It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants to quit smoking with me?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
I quit for 6 months during 2011/2012 - even through the holidays! It was awesome. I worked out 6 days a week, twice on Tuesdays and felt awesome!

I went to a movie with my cousin who smoked the whole way there and all the way back, offering me a smoke. I folded and it was such a mistake. NO - you can not have just one. One quickly turned into 20-30.

I tried a few more times and couldn't get more than six days strung together. Then my phone rang in August with an offer I couldn't refuse. I have always said I would never be a part of medical experiments but big pharma has big bucks. They asked me to be part of smoking study which they would pay me 2k whether I quit or not! I have to take Chantix (which isn't right for me but isn't horrible) along with an anti-depressant (I hate all forms of these) and a nicotine patch. Unfortunately, the only placebo I'm receiving is the one I wanted the real of - the patch!

So I've been on these drugs for 3 weeks and it's time to pick a quit date. They told me not to push myself so early but I have a dental appointment for a teeth cleaning on Tuesday so I will join your movement at that time. Please don't judge me for the drugs

We can do this!

Edit to add: I have to see a doctor weekly as they increase the Chantix. This drug is so nasty that people have committed homicides & completed suicides while on it. He asked me if I was having any homicidal or suicidal thoughts and I replied "No more than usual." Bwahaha - his face!!!

edit on 10/18/2012 by Whisper67 because: Add-on ;P

WAHOOOO seriously look up that crap.

My husband and I tried it. Holy crap, the nightmares.
It is horrible.
Really you have to research that stuff it is bad bad just bad stuff..... I'm not kidding.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I am in ! Let's do it.
I remember a well known radio host say for him " All it takes is a little Resolve"
I put it behind me by His grace.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Can I still be part of the gang if I already commited the non-act 4 days prior

I quit alcohol, the fancier puffages, and smoking on my 30th...the 14th.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I quit for 8 months once in 2001 when I was going to have surgery in december, but I can't seem to quit since. If you are quitting I will too, but be truthfull if you breakdown and smoke a cigarette let me know. I will do the same.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Maybe,invite people to post and talk who plan on quitting within a week .?

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by moniesisfun
Can I still be part of the gang if I already commited the non-act 4 days prior

I quit alcohol, the fancier puffages, and smoking on my 30th...the 14th.

Good work!

I'm actually really tempted to quit drinking as well - but I don't want to completely destroy my mind ...

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amesT

That's part of this whole thread - I want to write how I'm feeling, what I'm going through - I'd like to think all of you keep checking back on this thread and sharing your thoughts / support / ideas.

Like an ATS group therapy session

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Not preaching here, just a little advice if you're willing to take it. I (chain) smoked for 20 plus years and was able to quit using the patch. I picked up the habit for a few months last year after the death of my mother, then quit cold turkey.

My advice- get thru the hour, then the day. Achieving small goals motivated me to stick to it. The desire for it weakens as you go on.

Good luck to you and all who join you.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xzorter

Maybe,invite people to post and talk who plan on quitting within a week .?

For sure - through ATS, or normal people in ... the real world. Which would mean all the standard, "What, you believe in UFO's and stuff?!"

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando
As the subject suggests - I am giving up cigarettes as of today.

I've just thrown my almost full pack in the bin - I'm not going to use patches or gum, as I want to cold turkey.

Who wants to join me in this ride? We can help motivate ourselves.

... wish me luck!

I'm almost two months in but I'll continue to quit with you. I can be your scout and tell you what hells lie over the next hill.

By the way, congratulations on your decision.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I've just thrown my almost full pack in the bin - I'm not going to use patches or gum, as I want to cold turkey.

... wish me luck!

I'm almost two months in but I'll continue to quit with you. I can be your scout and tell you what hells lie over the next hill.

hha thanks for joining!

I've quit before, went almost 2 years, then got back into it.

But I'm now 31, with a young child, and always wanted to stop before I was in my 30's, so it's he perfect time to kick it now.

posted on Oct, 18 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

... wish me luck!

hha thanks for joining!

But I'm now 31, with a young child, and always wanted to stop before I was in my 30's, so it's he perfect time to kick it now.

That's weird... I quite before for almost 2 years and the started again about a year ago.

I'm in my early 30's, with a 3 year old, and always wanted to stop before I was 30. I think we just served as one another's omens. We have to quit now.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

... wish me luck!

hha thanks for joining!

That's weird... I quite before for almost 2 years and the started again about a year ago.

I'm in my early 30's, with a 3 year old, and always wanted to stop before I was 30. I think we just served as one another's omens. We have to quit now.

Hello Mr. Omen!

Damn - if this isn't a sign to put down the cancer stick, then I don't know what is!

