It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If i were to start a social network that would truly be about what a social network should be, no privacy intrusion, no data mining, no spying or any other violations of our rights, how many of you would join and try to make it rival facebook?

I had this idea half a year or more ago and it still bugged me if any person of this community would have considered joining in and trying to turn the internet into what it should be, bit by bit.

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

I had the same thoughts, then I realised we are only allowed to do what THEY allow us to do.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Not if you do not rely on them to help you, that's why i considered asking for help from members of this community.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

I have never joined a "social network" nor do I ever intend to. If I wish to contact someone of relate my current activities to someone I will either go see them or pick up the phone and call them.

I think while you are well intentioned eventually your network would change. At some point it would require outside funding and you would need advertisers. Your site would grow even bigger and you would require even more funding, most likely from outside investors- who always have strings attached. Eventually the need for capital for a growing business usually leads to a lowering of standards in the ethics department. Facebook started much the same way that you propose, and look what has happened.

Do you think when Zuckerberg and his buddies started Facebook they realized what it would become? The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Greed destroys good ideas, and none of us are above temptation.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR

Not if you do not rely on them to help you, that's why i considered asking for help from members of this community.

One day you'll recieve a message from TPTB, it'll say "Run it our way or we'll consider you a terrorist"
edit on 19-10-2012 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

I don't know exactly how it all works, but how could control privacy and data mining? If the site was inflitrated by people seeking to mine data they would just join....and unless you rig up certain types "security" isn't our IP address's pretty easy to track down?

But yeah, I would check out your sight if you made one...still would come to ATS too...
lol....now question for you, let's say you make a site and it becomes very popular and you are then approached by someone who wants to buy it for big bucks.....would you turn down the offer?

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Zuckerberg didn't know about the "evil"(?) interests that govern our lives. If he knew i bet he wouldn't have made deals with them. I think its now too late for him to back down.

Luckily i'm not a US citizen so those rules don't apply to such an extent, and i think some people are willing to take that risk.

reply to post by MountainLaurel

Privacy is not that big of a problem to get by. IPs can be hard to track on an active website if you come from a third party source and if some security is put in place it can become impossible. About data mining it can be done by outside sources, but hard. I wont tell you why because its boring technical stuff that bores even me sometimes.

And yes, i would refuse any offer to buy it. If i want to make money i can do it with other means or by using the website itself if i really need to but i would never allow anyone touch my work or turn it into some (insert foul language here).

But i want you to note that this was am idea i had some time ago not a plan i will do in the future, although if interest is high i could consider making it, if not, its no use putting money in dead ends.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

You mean like this?

joindiaspora.com...

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No, not open source, you never know what piece of code is vulnerable because you can never check all of it, its just too much.

top topics

join