Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

1st Presidential Debate (10/03/2012)

page: 3
11
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It seemed to me throughout the course of the debate that the president had somewhere to be. He had an answer to everything, he laid out his points effectively, it just seemed like he was preoccupied. Like it was his anniversary or something.

Meanwhile Romney looked as if he came into the debate with an attitude of "I don't give a ###t brah. I got nowhere to be tonight. Lets do this."

Personally I think Obama's answers made more sense, but after repeating himself he kinda wanted to move things along, to get out of there. And that attitude sapped strength from his points.

Romney won the 1st debate because he stepped up to the plate. Obama lost because he wanted to go home.

Yay baseball analogies.




posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm an unaffiliated voter, and often hesitant to get in the middle of the R v D polarization thing.

I honestly thought Romney seemed way too attacking - I know people often like that, but to me he was in full CEO "you will listen to me" mode, while trying to say how much he cares for my family - his edges were too sharp for me to feel comforted by his insistence that he had my best interests at heart. Maybe that scores points with people - they are looking for a fight? For aggression? One person's "confidence" is another person's "Geez, did you wipe you boots off before tromping all over the moderator?"

Obama is taking notes and letting this one go - he is a fourth quarter press competitor. He was letting Romney get a few shots in and not challenging him on some obvious things, letting him have his "zingers," which Romney gleefully jabbed with. On one hand Obama came off as "debate rusty" and struggled to find his words, on the other, he came off as the reserved, more polite, respectful person. I don't like people being overly aggressive in general, stepping over fair-play, pretending the referee is there for show and not to be respected - can you imagine treating the Mods here at ATS like that? I guess, for me, Romney comes off as a bit of a jerk - though again, there are folks who will say he "won" because of the same things that make me cringe and feel threatened (yes, threatened). The president seemed passive, taking hits, but I would seriously not count him out. I think he was playing strategy, and it frustrated him to have to let Romney get his swings in. Then again, he could just be off his game as a candidate. As to fact-checking, the truth will out...I hope.

peace,
AB



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   


"You only pick losers."


Most memorable line spoken tonight.
This could get very ugly, I hope.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AboveBoard
I'm an unaffiliated voter, and often hesitant to get in the middle of the R v D polarization thing.

I honestly thought Romney seemed way too attacking - I know people often like that, but to me he was in full CEO "you will listen to me" mode, while trying to say how much he cares for my family - his edges were too sharp for me to feel comforted by his insistence that he had my best interests at heart. Maybe that scores points with people - they are looking for a fight? For aggression? One person's "confidence" is another person's "Geez, did you wipe you boots off before tromping all over the moderator?"

Obama is taking notes and letting this one go - he is a fourth quarter press competitor. He was letting Romney get a few shots in and not challenging him on some obvious things, letting him have his "zingers," which Romney gleefully jabbed with. On one hand Obama came off as "debate rusty" and struggled to find his words, on the other, he came off as the reserved, more polite, respectful person. I don't like people being overly aggressive in general, stepping over fair-play, pretending the referee is there for show and not to be respected - can you imagine treating the Mods here at ATS like that? I guess, for me, Romney comes off as a bit of a jerk - though again, there are folks who will say he "won" because of the same things that make me cringe and feel threatened (yes, threatened). The president seemed passive, taking hits, but I would seriously not count him out. I think he was playing strategy, and it frustrated him to have to let Romney get his swings in. Then again, he could just be off his game as a candidate. As to fact-checking, the truth will out...I hope.

peace,
AB

Just stop the madness everyone. Why aren't the majority of people demanding more from our president! This is B.S Please can someone tell me what Obama has done that warrents a second term



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Can anyone on here tell me why Obama deserves a second term? What has he done? I have asked this repeatedly and no one can give me an answer
edit on 3-10-2012 by BrieBird because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird
 


I think that poster did a pretty good job laying out his opinion on the debate. It's pretty obvious from your posts your only looking for people to agree with you that Romney was the winner and is totally going to go on and win this thing.

