It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

70 Trillion people affected, 13 Bajillion dollars in damage, Hurricane Sandy and media hype

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Also, I live near Cleveland, they are not hyping about 20' waves near the lake shore, a major artery into Cleveland is shut down because the waves are blowing clear across the highway, my Aunt lives up near Ashtabula (on the lake) and she her siding is blowing off and rain is blowing in around her patio door and windows...but no big deal, we're just hyping this, Oh yeah don't forget, up here it's not a 75-80 degree wind blowing, it's 35-45 degrees.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mccw2003

The only train derailment I know of was around 25 miles from my house in West Point Ky. It was leaking butadiene, which is extremely flammable and triggered the hazmat 3 alert.

The train derailed on Katherine Station Road north of the Salt River across from the Ohio Valley Speedway just after 6:30 a.m. At least one chemical -- butadiene -- was leaking from one of the derailed cars that had overturned and came to rest on its roof. Officials say the extremely flammable chemical is now contained. Crews have laid a blanket of foam around that car. When full, the tanker would hold 30,000 gallons, and it would take up to 14 hours to empty it.

WDRB 41

If this is the train derailment he is referring too I believe it is not as bad as he thinks and maybe why he deleted the post.

However, if I am wrong I will be one of the first to know

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sissel

Originally posted by amrith777
reply to post by beezzer

Looks like you're having to eat crow just like another regular ATS member here that had to eat his words earlier.Already things are devastating and with one more day to go--and the domino effect--things can only get worse.

Read THIS thread if you still hold that opinion: Hurricane Sandy:Live Coverage By ATS

Hey, people make mistakes. Beezer shouldn't have to eat crow...that's really just a rude thing to say. If anything Beezer might have been right about one thing, that being the "bajillion dollars in damage," in the title.....

It seems hype was appropriate in this situation or as far as people being affected. It does make me wonder how many more deaths there might have been if this wasn't hyped.

Yes.*I* am the one being rude.I didn't just get to ATS yesterday,and I am NOT the only person who has called that ATS member out.This isn't about a *mistake*.This is about a deliberate and calculated post made to undermine the disaster occurring and make light of it.The TONE is what I have a problem with,and I have every right to give my opinion.
If a person says "Gee,guys...anyone think that this may be overblown and maybe the MSN is hyping this?Or do ya'll think there may really be something to this?"I would have NO problem with it.If I am rude for calling out someone,as others have done along with me,then so be it.Look at my time here and my post history.I am a 47 year old woman taking care of a 78 year old father and a disabled brother.I don't have time to post things just for the LULZ.
You are entiltled to your opinion.I have been a member of ATS for years,and was a long time lurker before I registered.I have watched this site self-destruct over time and I usually stay silent.This morning--I have posted my opinion and I stand by it.Too many people are too quick to post anything with no thought or sensitivity and are star and flag seekers.I am not saying that about the OP,I'm just pointing it out.The amount of latitude allowed here lately is unbelieveable.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Over the years ATS has not been too soft on people who start threads with prophecy of things to come that then don't happen. We've seen them repeatedly and they are treated pretty roughly...especially when their prediction date passes and nothing happened.

So what's the difference here? beezer chose to ridicule the warnings to people in the path of this storm. beezer asked the question in his OP

As a society, are we becoming immune to drama?

I guess for beezer and several others the answer is an unequivocal YES. If you choose to prophetically ridicule the warnings of a pending natural disaster prior to it happening, then you're no different than someone coming on here and...using beezer's mot du jour..."hype" their catastrophic prediction when there is no real foundation for doing so. He should expect the same disdain when the date/event passes and he was wrong. The whole "goose/gander" thing applies.

But I do agree that beezer should not be expected to eat crow....not one this big. We don't have enough salt for him to get it done.

The title to the thread, intentionally created by beezer, and the tone and statements of his OP were ridiculing and demeaning to the situation at hand. It's there for the record.
edit on 10-30-2012 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

I sure appreciate your addition to the information. With everyone writing what they see locally, I think we get a fairly solid idea of what is happening and without need for the interpretation of media. This is more accurate when people are working together to help each other. I wish you all well up there in Michigan. The cold just adds insult to injury with the loss of power. I hope you're all set up there for the interruption with whatever you normally have for heavy winter storms?

...and to think, this time yesterday many of us had thoughts of Irene and storms which never became problems and warranted jokes. (sigh).... If only this could have run out of juice or gone back out to sea like so many before it.

edit on 30-10-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: typo

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

The title to the thread, intentionally created by beezer, and the tone and statements of his OP were ridiculing and demeaning to the situation at hand. It's there for the record.

