It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Greetings ATS community, first time poster.

I have read as much of this thread as I could, so forgive me if it has been mentioned before, but I didn't see it mentioned, before I skipped past a lot of tangents.

But assuming that there is in fact a rover on mars, (forgive me but the hoax suggestion doesn't fly with me) could it not have found a piece of debris from another man made object that is already on mars, like something torn off the pheonix lander and blown across the martian surface.

We have sent a lot of stuff to the Red Planet. Maybe this is just evidence of man's ability to pollute over great distances. Mars has a lot of wind. There are a lot of man made items on Mars now. Maybe it wasn't a piece that fell off the rover but the rover simply found a piece from another rover, or lander, or even orbital equipment that fell from orbit. I am of the opinion that the rover curiosity likely isn't falling apart, and the engineers at NASA took pride and diligence in their work. The fact that their landing went off without a hitch is evidence of that.

Whose to say it simply isn't old debris blown around from another site?
Plastic wrappers end up in the strangest places.
This would also explain why NASA has had difficulty in properly identifying the object it found. Hard to remember what tape you used on a lander sent in '76 I would imagine.
Not to say I don't hope for something native to Mars. I just feel that pointing a finger to bits falling off of Curiosity seems to discredit the hard work the engineers put into it. And blast me all you want for believing that we actually sent it, and that it is indeed a great accomplishment for man. Curiosity shows how far we've come in remote operation of scientific equipment. Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

enhanced the image. definately a hole on the bottom end, and a tear just above the hole on the righthand side. without color, it looks like it could be plastic that has been stretched, such as a electricalwire sheathing with 2 white bands on it, shaped into a conical open nose shape.

of course it could be the exoskelton of a life form as well. such as the casing a butterfly sheds as it is born, or that a prawn sheds.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
oh, so i see i cant post my enhancement here without uploading to photobucket or something similar... since i dont even have a photobucket account, screw it. too bad ats doesnt make a user friendly interface. ah well. the pic clearly shows something significant. since it could be proof of life beyond earth, one would think nasa would be more interested... except nasa knows its plastic. if it was a lifeform, it would be classified info, the people would never be told. nasa probably emphasized it to debunk mars-theory-peeps, probably because there are abundant life forms all around mars...lol

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Could it be a Mars Bar wrapper?
Or not.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticalParanoia
Thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate to my own actual opinion ...

I wonder sometimes if NASA actually does these things to get more attention. Photograph something a little funny, fail to explain the odd thing, release it to the public ... One thing you have to say about the tether incident is it got people interested. Maybe that's what they want.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

So it would be part of a dis-information scheme?

.... perhaps, ya never know

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I like this! Nasa is saying that the bright object could be apart of the rover.Well im not being funny but if it is apart of the rover then nasa cant of built a really good piece of equipment if its falling to pieces on mars lol. And why would this bright object be mixed in with rock from the surface of mars?surely it would be on top of the rocks and not in with it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
NASA to continue scooping operation with MSL and analyzing bright object. Mastcam to take new panorama view of Gale crater.

Investigation of a small, bright object thought to have come from the rover may resume between the first and second scoop. Over the past two sols, with rover arm activities on hold, the team has assessed the object as likely to be some type of plastic wrapper material, such as a tube used around a wire, possibly having fallen onto the rover from the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft's descent stage during the landing in August. www.spaceref.com...

Hope they have better images of the object soon.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pinke

Thoughts?

Playing devil's advocate to my own actual opinion ...

I wonder sometimes if NASA actually does these things to get more attention. Photograph something a little funny, fail to explain the odd thing, release it to the public ... One thing you have to say about the tether incident is it got people interested. Maybe that's what they want.

Yeah, why can't the Nasa boys and girls have a playful sense of humour? (I've actually entertained this thought before about them). All work and no play makes a monotonous career!

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zayonara
So my long time friends, talking 40+ years, that went to school with me, played in the streets with me, are part of my family, that work at NASA, are lying to me? You mean that rocket that appears to leave the ground and dissapear into the sky, carrying space gear, really is a figment of my imagination or it's really just going to the desert here on Earth? Wow. I have been dupped. It's entirely possible, but...oh the lengths, just to hide the truth for our own, or their own benefit.

Is the sun real?

No the Sun is not real...and neither are we....

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Greetings ATS community, first time poster.

Welcome.

But assuming that there is in fact a rover on mars, (forgive me but the hoax suggestion doesn't fly with me) could it not have found a piece of debris from another man made object that is already on mars, like something torn off the pheonix lander and blown across the martian surface.

I don't think so, for two reasons.