Barack Obama does not deserve a 2nd term. He wasn't even qualified to be elected in the first place. Yet here we are. Romney should be running away with this thing, but he isn't. He did well tonight but it's still going to be neck and neck. I think that says a lot about Romney as much as Obama.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I thought Obama looked like he was finding it hard to explain his past four years. I thought Romney looked more confident. And I continue to think that were all screwed no matter who you vote for. Its purely there to make you think that one of the two can fix the mess were in. Where in reality they get paid by the same boss and they try to do a good job of making it seem like thats you!



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
reply to post by TheOneElectric
 


Romney verse Romney seems to be the Obama plan.

It seems Obama's goal is to let people get a good look at Mitt, and it's not a pretty sight.



That's about it.

Sit back, hand him some rope, let him hang himself.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2
reply to post by BrieBird
 


I think that poster did a pretty good job laying out his opinion on the debate. It's pretty obvious from your posts your only looking for people to agree with you that Romney was the winner and is totally going to go on and win this thing.

Barack Obama does not deserve a 2nd term. He wasn't even qualified to be elected in the first place. Yet here we are. Romney should be running away with this thing, but he isn't. He did well tonight but it's still going to be neck and neck. I think that says a lot about Romney as much as Obama.

I never said that Romney will win nor am I looking for agreement but I am askinf for people who disagree to defend their point. I think Obama will win again and that plays into his attitude tonight he knows that he has a strong voting base that will vote for him regardless.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird
 


There are entire threads on this if you look.

Here's a link to one, and specifically to my response on why I am leaning toward Obama: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to respond.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2
 


I disagree with you. It was neck and neck before the debate...Romney has pulled out in front with this debate. Whether you like it or not....Romney was the clear winner in tonight's debate.

Des



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird
 


Please can someone tell me what Obama has done that warrents a second term

I seriously doubt it. I certainly haven't heard one yet.

See ya,
Milt



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
As far as the debate goes, Romney definitely delivered better without actually saying anything.
It was basically a very well rehersed "I'll do everything that Obama is not doing" practiced to perfection.

However, for many of us he has already shown himself for what he is, a wolf in sheeps clothing.
I doubt this debate will change many peoples minds but it was definitely his night.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBeatMasta
 




the first debate is now over


What debate ?!? What we had was a massive press conference convoked by the two leading parties to make declarations of intentions...

This stuff is a joke, do not engage in perpetuating the type of circus...



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird
Can anyone on here tell me why Obama deserves a second term? What has he done? I have asked this repeatedly and no one can give me an answer
edit on 3-10-2012 by BrieBird because: (no reason given)


I don't think Obama desrves a second term and more than Mitt deserves a first term.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBeatMasta
What are your comments, and views on the matter?

Obama stank. Romney did a fantastic job.
And I'm sure the people at MSNBC are all crying and having temper tantrums ....



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by BrieBird
 


There are entire threads on this if you look.

Here's a link to one, and specifically to my response on why I am leaning toward Obama: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to respond.

So it states that it wants smaller government, give the states back the power to take care of its poor, and health care systems ss has always been a federal government program. FDR was able to pull the U.S out of the great depression in his four years as president. Are we really that close with China? I wouldn't bet on it sure they took some pictures. The dems priorities of green energy has been a failure with Solyndra, love the idea but the private sector will fill that void guarenteed, Supporting traditional forms of energy does not mean stagnation in pushing forward with cleaner energy why couldn't it promote just the opposite? Taking care of the sick ect ect will and should always remain a priority but the states can handle that one. As far as increasing revenue implement a fair tax, promote reinvestment, free up disposable income, stop with the bailouts.



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird
 


Yeah, as you can probably see I'm a bit torn. Obama's foreign policy showed a clear shift toward China in '09 but he seemed to pull back after currency manipulation allegations made it politically questionable. I think he is the better choice to develop that relationship going forward. I also think Obama is a better choice in handling the Middle East. I am voting primarily on international policy because I feel domestic issues are more in the hands of the people and congress than the president. The one field where the executive has a stark influential advantage is foreign policy.

