It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does an Atheist becomes a Christian.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Minnie1985

The best lie Satan ever told was that he didn't exist

That was the second best lie. The best lie was that you can be equal with or your own God, that's how he murdered everyone of us from the beginning to the end. Thats why we needed a Savior to resurrect our spirits.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by stupid girl

Belief in God denotes accountability, therefore, especially nowadays, mankind avoids that reckoning altogether.

I heard this for decades from the church. It's old, and it's tired. Humans just aren't capable of personal responsibility and accountability of their own volition, apart from God. Poppycock!

We heathens are only unaccountable and reprobate to the extent that we don't define accountability by biblical precepts.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamLaw

How does one who absolutely does not believe in God can become a believer in order to appease his mind about death and the afterlife?

I honestly don't believe they can. Not a true Atheist.

I'm not talking about those people who reject god - - have a bad attitude - - angry at the church - - have some kind of paranormal experience and attribute it to god - - etc.

An Atheist lacks belief in god - - because there is nothing tangible. Nothing that can be proven.

A faith based or awakening experience doesn't change that.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Belief in God denotes accountability, therefore, especially nowadays, mankind avoids that reckoning altogether.

I heard this for decades from the church. It's old, and it's tired.

So you're bitter about the unsavory and lackluster church experience of your youth. We get it. You've joined the millions of other disillusioned, resentful individuals who have turned their personal circumstances into a vendetta against an entire institution of collective faith.
This argument falls under the "old and tired" umbrella, as well.

Humans just aren't capable of personal responsibility and accountability of their own volition, apart from God. Poppycock!

That is true. Humans are perfectly capable of accountability of their own volition apart from God. There are many types of accountability, many of which have nothing to do with a belief in God.
Most individuals of this day and age avoid any sort of accountability to their actions and decisions like the plague for a plethora of reasons. Our society is an ever-increasing "do what thou wilt" caliber of mentality.

Mankind has reached a point intellectually wherein he has vainly convinced himself that he is God, thus has no need for accountability to a higher authority. This makes it convenient to negate the idea of God altogether.

Poppycock? Seriously? Who even uses that word?

We heathens are only unaccountable and reprobate to the extent that we don't define accountability by biblical precepts.

Alrighty then.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

So you're bitter about the unsavory and lackluster church experience of your youth. We get it. You've joined the millions of other disillusioned, resentful individuals who have turned their personal circumstances into a vendetta against an entire institution of collective faith.

Actually - - my result of a 60 year God quest resulted in Atheism.

No disillusionment - no resentfulness. Just lack of credible and/or factual information.

Stepping completely out of the "god circle" - - I felt a weight lifted off me - - and an 'enlightenment' as a human within myself and responsible for myself and other humans.

No force outside my body being responsible for me and my decisions.

Ethical/Moral behavior as a human - - as part of the human race.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Start with consciousness. No scientist can explain it or weigh it. It has no mass. And yet it is the epitome of what it means to be alive and it makes us who we are and able to do what we do. It brings meaning and suggests something greater.

Then ask yourself: Am I--are we--the epitome of consciousness? Or an image of a greater one?

Hey...it's a start.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

So you're bitter about the unsavory and lackluster church experience of your youth.

What Annee said. All of it.

Poppycock? Seriously? Who even uses that word?

I do, to stay within the T&C's.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Start with consciousness. No scientist can explain it or weigh it. It has no mass. And yet it is the epitome of what it means to be alive and it makes us who we are and able to do what we do. It brings meaning and suggests something greater.

Absolutely right.

Very, very well put.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
i can tell you, many people come closer to God or go away because of bad events that happen to them, you obviously are the former.
That event is in fact considered a wake up call from God.
So ya, as many have suggested to you here, seek guidance from that Higher Power.
Maybe you can also ponder over your existence and think why you are, who you are, what purpose?
And lastly think about death, what if death is not an end but death is a sure thing as you have painfully experienced and i am sorry for that loss.
Wish you the best.
edit on 5-10-2012 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

This.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I do not believe in God, yet I find the scriptures very comforting. I could cope better with the death of loved ones and my own death if I could force myself somehow to believe in God and become a Christian.

Why have you jumped from wanting to believe in a supreme being, a creator, a father god or a spiritual guide/friend to a specific theology?

Why Christian? Are you looking for a savior? Why? From what?

Would it make you feel better to think that you or your loved ones may be destined to hell?

How does one who absolutely does not believe in God can become a believer in order to appease his mind about death and the afterlife?

Buddhism.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Re: Death

No need to become a christian, jew, muslim, buddist or any other of the fantasy beliefs that man has created to abjure the fear of discontinuance.

