It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does an Atheist becomes a Christian.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I've skimmed through the thread, and don't believe anyone has given you a straight, simple answer to your question. There were some good answers of course, but as usual it is preferable to simply turn to God's Word for an answer.

How then do you go about believing when you don't, in other words, where does faith come from and how do you get it?

King James Bible
"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Quite simply. Read your Bible, study the scriptures, go to www.sermonindex.com and listen to some sermons. (I'll suggest David Wilkerson if you don't know where to start, but that's just a suggestion.)

It will happen by itself, because God's Word is life, and has power:

King James Bible
"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."

I'll explain it in a more practical and pragmatic way if you like. You see, faith is experiential, not an intellectual position like atheism (which is a dishonest, untenable position by the way, so maybe you mean agnostic). When you start to know enough about God's ways, words and promises and are able to see their application in your daily life, then you will find, amazingly, that God starts to come through for you. You will find against all odds that the Words of the bible are true. This experience will give you the faith you seek, which will then grow as you seek to obey the Words of the God who created you. His love and compassion for you will become real, and you will find yourself relationship with none other than the creator of the world....

Then you will understand why it is not just another belief, but a spiritual reality which you will be able to see with spiritual eyes, yet on the basis of real experiences.

Spend time with others who have been through the process, as the testimonies of their own experiences will encourage you and further build your faith.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdamLaw
I do not believe in God, yet I find the scriptures very comforting. I could cope better with the death of loved ones and my own death if I could force myself somehow to believe in God and become a Christian.

I wish I believed in God. I like the idea of it all.

How does one who absolutely does not believe in God can become a believer in order to appease his mind about death and the afterlife?
edit on 5-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-10-2012 by AdamLaw because: (no reason given)

Read Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World". He talks about this very phenomenon about how he himself wished that his parents went to a "happy place" after they died and this gave him comfort...yet how he is also able to separate fantasy from reality and didn't proceed to take his primitive longings w/ him to the polls, or decide that it was his "moral duty" to try and get EVERYONE to believe in unicorns too.

Imagination and fantasy plays an important role in the human psyche...you just be able to separate reality and make-believe.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

I'm not trying to be a **** but do you actually know what God is? Because you cant say you don't believe in something when you don't actually know what it is.

The bible isn't great for when you are seeking the truth, but the truth is in there if you have a discerning mind, I find that the Hindu scriptures explain it in a more straight forward way.

Know this though, there is only one god, there is only different religions because different people have expressed their experience of the same divinity in different ways appealing to different cultures, but they all describe the same thing and all the holy texts around the world are good for learning.

However, and I'm sure you will hear this a lot; the fact that you WANT to believe and are searching for the faith shows that God has already chosen you out as one of his flock, you shouldn't worry about doing anything just now because to believe in God you have to go the full journey, just read the scriptures regularly and then there will be events in your life and you will go 'oh that's what the bible meant when it said this or that' and slowly the truth will unravel before you.

I used to be a satanist, and The Lord picked me out and led me from being a morally upright selfless child through a dark decade of self destruction and hate and back again to the mindset i started in, but the difference is that now i know what a precious gift I have but as a child I didn't know it. I now realize that the whole journey i went on to the depths of 21st century depravity were all caused by the Lord to teach me a specific set of lessons so that I didn't just read the bible and believe the words blindly but knew exactly WHY things are the way they are, so that now, I CHOOSE to belong to the lord because I know exactly why it is the best way, Instead of just believing the false prophet (the church, particularly the catholic church in my opinion) So don't worry my friend, give it five years and you'll look back on your life now and it will all make perfect sense.

In fact The lord probably wanted you to be an atheist for a certain while, i couldnt know why because I dont know you, But I have Faith in My Holy Father/Mother

And faith in you young seeker XD

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamLaw

the scriptures say "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8. without bombarding you with scripture and just leveling with you, the Lord knows your heart, and if you feel Him knocking, then pray to Him, pray whats on your heart and to give you understanding in all ways, and He will. yes i know that sounds vague and can seem empty but its true. the Lord is all about changing a persons heart, and that doesnt happen over night, it can take alot of time, but its a growing process and a journey well worth it. to be honest, steer cleer of most "christians" because they make it all about works, all about emotions and feelings, and its not, its about your heart, that is what He seeks. ill pray for you friend!
edit on 7-10-2012 by honested3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
like anything else in life, you join, a congression? i think its called, to become full blown you would have to talk to a priest, and get baptised ccd courses ect ect lol, I dont think you have to join to enjoy and gain insite from any work christian or not, i dont believe in any of these fantasies, but some religions have some nice "stories"/lessons in them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You could start by studying everything you know. Understand that Atheists too are acting on faith. Everything science preaches about evolution is nothing more than theory and faith. Moving on from that, understand the miracle that is life. How amazing everything about us really is from how birds can navigate to the complexity that is the human body. Look at paranormal studies and the overwhelming evidence that things are happening beyond our understanding that according to our science shouldn't be happening in the first place, and I ain't talking about silly "orbs" aka dust and bugs. That despite how much Stephen Hawking tries to explain away God with his theories, he will never be able to explain how the universe just magically came into existence out of thin space without using 100% faith that he's right.

See, the biggest problem for atheists is that because God isn't down here chilling with us everyday then he must just be a good story to make people feel better about death. "Seeing is believing!" Well yeah I can understand that viewpoint but it's amazing how a person can preach that yet are unable to look upon everything they know and still choose to believe that it was all chance and was created out of nothing. You ask how can I believe in God? And I answer, open your eyes, stop viewing everything as normal and nothing special, and accept the miracles you witness everyday and night from Earthly creations to the vastness of space and the stars that occupy it.

