers!

Hope its something interesting... or funny that would be good too

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

watch it be a your mom joke

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It probably say "front lines have run out of tea send some more ASAP, will not be able to stop the men from revolting soon, send tea quick".

But seriously what a find hope it's not still classified.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Do we know if the bird was heading to the front or returning.??
A quick translation from the front lines
" In future please send chicken "

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Poor guy. Here he is in his younger, more alive days:

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It reads as follows:

HITLE RHASO NLYGO TONEB
ALLGO RINGH ASTWO BUTVE
RYSMA LLHIM MLERI SSOME
WHATS IMLAR. BUTPO ORGOE
BBELS HASNO BALLS ATALL.

I kid.

The letter frequencies sure do not look like singular substitution. I've given up, but sure hope to find out what it says!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
My favorite comment under the news story:

"its a friend request"

Awesome story..can't wait to hear what the message is, if they find out (or let us know what it really is).

Truly amazing animals..I hope it receives its award.
edit on 11/1/2012 by toepick because: oops

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join