Can you make sure you check back on here regularly and let me know how you are going

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Will do.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
It's a Great idea to quit smoking - if you can. I quit almost 2 years ago after smoking for 22 years.. I could not quit cold turkey. Tried the gum, patches, lozenges, those fake hollow tube cigarettes with a nicotine in the filters ( designed to ween you down), nothing worked. The habit of having a cig in my hand and the cravings of the smoke chemicals were too great.

What did work for me was using an Electronic Cigarette. I made the switch clean and have never smoked since.
I mention this because some of you may have as hard a time quitting as I did. If so, an E-cig can be your life saver.

I learned a lot about why we get addicted to cigarettes. It's not just nicotine at all and in fact, ingesting nicotine by itself can only give you a very mild addiction - nothing like the cravings we get in cigarettes. Cigarettes are so strong, not because of nicotine but because we get addicted to a huge chemical soup made from the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco. Many are known to have addictive properties stronger than nicotine and there are many that we still don't know how they effect the body. The tobacco companies know this so they allowed one chemical, nicotine to be the fall guy because they didn't want to release the rest of the data. Now we have one tobacco company that has stated there are 600 chemicals that are added to cigarettes during manufacturing and they create more chemicals when tobacco is combusted - thousands of chemicals.

Scientists tell us ( these are real scientists, not scientists that work for Big Tobacco) that nicotine is only about as addictive and harmful as caffeine. They are both vascular constrictors and both are mild central nervous system stimulants. Nicotine does not cause cancer it's not classed as a carcinogen, it does not cause heart or lung disease - it's the combustibles in cigarettes, the smoke itself that causes these problems. It's considered, if your healthy enough to drink coffee, your healthy enough to use an electronic cigarette

My doctors tell me my body is healing from 22 years of smoking damage at the rate of a person who quit cold turkey. Even though I choose to inhale a vapor with nicotine I do not have cravings like I had with cigarettes and can go long periods of time not even thinking about using the e-cig. I could never do that with cigarettes. I still use the e-cig because its enjoyable for recreation and it doesn't bother me because I know it's not hurting me. I also enjoy using it in public so others can see it. They ask me about it a lot and many have switched. I'm not selling these, I just want to see everyone get off the harmful tobacco smoke that's killing them.

If you can't quit any other way, electronic cigarettes could save your life. If your at this point, try them before giving up the idea of quitting.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I have never been a smoker but would like to pass on an observation i have made

Have known many smokers, and drinkers who have for whatever reason wanted to quit

and when they are out on social occassions, and others realise they have quit their

particular 'vice' how they get pressured by those who still have the habit to "go on have

one." "just the one" etc...etc...Just seems they can't bear for anyone to have the strength

to quit

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU QUITTERS just think of ALL the money you will save

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
i will quit after i finish my pouch of tobacco

Theres a small amount left , maybe 10 roll up worths.... i will finish that , then with my willpower and all of your support i will break the habit for good. 100% with you guys and gals.
Cold turkey for me also..... a new high stress job made me start up 6 months ago.... time to kick the nasty smelly habit

thanks for starting this great thread
Its not the money im quiting because of... 4 uk pounds for 12.5g of (american spirit) natural organic additive free tobacco every 1 - 2 weeks is not a lot of money..... its more that im looking forward to reaping the results and major health benefits

......See you in the non smoking zone

edit on 19-10-2012 by the2010apprentice because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You are making a good choice! me and my girlfriend quit smoking 3 years ago and we couldn't be happier. we feel great and you wouldn't believe the amount of money we save. I wish you luck and when you feel a nic fit coming on just ignore it, it wont last long.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Another little pointer for those of you that are not willing to quit right now with the rest of us....
I had been smoking 20 a day superkings.... but when i am on the additive free organic american spirit tobacco i cut right down to only around 5 - 10 max per day. then 5 per day.... now only a few a day.
i think its easier to full speed your way through a pack of cigarettes with all the various added chemical , flavourings and other un-natural additives like salt peter etc.... you get addicted to all that stuff too and the cigarettes burn very very fast.
tobacco with slow burning papers and carbon filters rolled thinly and tightly will make you work for your smoke and also deliver a much more slowed down smoke. A horrible rolling tobacco brand may also help as you wil associate the smoking with a bad and horrible taste ... unlike your preffered smoking brand which you enjoy.
in my opinion it definetly helps kick the habit.....
Go from cigarettes to american spirit.... or some horrible rolling tobacco brand... but prefferably organic and additive free , and it should get you one step closer to fully quitting , and kicking the disgusting habit.
hope this helps

edit on 19-10-2012 by the2010apprentice because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   
@Excommando

Good for you mate! I'm in the process of quitting this poison aswell, my advice to you is to go find/borrow/steal "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr (you can find it really easy on the webz, just look for a pdf file *cough*)

Also remember that you're not 'giving up' anything at all! There are only gains to be made by being a non-smoker....

HAVE FUN!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join