It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have We Ever Had a Presidential Election Like This?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Since my youth I've been fascinated by presidential campaigns throughout history by the ways campaigns have evolved and digressed, the critically important issues of each election, the arguments/positions of each party's candidate on the major issues of the day, and the impact of media on national campaign as well as how the medium impacts the message.

In comparing the presidential campaign of 2012 to historical races, I can honestly say that we've never had a campaign quite like this in terms of the lack of accountability, total negligence of any issues and where the candidates stand on the issues and how the plans they've outlined differ, the complete lack of civility or decorum during debates (something we haven't seen since the time of dueling) and absolutely no examination of either candidates' record during their time in office.

One striking issue for all Americans is the impact of the continuing economic recession/depression on our lives and look at this issue from a historical perspective.

The National Bureau of Economic Research's white paper "Deep Recessions, Fast Recoveries, and Financial Crises: Evidence from the American Record" www.clevelandfed.org... provides a complete history of America’s recessions. What that history reveals is that before this last recession, since the Great Depression recessions in America have lasted an average of 10 months, with the longest previously lasting 16 months.

When President Obama entered office in January, 2009, the recession was already in its 13th month. His responsibility was to manage a timely, robust recovery to get America back on track again. Based on the historical record, that recovery was imminent, within a couple of months or so.

The National Bureau of Economic Research scored the recession as ending in June, 2009. Yet, today, in the 59th month since the recession started, there has still been no real recovery, like recoveries from previous recessions in America.

With that historical knowledge, and keep in mind this is the most important issue that impacts every American directly in the most personal way, in the 2012 Presidential campaign we have not demanded accountability of either candidate:

1) The President is allowed to simply blame his predecessor for the lack of real economic improvement, improvement that doesn't need to be explained to people but improvement people can clearly see. Noting that "recessions in America have lasted an average of 10 months, with the longest previously lasting 16 month", we give the President a pass when he clearly had the time during his term to start and finish a new recession.

2) Neither Governor Romney or the President have had their plans to fix the economy scrutinized by the electorate in a manner that presents the plans to the public. Remember Ross Perot with his charts & graphs in 1992? Nothing like that this year and no real plan outlined by either candidate.

3) Debates have become a disgusting display of childlike fighting-- instead of explaining their vision for America and how their plans will impact the American public, both candidates find it more important to play the "Liar, liar pants on fire" game rather than provide a vision.

One final thought: The media floating the idea that a rain storm might or should force the postponement of the election would be the final nail in the coffin of the United States Constitution. Folks, we held a Presidential election while the United States was fighting a Civil War and we held Presidential elections before electricity was something people had; yet some moisture and the lack of power is being considered as a potential reason to postpone the election? It is historically baffling.

What happened to a world in which elections were about issues, candidates plans, an examination of track records and real fact checking? Clearly 2012 is a vacuum of any of this from either major candidate.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NickDC202

What happened to a world in which elections were about issues, candidates plans, an examination of track records and real fact checking? Clearly 2012 is a vacuum of any of this from either major candidate.

The world changed in 1964 when Corporate interest and their profits became the primary concern of government.

America is now ruled completely by the military/industrial complex. Politicians just give the illusion of elections, debates, campaigns and all the rest of the pomp and circumstance BS that typifies the phony "government of, for and by the people"

Even local politics reflects the preferential treatment of business over the citizens.

and before you label me as an "occupy" wacko; I have been an entrepenure and businessman for decades and
know how the system works.

edit on 30-10-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I agree with what you are saying. You might enjoy this article.

God help them if Obama and Romney ever had to participate in a real debate about a real issue at the Oxford Union. They would be massacred. The “debates” revealed that not only the candidates but also the entire country is completely tuned out to every real problem and dangerous development. For example, you would never know that US citizens can now be imprisoned and executed without due process. All that is required to terminate the liberty and life of an American citizen by his own government is an unaccountable decision somewhere in the executive branch.

www.paulcraigroberts.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

Originally posted by NickDC202

The world changed in 1964 when Corporate interest and their profits became the primary concern of government.

America is now ruled completely by the military/industrial complex. Politicians just give the illusion of elections, debates, campaigns and all the rest of the pomp and circumstance BS that typifies the phony "government of, for and by the people"

Even local politics reflects the preferential treatment of business over the citizens.

I appreciate your input and write this to clarify that I'm looking at it from the perspective of the public view of presidential campaigns and the urgency in which candidates presented their vision/plans to the electorate without noting how the public did not head President Eisenhower's warning of the coming "military industrial complex" but simply view it from a real evaluation of candidates on their issue of track record.

Does that make sense? I agree with your thoughts but am trying to avoid looking at these other, critically important factors which you rightfully mention almost to beg the question: Did American's change so dramatically in this century that we no longer believe in accountability and how a candidate will govern/how their policies might impact Americans lives? Does the American public really care more about out of context sound bytes from both sides argued about when they are inconsequential to their lives than the real issues that impact us?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GaiusMarius
I agree with what you are saying. You might enjoy this article.

God help them if Obama and Romney ever had to participate in a real debate about a real issue at the Oxford Union. They would be massacred. The “debates” revealed that not only the candidates but also the entire country is completely tuned out to every real problem and dangerous development. For example, you would never know that US citizens can now be imprisoned and executed without due process. All that is required to terminate the liberty and life of an American citizen by his own government is an unaccountable decision somewhere in the executive branch.

www.paulcraigroberts.org...

GaiusMarius : During the debates I was so disappointed and baffled by the lack of even a mention of / question about the NDAA and why someone who stated publicly he was against it signed it at the most convenient time when the public and media was on "vacation". Individuals "inalienable rights" can be taken away without any concern for the clearly defined process to alter what is outlined in the Constitution and its amendments. To me, this tends to be an important thing to highlight in an election.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's been mentioned that this election season is different from the ones we've had in the past, just based on how much the opposing voters are at odds with each other and how much zeal they hold. People are now so desperate that they believe the candidate of their choice is a superhero who will fix absolutely everything with the wave of a magic wand.
edit on 30-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Its quite simple really. Both candidates are mirror images of each other. The candidates and their campaign backers, who are pretty much the same people on both sides, know this. So they hide this by being as vague as possible on the real issues and differ slightly on matters of unimportance. They then viciously attack each other to create a further illusion of difference. The American public doesn't notice this because they are so used to this that they expect it, which blinds them to the fact that both candidates could care less about the general public. In addition the two major political parties have all the major news outlets under their control so they can spin the nonissues up and sweep the major things under the table. I mean that's why you don't have the candidates discussing issues like the NDAA, qe3, the patriot act, etc.

This whole charade called the elections is a farce. You've pointed out glaring inconsistencies as to why it is one, but the American public is so brainwashed that they won't notice until it is too late.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Someone's profile picture is of an evil Uncle Sam in the shadows wearing patriotic donkey and elephant puppets on his hands. I love the symbolism in that image.

top topics

join