It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Looks like a condom..

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by elrem48
We don't need "Uncle Sam to explain reality" but they sure feel they need to....and more.

That's for sure!

As they say, in war the first thing that goes out is the truth.. And the military is made for war. You connect the dots

However, NASA is not made for military purposes, and I'm sure other agencies handle any 'delicate matter'. And they are in a lot of close contact with civilian scientists around the world, they are not secretive and closed like a black ops agency.
They are cautious scientists, they get in big trouble if they make hasty scientific conclusions on anything. We saw that when there were 'fossils' found in Mars meterorites. It turns out the NASA-related scientists in question could not defend their claim which had been broadcast around the world in a flash.

PS. sorry for the confusion, I split my first post, you are fast

edit on 10-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: typo

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

There is some remarkable symmetry in this object. It does look organic, but we see what we are used to. It looks more like a fish than anything else. Very strange and you can bet that this will become a HUGE issue that will be debated for a long time.

We moved into a new country not long ago, and I am finding those silverish, VERY "organic" looking things on the sun roof. At first I thought its dead scorpions. It looked like it had a tail, feet etc.

Turns out it's pieces of plastic from exploded fireworks. People here are nuts and shoot self-made fireworks any occasion they can, then they explode and all the pieces fall down on the house, sun roof etc. (I wouldn't write this if those pieces would not really occasionally look like dead bugs or scorpions). And this was also the first thing i thought when i saw the enlarged images of that object - just to proof that pieces of plastic can really look that way.
edit on 10-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by toocoolnc
Looks like a condom..

Haha, nice one!

Now we know the REAL reason the Rover could contaminate Mars, they couldn't keep it in the pants when the Rover was finished and standing proud

Edit: Oh, wait, 'it' would have to be really small, the pic is blown up.

edit on 10-10-2012 by ScientificUAPer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ScientificUAPer

However, NASA is not made for military purposes, and I'm sure other agencies handle any "delicate matter."

Yet they are "government run, " as they are a U.S. government agency....therefore I filled in the blanks.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The timeline here is important.
Was the object discovered after the pictures were shown on the raw images website?
or...
Was the object discovered by NASA and then they released a statement with the picture?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

However, NASA is not made for military purposes, and I'm sure other agencies handle any "delicate matter."

Yet they are "government run, " as they are a U.S. government agency....therefore I filled in the blanks.

Well, you found the weak spot in my argument, and I battled with that exactly. So I take all the blame for the confusion if you don't pursue it any further, lol

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The round opening/protrusion on one end looks like a potential giveaway as to if it is genuinely a rover part or something all together.

We'll know tomorrow hopefully www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm pretty anxious.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enlightenme1111
The timeline here is important.
Was the object discovered after the pictures were shown on the raw images website?
or...
Was the object discovered by NASA and then they released a statement with the picture?

Good thinking!

I'm just not sure what it matters in this case, are we suspecting any wrongdoing by NASA? I mean, do you think they edited out the animal attached to the nail?
Then why not just remove it completely?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I just want to point out that they aren't "hiding things" from us. If they were wanting to hide things, we wouldn't have any pictures to start with.

Well where are some macro images? I was hoping to see some macros of the 'river bed' pebbles too, as it would be interesting to see if the types of rock the pebbles are made from could be identified. Maybe there is a reason they are not using the macro camera?
Camera on Curiosity's arm will magnify clues in rocks
spacespin.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Whatever it is, it's transparent as you can see part of one of them round nodule things on the ground is slightly showing through it. It could be a transparent piece of plastic that broke off somewhere or it could be a dead winged bug. It's shape looks almost identical to a may bug. The part that looks like a wing even has markings half way down it like black stripes or black and white stripes. Well bugs and moths have something like that as a form of defense to look like eyes to ward off predators. Or maybe someone got carried away with eating the Halloween candy and thrown a candy wrapper on the ground before they filmed. LOL jk.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The more pictures I see from Curiosity, the more I think they are taken on Earth.

Sorry, no proof, no evidence, just doesn't look right to me.

Of course, I don't know what Mars surface looks like, but I'm entitled to an opinion, even if it is idiotic in the view of many

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScientificUAPer

Well, you found the weak spot in my argument, and I battled with that exactly. So I take all the blame for the confusion if you don't pursue it any further, lol

That's okay, it happens to me more than I wish to acknowledge....no worry, I'm not too much of a pursuer unless you really "ruffle my feathers." Even so, that takes alot of brainpower which I'm short on lately!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It doesn't make any sense that NASA would spot an object they were unsure about in it's origin, and then decide to release a statement with the object in a picture, and claim they didn't know exactly what it was. Logic here would dictate that NASA have a better understanding of the object before releasing a statement about it. They are scientists after all.

The story only makes sense if the object was spotted by someone in the public after the picture was released, forcing them to release the story and discuss it. Does anybody know for certain that the first picture of this object was released with the story?

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Enlightenme1111

NASA made mention of the object because they were concerned that if this was a part that fell off of the rover, then there was the potential that the rover may have mechanical issues.

NASA totally stopped what they were doing with the scoop in order to proceed cautiously in case the rover was damaged. Continuing with the scooping and shaking process without first knowing what this piece is (or isn't) could potentially cause damage.

If NASA just stopped with the scooping and shaking, WITHOUT providing a reason why they stopped, that would in itself cause people to wonder why they stopped...

...so while you feel that them TELLING us about the object is somewhat suspicious, there would be other people feeling suspicious if they DIDN'T tell us about the object, and just stopped the scooping operation without any explanation.

It's a case of Damned if they do and damned if they don't"

edit on 10/10/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Enlightenme1111

The pictures are released to the public pretty much every day, except of course the 2nd week where there are no images whatsoever in the public domain.

Chances are they have only decided to address the problem because people spotted it. Had no one come out and said, "hey whats this weird thing" they would have probably never have mentioned it. Thats my opinion.

They dont know what it is, so have jumped to assumptions to appease the public...to stop you thinking.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Today's explanation.

October 10, 2012 The team operating Curiosity decided on Oct. 9, 2012, to proceed with using the rover's first scoop of Martian material. Plans for Sol 64 (Oct. 10) call for shifting the scoopful of sand and dust into the mechanism for sieving and portioning samples, and vibrating it vigorously to clean internal surfaces of the mechanism. This first scooped sample, and the second one, will be discarded after use, since they are only being used for the cleaning process. Subsequent samples scooped from the same "Rocknest" area will be delivered to analytical instruments. Investigation of a small, bright object thought to have come from the rover may resume between the first and second scoop. Over the past two sols, with rover arm activities on hold, the team has assessed the object as likely to be some type of plastic wrapper material, such as a tube used around a wire, possibly having fallen onto the rover from the Mars Science Laboratory spacecraft's descent stage during the landing in August. Sol 63 activities included extended weather measurements by the Rover Environmental Monitoring Station, or REMS. The Sol 63 planning also called for panoramic imaging by the Mast Camera, or Mastcam, in the early morning light of Sol 64, before uplink of Sol 64 commands. www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Anyone notice the scoop has what appears to be a chipped edge.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's from Weyland Industries. It's David 9

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dcmb1409

Anyone notice the scoop has what appears to be a chipped edge.

No.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Nice Marmot....Nihilist

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join