1 - Although Mars has strong winds, it has a thin atmosphere, so the wind does not have that much energy in it as it was a wind of the same velocity on Earth.
2 - The object doesn't have any dust on it, in a place where everything is covered in that extremely fine reddish dust.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Part of the remains of the previous weather ballons,that made it to mars?????/....

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahatche
I don't get why the idea of NASA lying about life on mars is so popular here. If NASA found evidence for life on mars that would be a lot of enthusiasm for their projects, and with that enthusiasm means more money to fund those projects. For the scientists involved it's also their spot in the history books for a moment that changes everything we thought we knew about the universe.

That's a good point and one clearly made. In the times of shrinking budgets, ANY sort of discovery on the scale of an alien life form or even a slight hint of such would be a godsent to scientists, their project, their careers and job security. It's not obvious to people who never worked in science but I have.

If NASA wants to hide the truth of life on mars, they could simply keep the images from the public and we'd never know. There is no need for them to show them, tell us "this is unusual" then try to cover it up. that makes no sense.

Yes, this was stated before in this thread and it's amazing that some people can't use logic.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by fedeykin
I don't understand why they don't just make a nice closeup picture with one of those high def cameras.

This is a photo from one of those cameras, as you can see by the size of the sand particles.

That is the interesting thing to me. I see detail, small things, but unlike the same type of photo I take at home, their is a fuzzy quality so that if you enlarge any object it is unseeable.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Well, here's my opinion.

First NASA lied to us because there were aliens in fleets flocking to earth. They had to 'wash' out images of the sky that we see in google sky, because it proved this.

Evidence #1. Aliens Are Coming.

Then, NASA lied to us because there were structures on the moon. They had to 'photoshop' out images of the surface that show areas where the Greys have things and stuff.

Evidence #2. Aliens Are There.

Not long after this, NASA lied to us because there are cities on Mars. They didn't do a good enough job of pixelating the houses and it looks like a 5 year old must have done it.

Evidence #3. Aliens Are There, and We Can't Work a PC.

And lets add a few random things in here and there, spice up the stew, so to speak. Like, the tether incident, the orbs that appear in uniform patterns, add some "What if E.T. was based on a realz??" and then we leave it a few months. Apart from Zorgon.

Now, NASA lies to us because there is indeed life on Mars. It's that small we need to see a drawing of it to actually see it, and not only that, but out of a gazillion places to land, the curiosity lands right smack bang not on a dead seafloor of decaying fishies, but where there is a single lone dead fishy, that has awaited millions of years for a curiosity rover to appear and rumble his pad.

Evidence #4. It's Life jim, but somehow strange fish on mars that have been dead quite a long time deserves the entire conspiracy of an entire government(s) colluding to hide this small fish, for fear it will cause panic and throw the entire human population into utter chaos, the likes we've never seen in all of history.

Someone might even blog about it.

edit on 9-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2012 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

Thank you Winofiend. You have reminded us all the true reason we are here, CONSPIRACY and we should all wear our tin foil hats proudly because todays conspiracy theory proves to be tomorrows truth.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
I just want to point out that they aren't "hiding things" from us. If they were wanting to hide things, we wouldn't have any pictures to start with. It's not like they were "leaked", they were straight out presented and are presented all the time. They freely give all the images that people repost and say "look what they're hiding". They're being extremely open about what they get (extremely compared to what we think of as government disclosure, perhaps not as open as the lunch counter at the local diner).

NASA's not some uber secretive agency that's trying to keep us from knowing they're on Mars, they televised it, they wanted the story out there and they're sharing the photos they get. ... otherwise, we wouldn't even know there was a picture that could be looked at and discussed the way we're doing right now.

....ok, so, what are some other possibilities for what the thing is?

It does look kind of like a plastic shaving to me, could have come off the rover pretty easily.
It could also be some strange, tiny little life form of some sort and that would be extremely cool.
It may just be some strangely shaped metal shard of some sort that we're not familiar with.
There are tons of things it "could" be, so lets get everybody's input, wait for NASA to investigate all of them and find out what the thing is.

I think they should keep digging instead of stopping. If one is there, there are probably more there. If it was part of the rover, some sort of "debris", maybe something more discernable will "come off" or maybe we'll be able to rule it out.

Why do we have photos here on ATS where member has found that the picture is clearly make up of rocks that are repeated in different areas of the photos. Clearly we are often given faked stuff from Nasa the proof is overwhelming!
Also how do you KNOW it was not released by someone who wants to let the public in and is being now handled by someone else?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Curiosity takes a panorama of mars after looking at the bright object and scooping operations.

twitpic.com...

awesome image. Enlarge for full effect.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join