I completely agree, but it wasn't just Beezer......I was shocked to see some of the comments from other members as well.

I went through Katrina and Rita, and a few other hurricanes in my time in Louisiana. If there is one thing I learned, it is always best to over prepare. If you have left over supplies, all the better for next time.

You never know with these types of storms how bad they are going to be.

It was completely irresponsible to give people the feeling that this was over hyped, and as said above, I only hope that other members here that lived in the path of this storm were not affected because of somebody creating a thread that basically told people not to worry........

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Sissel

Well, while we agree in the foundational substance of the argument, I have to say that if someone was goober enough to take a cranky crankerson's word over the plethora (i.e. "hype" to some people) of information from experts and NOT prepare for this storm...they are dumb dumbs who are either living through or dying through a painful lesson.

Everyone has to take credit for their own decisions. I know...it's a philosophy foreign to the current societal mindset, but it's true.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Everyone get your Spear and Magic Helmet !

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by amrith777

Yes.*I* am the one being rude.I didn't just get to ATS yesterday,and I am NOT the only person who has called that ATS member out.This isn't about a *mistake*.This is about a deliberate and calculated post made to undermine the disaster occurring and make light of it.The TONE is what I have a problem with,and I have every right to give my opinion.

Hey, I was being facetious in my post, really I was. I completely agree about the tone that this thread took on quite early yesterday. While Beezer created the thread, it was amazing to me to see some of the outright nasty comments made by others. I got the impression that a lot of haters were really enjoying this thread, to the point of calling for harm to come to others because we, Americans are whiners....etc...

Like you I am sure this thread was distressing. I am not sure if it was this one, but quite a few people were chiming in about taking care of their children through out this.

I'm glad to read that you are here today, and able to contribute, and that you and yours are okay!

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This storm has come inland over Pennsylvania, and unlike hurricanes down south which blow through over night or 2 days max, and make their way north, this storm has stalled over PA and is now going to slowly start moving north east. WV is getting hammered with snow and they have issued a blizzard warning, 50 mile an hour winds with 1 foot (bottom of the mountains) to 3 feet (top of the mountains) of wet snow. Do any of you southerners know what 2-3 feet of wet snow does to a roof?

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
why did the moderator close the other thread?
the other one was better, nothing but people arguing here

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

edit on 30-10-2012 by CitizenJack because: not contributing anything positive to thread.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by beezzer

I think given shocking damage and number of deaths in the wake of this truly devastating Super-storm it is possible the media are under reporting the ruins left because they are still hunkering down and in hiding.

Perhaps it is well past time to relegate this "kind of nutty" thread to the HOAX section where it more appropriately belongs out of respect for the dead and protection of innocent by standers in the path of Sandy, who might heed this shockingly ill informed and inaccurate message.

I am truly fearful and awaiting news of my own family in NY who have lost power and all communication. This kind of reporting is not only unbelievable but quite uncharacteristic and truly surprising coming from source.

edit on 30-10-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

yeah so far here in PA we have 16 dead, several million without power and countless damage. i have been blessed and have no loss at this time and i wish i could say that for everyone. last evening was scary, listening to the wind blow 125' trees towards my home was quite unnerving to say the least.

hype, in some cases, is a blessing as well and i'm quite certain there would be more deaths and injuries if everyone thought it was no real concern.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

edit on 30-10-2012 by CitizenJack because: double post

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

Quick! Whats that! (points frantically!)

(hops off and hides in hole) Kill da wabbit indeed...
What did I do? (innocent smile)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Right now there are two stories on the edge of the mainstream news, being displaced by Sandy: The BBC/Jimmy Saville paedophile ring, and Benghazigate.

Sandy is a big storm for the area. But its real hype is to displace stories that need displacing: the US and British government are in deep dook.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

My viewpoint:

It is a hurricane. If people need to be warned to take shelter and/or evacuate during a hurricane, then our gene pool might need cleansing.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I was wondering if you was going to comment on that!

No, the OTHER rabbit ... Seems like a lynch mob is forming to ambush Beezer when he comes back ...

*Grabs spear and magic helmet*

*Hides*

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I still haven't been assleep i have done a 14hr shift and i can't sleep i am worried about
you guys!.

My condoloences to the dead and for america in general.

Denver22 from the uk.

There are peple who really care over here ..

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by denver22

I just want to say on behalf of some who have no electrical power to say it themselves...and at least one friend I'm hoping to hear from today outside NYC...your sentiments mean a lot. Thanks and I've caught many of your posts across the evening. It's been good to know folks outside the U.S. have their thoughts focused on people here making it through this.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join