page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+36 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Undercover pigeon carrying WW2 secrets found

www.itv.com

Government code-breakers are working on deciphering a message that has remained a secret for 70 years.

It was found on the remains of a carrier pigeon that was discovered in a chimney, in Surrey, having been there for decades.

It is thought the contents of the note, once decoded, could provide fresh information from World War II.

BBC

Now codebreakers at GCHQ in Cheltenham are frantically trying to decipher the code to find out what the message that cost the pigeon it's life had to say

ITV
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
what a fasinating story...i would love to know what is written.
they have published the message....

the message seems lengthy...shall we try and decode?

i look forward to seeing your attempted translations...
i got to say...i do love these storys

it coud be asking for support, co-ordinates, or a pizza order? lol

www.itv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-11-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Love hearing stories like this, S+F from me wanna see how this pans out and whats on that note

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When Mr Martin showed his neighbour - and former Secret Agent - the coded letter his reaction was startling:

When I showed him the bird and code the blood drained from his face and he advised us to back off... He said nothing would ever be published."

– David Martin, found WW2 pigeon

Now codebreakers at GCHQ in Cheltenham are frantically trying to decipher the code to find out what the message that cost the pigeon it's life had to say.

seems intresting!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
A cryptic suicide note from the pigeon?

I doubt its going to take to long to decipher. Good luck to anyone who has a go

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Very interesting history with regards to homing pigeons during WW2, they were definately a invaluable resource during the destruction.

During World War II, the United Kingdom used about 250,000 homing pigeons. The Dickin Medal, the highest possible decoration for valor given to animals, was awarded to 32 pigeons, including the United States Army Pigeon Service's G.I. Joe and the Irish pigeon Paddy.

Very cool! I am sure some sensitive information these little guys carried potentially saved lives!

God speed mighty pigeon.

I personally hope that information of historical signifiance is found.

You never know, if future conflicts wreck havoc on modern communication systems, we may have to resorts to these guys once again
edit on 1-11-2012 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh
[more
could just be a coincidence butI notice at the bottom the NURP appear followed by numbers, NURP is/was the achronym of the National Union of Racing Pigeons if it still exist. Also seems to be a signature at the bottom which would be a bit odd for a top secret wartime document.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Here is the code.

27x 5 = 135 letters in the cipher

Not sure if this helps anyone willing to work it out?
edit on 1-11-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
either i am missing something - or this is the most over-hyped twaddle since "x factor "

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Now codebreakers at GCHQ in Cheltenham are frantically trying to decipher the code to find out what the message that cost the pigeon it's life had to say

I wonder why they are 'frantic'?

It's not like this info will change the outcome of WWII, unless of course it pertains to plans for a time machine!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by hotel1

Didn't the pigeons involved have branded leg rings, with nurp on it? If so then the ring on the leg might have more info, BUT I'd expect the finder to have already checked into that?

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
www.otr.com...
In the late 19th and earlier 20th Centuries, there were Code Books created because telegram messages were charged by the word. As many as ten characters in a grouping were considered a word by the telegraph companies. Commercial Code Books, such as the Acme Code Words, or the Bentley's Complete Phrase Code were available to companies, enabling them to send complex messages in only a few "words." For instance, if someone used a Bentley's, he or she might choose the following letter groupings:

DIZUH (contracts for)
DAELF (computing)
FEAVO (equipment)
RUGUB (has/have been signed)
KUKIB (New York)
CUGYA (commence)
OKGAP (production)
ICSCO (immediately).
edit on 1-11-2012 by brettcal82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Sorry Im not in the know about that

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The characters are grouped into fives that may tell us something. It might suggest that it is not text.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
The characters are grouped into fives that may tell us something. It might suggest that it is not text.

I think where cyphers are concerned letters are grouped like that to make it harder to crack the code by knowing the length of the words used in the message.

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Super cool story find Pharoh.
I dare you to change the title to
"WW2 carrier pigeon found......ALIVE !"

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

The letters NURP on the band represent the organization that issued that band. All bands are unique in the combination of organization, year issued, affiliated club and sequence number on the band. This is for tracking the bird when racing as it make for a unique ID.

The message entry seems to match the band, must be for record keeping and tracking message/bird.

Band id: NURP 37 OK 76 (The 6 can be seen next to the N on the band)

The bird was probably born and banded in 1937.

edit on 11/1/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)
edit on 11/1/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
apparently the colour of the plastic holder, determined the importance

good information about ho the pigeons wre used here
www.454-459squadrons.org.au...

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

I wonder why they are 'frantic'?

It's not like this info will change the outcome of WWII, unless of course it pertains to plans for a time machine!

'Can confirm Hitler had child STOP. Called Angela Dorothea STOP'

Unless it says that!

posted on Nov, 1 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Or...

"The Royals are Reptilians STOP"

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join