To believe is to have faith without substance so merely believe that when loved ones pass they are in a favored place doing their favorite activities & that can give you comfort.

For yourself gather the will to know & understand that if there is an afterlife you will have to deal with that reality whatever it is just like you have had to deal with this life as you know it.
Now if on the other hand there is no afterlife, guess what, you wont know that because you'll be dead with no knowledge that you are no more.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
If you go from atheism to Christianity you are simply going from right to wrong.

Can't you comfort yourself by the thought your loved ones lived full and happy lives. Why lie to yourself in order to feel better. Don't join the religious nuts here, religion is a dying myth just let it go.

Religion is all about the fear of death. Atheism should teach you to embrace life instead as it is a fact that this is the only life you will ever have.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I do not believe in God, yet I find the scriptures very comforting. I could cope better with the death of loved ones and my own death if I could force myself somehow to believe in God and become a Christian.

I wish I believed in God. I like the idea of it all.

edit on 5-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

You took the first step really. If you find yourself serious then go to a Church... a small one I find those are more.. well less corrupted. Church Shop until you fill yourself fit. Keep reading and just keep thinking about it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RebelPanda

Church shop! What does that mean? Wait until you find a church the tells the kind of lies you want to believe?
edit on 6-10-2012 by GafferUK1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Dear Op,After reading your post...Might I make a suggestion,Put down the bible and come back to the "dark side"...The bible is a book of filth in my view it tells us child sacerfice is ok and to love some one we are ordered to fear the essance of sado massicaism ,I could point out bad parts off all bibles all day.Yet this is my suggestion to a fellow non beliver when facing mortality,There are far better books Henery Millers black spring is excelent,I chose to read Christopher Hitchens.There are billions of other books for comfort far better then the bible or any holy book for that matter.I wish you the best and truly hope you find comfort in what ever you chose to read,Just never give up life is to short...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
You dont, its beyond what you are capable of, God chooses us

Ephesians 1

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ. 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he[d] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
11 In him we were also chosen,[e] having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

So the bible states, not me.
Maybe ask God to choose you?

www.biblegateway.com...
edit on 6-10-2012 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't think a true atheist could ever become a Christian, unless they had an undeniable direct, recorded encounter with a supreme deity.

Christianity is a faith. Faith is not the same as belief. Faith is like belief, with the absence of evidence. It is ultimately predicated on the unquestionable and the unprovable. Belief requires a framework of evidence and logic, and can only extend as far as that framework goes.

Atheism (at least in my case) is the belief, based on all available evidence and the process of deductive reasoning, that there is no God. Until evidence to the contrary turns up, my verdict remains that there is no supreme being.

As I see it, and without knowing a whole lot about it, there is far more evidence to support the ancient alien genetic intervention theory, than a faith in God. If I had to bet the farm on whether god or some aliens are going to show up first, then my money is on the little green men.

If a self professed atheist ever becomes a Christian or any other religion, I would have to argue that they were never really an atheist in the first place. Rather they were just keeping their wallet in their pocket while they were window shopping for a brand of delusion they felt suited them best.

edit on 6-10-2012 by blah yada because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There must be a lot of comfort in religion,believeing we live on after death along with our loved ones who've gone already.

Also with a a creator figure who is supreme whatever makes no sense,beyond our understanding isnt a problem as its part of gods plan.The certainty must be nice,likewise handing your responsibilitys upstairs.

For me following what i just don't believe in would be a lie,totally false.

Am an agnostic and know I havent the answers so maybe the big man is there but I've never felt that for a second.

I echo many others who suggest you should try to get a handle on spiritual matters,belief in somethhng greater than what you see around you.

Sorry but cant tell you how to believe in something yov dont believe but maybe if you tell yourself its true often enough you will start to believe it.

Anyway,i wish you well and hope you find what youre looking for.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
There must be a lot of comfort in religion,believeing we live on after death along with our loved ones who've gone already.

Also with a a creator figure who is supreme whatever makes no sense,beyond our understanding isnt a problem as its part of gods plan.The certainty must be nice,likewise handing your responsibilitys upstairs.

For me following what i just don't believe in would be a lie,totally false.

Am an agnostic and know I havent the answers so maybe the big man is there but I've never felt that for a second.

I echo many others who suggest you should try to get a handle on spiritual matters,belief in somethhng greater than what you see around you.

Sorry but cant tell you how to believe in something yov dont believe but maybe if you tell yourself its true often enough you will start to believe it.

Anyway,i wish you well and hope you find what youre looking for.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join