Once you face the music that there can only be one answer to the biggest question of all: Is there a God? Then you can focus on studying the beliefs of God and basically it really just comes down to whatever you like most. I have a strong belief in Christianity being the correct faith to have. But for some people it's just not good enough. They want to hold onto Earthly ideals. It's hard to follow in Christ's footsteps. That's all fine and dandy for anyone who chooses another faith but I believe what matters most is that you believe because if you go through life without letting God be a part of it then you'll certainly spend eternity without him, too.

Atheists will look at me and think it's retarded to believe in something I have never seen. But to me it's retarded to believe that everything we know just poofed into existence. Hey, if you really want to put your faith on the big bang singularity theory and go with "We don't know!" whenever you're asked where the singularity came from, have at it. As far as I care "we don't know" is a translation of "yeah ok there is a creator but we still choose to believe said creator isn't actively involved in our lives and has moved on" which is a common viewpoint btw by former atheists who finally accepted that there was a creator but because they aren't here chilling with us they must have moved on and left us behind. Or whatever wild theory they come up with.

If you want to go with Christianity, the most important message of Christianity is forgiveness. To let go of hate. If you cannot forgive those that have hurt you, how do you expect God to forgive you for your sins? To forgive is to be forgiven. If you achieve what you seek, always remember this in your quests of following Christ in his footsteps. Love is the path to salvation, not hate.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Why commit yourself to one religion at all.

If the scriptures bring you comfort then great - but as soon as you commit to one religion, the you will be narrowing down the number of books that can bring you comfort - including many mythological books. Homer's Iliad is one of the most inspiring books I ever read - especially in verse form.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
An even better question: How does a Christian become an atheist? Answer: By thoroughly studying the bible

Then explain why people who were not christian to begin with end up becomming christians. I wasn't a christian until about 2 years ago. Before 2 years ago i wouldn't even read the bible at all, and i even persecuted christians. Tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor, now i'm on the otherside of the fence getting persecuted and thats how he does it sometimes.Thats what he did to Apostle Paul too. It's no joke he will make you pay out the nose for persecuting him, because everything you do to them you do to him and then one day comes and you're a christian reaping what you have sown.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
To the opening poster:

You read his record and you feel something...that's all it takes. The Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) is our direction...read it and see if you can hear him speaking to that little part of your soul that is open to faith.

With time you can see him in all things from the smallest blade of grass to the inherent goodness of all people. Just nurture that whisper within yourself and you will find all things possible and the reality of his love and creation.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Here's how one atheist become a Christian.

In this 38 min vid, Dr. Richard Lumsden, PH.D, microbiology (Tulane, Harvard), explains an epiphany he experienced. Dr. Lumsden describes himself as a "doctronaire evolutionist and functional atheist".

If the vid doesn't play, use this link: www.youtube.com...
or, search on YouTube "PH.D. turns from atheism to Christ".

edit on 7-10-2012 by Cataclysm because: vid doesn't appear.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cataclysm
Dr. Richard Lumsden, explains an epiphany he experienced.

I've had paranormal experiences since birth. I've had visions and out of body experiences.

I was even visited when in an OBE by a man who looked like Jesus - - in a long white robe. I was about 5/6.

Those experiences "epiphanies" did not make me become Christian.

I claim Atheism - - because I do not believe in the religious sense of God. Or the bible stories as interpreted.

If Dr. Lumsden now believes in Christianity - - - its the choice he made. Not the experience.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I was even visited when in an OBE by a man who looked like Jesus - - in a long white robe. I was about 5/6.

You see a man in a robe and think he is Jesus, and you say Christians are out of touch. Not only that you think he looked like Jesus, Christ's image was not recorded, so how do you imagine Him looking.
You have a lot of baggage for an atheist.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

Originally posted by Annee

You see a man in a robe and think he is Jesus, and you say Christians are out of touch. Not only that you think he looked like Jesus, Christ's image was not recorded, so how do you imagine Him looking.
You have a lot of baggage for an atheist.

I did not say that. I never said he was Jesus.

I never thought he was Jesus - - even though he looked like artist portrayals of Jesus. (didn't figure I had to explain that in detail)

I have no baggage for an atheist.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by GafferUK1981
reply to post by RebelPanda

Church shop! What does that mean? Wait until you find a church the tells the kind of lies you want to believe?
edit on 6-10-2012 by GafferUK1981 because: (no reason given)

Look if your believe religion is a lie, I can not blame you. You more than likely have seen the same Hippocrates I have seen. But do not devalue someones own personal search for divinity. IF OP searches through scripture, religion, and divinity only to find nothing, then let him but if he or she finds peace and faith then let them. I honestly respect all Atheist views, I really do. But do not hinder ones personal quest.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just start reading the bible, get the Audio Bible app for your smartphone, find a good protestant chruch, like Penticostal, baptist, Alliance or some other non-demoninational protestant church to go to. Somewhere where you feel comfortable. Start praying each day. That's the main thing. God draws near to those that draw near to him. If you never say hi, he might not say hi. You have to start the dialog via prayer. You just got to try it. The moment you try it soon after you'll see and experience remarkable things. God will make his presence known to you. Even more so if you actually say a sinners prayer inviting Jesus Christ into your heart to be your personal lord and savior. In that moment the holy spirit enters your body and then, that's where the action happens. Everything will make sense. So if you want to go All IN that's how. You want a balanced life right? A good life, that includes Spirituality. People with no spiritual aspect to there life as so 1 dimentional. They're so clueless and naive. They haven't woken up yet so to speak. I encourage you to add the spiritual area to your life to complete a balanced life. The spiritual happens to be the most important area to have. Anyway I'm rambling. I'll pray for you.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

Or more likely you're completely delusional and there is no such thing as god.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join