It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane #Sandy - Live coverage by ATS members

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by unphased

Check out my last post.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PrestonSpace

this storm is supposed to sit over us (NYC area) for 4 high tides. To give you an idea as to how rare that is, my dad, who's 78, and has spent 50+ years out on the east end of long island, said he cannot recall one storm lasting more than 1 high tide.

The city is quiet. Rain is here, not real bad. Winds are picking up but, for the most part, this has been mild so far. the cancellation of schools and whatnot was a wise precaution.

Tunnels are closing or closed. Bridges will close when the winds hit 40 mph. (they might already be closed)

Parts of the FDR and West Side Highway are under water. Battery Park City is also under water.

Out east, Westhampton Beach was getting tagged with 50 mph gusts early this morning and the area is already flooded.

The devastation has been bad on the east end and the worst, apparently, is yet to come.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
wind is picking up pretty quick
just had it flicker might lose power soon

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by PrestonSpace

this storm is supposed to sit over us (NYC area) for 4 high tides. To give you an idea as to how rare that is, my dad, who's 78, and has spent 50+ years out on the east end of long island, said he cannot recall one storm lasting more than 1 high tide.

The city is quiet. Rain is here, not real bad. Winds are picking up but, for the most part, this has been mild so far. the cancellation of schools and whatnot was a wise precaution.

Tunnels are closing or closed. Bridges will close when the winds hit 40 mph. (they might already be closed)

Parts of the FDR and West Side Highway are under water. Battery Park City is also under water.

Out east, Westhampton Beach was getting tagged with 50 mph gusts early this morning and the area is already flooded.

The devastation has been bad on the east end and the worst, apparently, is yet to come.

According to the latest numbers I saw, we have 30mph winds, sustained here in #baltimore.

So NYC maybe an hour or 2 more? I remember hearing the tunnels would close at 2pm.

Battery Park is always first to go. smh

remember though. the bulk of the storm hasn't even waved at us yet.. Stay safe

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by obnoxiouschick
wind is picking up pretty quick
just had it flicker might lose power soon

Make sure all your stuff is charged and be sparse with using your battery up.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
No doubt that a gust was just in upwards of 50 mph.

downtown #baltimore

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Yep burning heart and clearing eyes. Wow. I need to send that one around.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Interactive storm surge example:
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

for anyone who missed this

Thanks Antar

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Needless to say you are loved, be safe and take care of your family, we will be here. Remember your protective light.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
FOX news now...Sandy sinks historic ship off NC Coast. 2 crew members still missing....will find link to post.

ETA: Link

Tall-masted ship sinks in Sandy's path

U.S. Coast Guard helicopters have rescued 14 of the 17 people who abandoned their three-masted ship that took on water and later sank in the path of Hurricane Sandy, the CBC reported.

The 17 had donned life jackets and survival suits and abandoned the HMS Bounty after sending out a distress signal.

The ship's Facebook page said 14 of the 17 had been rescued by 8 a.m. ET.
www.stargazette.com...|mostpopular|text|FRONTPAGE

Des
edit on 29-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Going to go have a smoke, make some coffee, and hopefully get a shower in before the power goes. From the sounds outside and from what every media outlet is saying, Sandy is approaching and she is pissed off about something. Stay safe fellow New Yorkers, and everyone in this storms path.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Are you a US citizen?

That is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetary. They are called the Guards of Honor.

It has been continuously gaurded since 1938.

Though they have a guardhouse they stand in, the Guards have never left it no matter what happens.

www.arlingtoncemetery.mil...

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

yeah, the news just said that the hurricane hasn't, technically, hit and that we also haven't had the combined impact of the three storms, just yet. 6PM is when we're supposed to start getting hairy here.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001
reply to post by St Udio

I hope this is not some weather-modification trick to induce national emergency in your country. Mount Weather is just waiting for an National Emergency to impose martial law and take possession of governing bodies and civilian ressources.

me too

but ... like the Øbama Administration says:

"Never Let a Crisis Go-To-Waste"
edit on 29-10-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Remember your protective light.

My son has declared himself the protective light. He's wearing a head mounted LED and he has 6 small LED flashlights tied around his waist.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I have the heat cranking in the house. LOL I am sitting here sweating. But if I lose power, I want to keep warmth a little.

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Remember your protective light.

My son has declared himself the protective light. He's wearing a head mounted LED and he has 6 small LED flashlights tied around his waist.

Bless his positive little heart.....

Des

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

yeah, the news just said that the hurricane hasn't, technically, hit and that we also haven't had the combined impact of the three storms, just yet. 6PM is when we're supposed to start getting hairy here.

Likewise, about 3 more hours of increasing rain and wind speeds to go... man.....

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
To put things in perspective, the Southern quadrant of the wind field stretches as far south as South Carolina, so as Sandy makes landfall, areas in a Texas wide swath of land, will have to deal with the winds coming in from an opposite direction for far longer than they did when the storm approached.

Source: www.wunderground.com...

This means that the entire North East may experience tropical storm force winds for 4 - 7 days!

This amount of wind is what's causing the storm surge to arrive this far ahead of the storm and it will only swell as the tide rises, and the center of the storm approaches land.

edit on 29-10-2012 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The guy on News 12 NJ just said he expects that 80% of NJ will be out of power tonight!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join