It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity rover detects bright object on surface of Mars...

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordpiney
Oh really? huh? i guess these aint fossils then?

I guess you didn't notice the "uniform" part. Yes, many rocks are translucent, I even said that in a previous post, and I have at least one translucent fossil, but they never have that uniform translucency like the object has.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by toocoolnc
Looks like a condom..

LMAO

this would explain why no life found on mars

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by crawdad1914

They did. I downloaded a pic and put it here. The "anomaly" is a tiny little speck in the bottom middle of the pic...hard to see.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah
I think they are referring to this video of the Rover taking the first scoop:
www.nasa.gov...

I thought they were talking about the video in the opening post.

I wasn't aware of the existence of that video you posted, thanks for that.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by GaryN
Well where are some macro images? I was hoping to see some macros of the 'river bed' pebbles too, as it would be interesting to see if the types of rock the pebbles are made from could be identified. Maybe there is a reason they are not using the macro camera?

I think that camera is on the arm that also has the scoop, so they cannot point the camera to the object without emptying the scoop, I think that's why they say that they may investigate the object between the first and second scooping.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by akushla99

Originally posted by AmberLeaf
reply to post by Extralien

I think thats a good idea. It does resemble a tooth.

It resembles a prawn!

A99

Sorry, I haven't been on in a while but had to login for this.. I was going to say it's a Skag's tooth (if you've played Borderlands you'd know this reference, lol..) But it does resemble a prawn.. First thing that popped in my head actually.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Actually, I think it's a cable tie, and some cellophane. Disappointed...
edit on 10-10-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

neat.
i'd like to know during my lifetime if at least there WAS life on mars on one point

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy
reply to post by charlyv

the thing is it doesn't need to be debated if they scoop it back up and analyze it, right? so why wouldn't that be next? if they ignore it then there should be some suspicion

Unbelievable people! Did you ever stop and think that just maybe NASA wants to figure it out before they continue digging? Just maybe they don't want to cause more damage in case it is a piece that broke off the rover. Usually when a piece of equipment breaks one fixes it before continuing. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Whether this is an alien artifact, a fossil, naturaly formed glass, a prawns condom or whatever NASA will still tell us its a piece of the rover ( which in any case it may well be ) so this speculation will always be just that, speculation. Unfortunatly NASA kinda has a monopoly on cameras on Mars currently so it will be whatever they choose it to be!

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zigguratvertigo

Actually, I think it's a cable tie, and some cellophane. Disappointed...
edit on 10-10-2012 by zigguratvertigo because: (no reason given)

The entire object very small -- no more than 2 cm long, so it would be a verrrry tiny cable tie (a few mm long?).

I'm not saying it isn't part of the rover, I just don't think it is a cable tie.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
Surely this anomaly seem out of place with the surrounding terrain.
Mole of Mars?
S&F.

NASA say the object might be a part of the six-wheeled rover

NASA, NASA, NASA.....

edit on 9-10-2012 by Arken because: (no reason given)

haha NASA are a funny lot.

excuses excuses

Is it me or are you lot to ignorant to see the bit where NASA said it MIGHT BE from the rover?

MIGHT BE meaning they don't know and are taking a wild guess.

Anyway, that looks like a bug to me. Would be class if NASA came out and said "After alot of research and studying, we can officially announce that we are indeed, not alone and there is/was life on Mars."

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This fact just hit me! Everything else is covered with dust, except for this thing.

I bet it's just a piece of wire wrap that ripped off a harness, and fell to the ice cold Martian floor.
edit on 10-10-2012 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Been following along - some interesting, well-thought-out posts (and some, not so much...)

One thing that keeps missing in some "guesses" is ignoring SCALE. This object is exceedingly tiny. The granular material surrounding the object are not "rocks", they are little specs of sand. Can somebody crop the hi-res color photo of the object laying on the ground and place an accurate scale next to it? A few pages back I think I read "2 cm", but that would make it about 0.78 inches long - even that appears too big, I think.

Do we have an accurate estimate of the dimensions? Of course, even a 2 cm condom is just plain silly, but a side-by-side comparison with a large-human-sized one is a lie (if not altogether humorous) if the scales do not coincide. Even the photo of the cicada as an idea is ridiculous. We must compare at the right corresponding scale! (unless the point is to be funny or silly rather than find the truth - in which case - ha-ha - chuckle, chuckle... let's get to work...

In the meantime, my vote is on a small bit of insulating or securing material (piece of tape, etc) that indeed came loose from the rover. It was a relatively smooth landing, but not 'feather-light' - and the rover is crammed with equipment, wires, fasteners and such.

Sure, they assemble these wonderful machines in immaculate clean rooms, but I think it quite reasonable to assume that it is possible that at least a tiny piece of tape or insulation may come loose on the blast-off, long journey, descent, landing, and deployment on the Martian surface. The fact that this tiny, barely-visible fleck of flotsam is resting in the immediate vicinity of the rover itself adds some additional credibility to this theory.

Shrimp, bug wings, teeth, condoms? Sheesh - what glorious imaginations we have! Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE IT if we actually found a cockroach molting, tiny alien face or whatever. But Occam's razor, sadly, suggests otherwise.

KISS: be realistic. What is the most plausible, logical, reasonable explanations of all those proposed? It is the one NASA themselves tossed into the ring: a very tiny piece of material from the rover itself...

p.s. No, I do NOT believe NASA always tells us the truth and I do NOT believe NASA tells the public even a fraction of what they discover. This time, however, especially considering how "public" they made the announcement: A speck of rover junk is laying on the ground. Period.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interesting...not enough there to come to anything conclusive, though. NASA can do a spectrometer reading to see what that thing is made of. I think its pretty safe to assume they have one on Mars right now, if they are taking rock samples.

And although it kind of looks organic....any claims or theories here on ATS are just that....theories.....nothing more.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Kr0nZ

Chance, coincidence....luck, happens to all of us at some point.
They landed the rover where it is for a reason, they didnt pick a random landing point. So you could say, they knew this was the best place to look, and by chance, they found something

Go outside, dig a hole, and find gold.
That is basically how "lucky" they would have to be.

The idea that people think this is going to be indicative of life on Mars after one scrape in the dirt is more telling of the idiocy here than anything else, imo.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

I'm the one who said it looked to be no more than 2 cm long, and I based that on this Mast Cam image showing the object visible on the ground in front of the rover (slightly to the right of the bottom center of the image):

edit on 10/10/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join