It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
I respectfully disagree. If I were a scientist working on this mission, I would find out exactly what happened and where the part fell from, for many reasons. Not one scientist working on this mission would consider your imagination of how they would treat this.

I can't even believe you're being serious. "If it continues they will look into it"? Really?

The rover engineers DO have ideas of what the piece may be, based on the looks of the material, but give the fact that the object so so small (barely 2 cm long), it would be hard to find out EXACTLY where it came from, even if it IS a broken piece of the rover (rather than -- as I said above -- a foreign piece of debris left over from building the rover, or a piece of the sky crane).

Say, for example, that it is a piece of plastic sheathing that goes around a cable bundle. Considering the piece is so tiny, there could be dozens of places that could have come from -- and some of those places may not even be visible using the cameras.

I'm sure there is a team of engineers right now tasked with trying to determine out what the object was. That doesn't mean they will ever know for sure what it is, but they can make educated guesses.

edit on 10/12/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

And what if there is a molted skin from a life form looking the same color or texture as some of the Curiosities insulation...should they not test it anyway to rule it out.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer
But hey, at least I didn't go yelling that NASA were lying when they were being perfectly straight about it.

I'm always fascinated by people who go on and on about NASA being evil and hiding things and lying about things while at the same time using images from (who?) NASA to prove their point. They're taking images of another planet. They're the only pipeline. If they didn't want you to see something, you would not see it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I can't even believe you're being serious. "If it continues they will look into it"? Really?

I was replying to this:

If this is a part from the rover, we would already know exactly which part. There would be pictures of the area of the rover where the part broke off from..

Sure, they will look into it, bad wording. But I imagine it's not critical to find the exact spot, and they might not be able to, so they'll move on, that's what I meant.

I didn't expect that it mattered to NASA what I imagine, lol!

edit on 12-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Apparently there are more shiny stuff, made by rover crossing over "rocks" wich are full metalic.
What are those?

Reference image (better quality)
edit on 12-10-2012 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

They are just swamp gas elevated in the soil...nothing to see there

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
Apparently there are more shiny stuff, made by rover crossing over "rocks" wich are full metalic.
What are those?

Interesting. They may be metallic rocks, or scuffed/newly-broken pieces of rock, scuffed/broken by the rover wheels rolling over them.

If it's a metallic rock, I wonder if it could be a buried piece of meteorite.

Having said all that, they look to be more white than they do metallic.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Might be silica which the Spirit rover uncovered dragging a bad wheel and has a whitish color.

Mars Rovers Find "Best Evidence Yet" of Water - silica news.nationalgeographic.com...

And further North some time ago the Phoenix lander scooped up Martian soil and detected perchlorates or salt.

Mars Sprinkled with Salty Mysteries

www.space.com...

With so much dust its hard to tell.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dcmb1409

Other bright white rocks were found by the Rover "Opportunity" last year that are probably gypsum (which forms only in very wet environments):

Article about Opportunity and this vein of gypsum:
science.nasa.gov...

NASA scientist are pretty confident that Gale Crater (Curiosity's landing site) was also once a very wet place, based on orbital analysis of the soils indicating an abundance of clays, which form in watery environments. It is very possible that Curiosity will be coming across other gypsum deposits.

I wonder if the bright stuff in the image posted above by "zilebeliveunknown" could be gypsum -- usually covered by dirt, but scuffed up by the rover wheel.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcmb1409
Might be silica which the Spirit rover uncovered dragging a bad wheel and has a whitish color.

Mars Rovers Find "Best Evidence Yet" of Water - silica news.nationalgeographic.com...

And further North some time ago the Phoenix lander scooped up Martian soil and detected perchlorates or salt.

Mars Sprinkled with Salty Mysteries

www.space.com...

With so much dust its hard to tell.

Could be more ice..Since landing on May 25, Phoenix has been studying soil with a chemistry lab, TEGA, a microscope, a conductivity probe and cameras. Besides confirming the 2002 finding from orbit of water ice near the surface and deciphering the newly observed stickiness, the science team is trying to determine whether the water ice ever thaws enough to be available for biology and if carbon-containing chemicals and other raw materials for life are present. www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer
But hey, at least I didn't go yelling that NASA were lying when they were being perfectly straight about it.

I'm always fascinated by people who go on and on about NASA being evil and hiding things and lying about things while at the same time using images from (who?) NASA to prove their point. They're taking images of another planet. They're the only pipeline. If they didn't want you to see something, you would not see it.

They give you the illusion of transparency because we are paying for it, but nasa is anything but transparent or we would be seeing what they see over a live stream. The technology is there and would probably be easy to implement.

I believe nasa hides stuff just like the gov does. I can see the reasoning behind it but I don't agree with it.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Very nice find.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
OK, I'm going to say it...

These metallic pieces being found are the small remains of the alien spacecraft whose crash into Mars caused the Gale crater.

Well everyone seems to agree that they're not natural, so you're left with, from the Rover, from the Martians or from another ship.

Why isn't a chemical analysis being conducted on this piece of matter? Nasa being chicken in case......

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
When it comes to recognizable life on Mars, I would like to hear from scientists in regards to the timeline of the formation of our solar system. All of our particular family of planets formed around the same time, didn't they? It would be interesting to see if water had remained on Mars surface long enough for biogenics and evolution to have occurred early enough for a fish to have existed.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Or maybe from a certain type of crushed rock. I wish this was in color, its from the RAT tool used on Curiosity recently on a rock and examined up-close.

We may never know.
edit on 13-10-2012 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown
What are those?

I think I see a yeti footprint on this one. The plot just thickened!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrestonSpace
They give you the illusion of transparency because we are paying for it, but nasa is anything but transparent or we would be seeing what they see over a live stream. The technology is there and would probably be easy to implement.

Live stream? Of what, meaningless (to us) ones and zeros?

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3xil3

Originally posted by toocoolnc
Looks like a condom..

LMAO

this would explain why no life found on mars

My first thought but i was afraid to say as i'm new here...

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The object could have been transported to the Rover site by winds that are prevalent on Mars. Many stories of frogs and fish falling from the sky are documented on Earth. If it is biological, it might have been picked up from an area with subterranean water sources close to the planets surface. It reminds me of the blind fish found in caves underground that never see the light of day but still exist.

posted on Oct, 15 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ok, this JUST IN!

Since so many here want to dwell on on cockroaches, condoms, and candy wrappers, etc., as explanations for a tiny speck of whatever that fell loose form the rover, I, well, I give up. I'm now going to join (temporarily) those that insist that NASA is hiding something, anything, just to fool us lowly unwashed masses form discovering the truth.

Here, for your viewing pleasure, then, is the latest secret, high-conspiracy, black-ops photo from the rover. The photo was in a plain manila envelope, found on a subway bench in Chicago. The envelope was addressed to "A.G." (?) Not sure what the acronym means, but it possibly could be "ATS-Gullible". Who knows?

The contents of the envelope was passed to a dependable media operative (CNN) known for their unbiased, truth-or-nothing philosophy.

And now, an exclusive for ATS members, and pre-publication in the MSM, the soon-to-be-earth-shattering photo of the millennium:

Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
looks like a piece of litter!
litterbugs on mars, fine them 500 marbuck$ !

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join