I think Romney's a pretty good candidate, but some elements of the Republican party concern me. I think they are a bit too aggressive in cutting spending short term and favor religious views too much.

Regardless, there won't be drastic change with either candidate because there most likely won't be a super majority. I wouldn't have a problem with Obamacare being repealed, and think it should eventually. But I also don't have a problem letting it stand for four years and seeing the effect.

It's a difficult election for me as a young voter and relatively new to political interest, but my state is safe Dem anyway. I'm more inclined toward local politics where I will be voting for more than one Republican that will probably end up losing.

My main political motives are increasing the individuals responsibility in the community, decreasing lobbying, and somehow increasing awareness of the flaws in the two party system. The two parties are way too uniform within. There's no reason why nearly every official that favors market regulation should also be pro-choice.

Edit: Should be noted that TARP was Bush administration and supported by both parties. Also, there was some success in green energy stimulus projects. More success may come in a lag effect as a lot of that money went to R+D and young companies.
edit on 10/3/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Its amazing people will change their minds about a person just from a debate. Ok Romney was better tonight than Obama.

But should voters overlook what Romney says in private ( what he really thinks?) He also is a tax cheat in my opinion.

I bet you a million dollars if President Romney got elected. He wouldn't do anything to change this country, he will make the middle class poorer and rich will be much better off.



posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird

Originally posted by AboveBoard
I'm an unaffiliated voter, and often hesitant to get in the middle of the R v D polarization thing.

I honestly thought Romney seemed way too attacking - I know people often like that, but to me he was in full CEO "you will listen to me" mode, while trying to say how much he cares for my family - his edges were too sharp for me to feel comforted by his insistence that he had my best interests at heart. Maybe that scores points with people - they are looking for a fight? For aggression? One person's "confidence" is another person's "Geez, did you wipe you boots off before tromping all over the moderator?"

Obama is taking notes and letting this one go - he is a fourth quarter press competitor. He was letting Romney get a few shots in and not challenging him on some obvious things, letting him have his "zingers," which Romney gleefully jabbed with. On one hand Obama came off as "debate rusty" and struggled to find his words, on the other, he came off as the reserved, more polite, respectful person. I don't like people being overly aggressive in general, stepping over fair-play, pretending the referee is there for show and not to be respected - can you imagine treating the Mods here at ATS like that? I guess, for me, Romney comes off as a bit of a jerk - though again, there are folks who will say he "won" because of the same things that make me cringe and feel threatened (yes, threatened). The president seemed passive, taking hits, but I would seriously not count him out. I think he was playing strategy, and it frustrated him to have to let Romney get his swings in. Then again, he could just be off his game as a candidate. As to fact-checking, the truth will out...I hope.

peace,
AB

Just stop the madness everyone. Why aren't the majority of people demanding more from our president! This is B.S Please can someone tell me what Obama has done that warrents a second term


Madness? Why are you using my opinions for this appeal to "stop the madness?" My thoughts/feelings about the debate are BS? Romney making the "red flags of fear" dance along my spine isn't BS to me; I tend to respect my gut feelings, as well as the time and effort I put into reading and understanding policy issues. I would agree that sitting around discussing the debate like a tennis or boxing match isn't conducive to solving the issues of our country, if that's what you mean by BS. I gather you are not an Obama supporter. I'm not going to engage in a debate with you over that; I don't like debates, and really what could anyone say to change your opinion? More importantly, why do you want me to engage with you that way? I reason things out on my own and make my decisions privately - hence the "unaffiliated voter" status.

I will say that one of my personal reasons is that I have a first hand understanding of disabled and medically fragile children, the Medicaid system and how it effects people's daily lives, not just as numbers on paper. I'm also very familiar with health care costs. Romney said recently that we do have health care for uninsured folks - they can go to the ER and get care. Hmmm. And if they have a chronic condition as opposed to an acute? If they have a life-long disability? A degenerative disease? Dementia? If they need an organ transplant? Cancer treatment? They don't do that in the ER. I have private insurance. I worked for an insurance company. I know that they want money for their products, and will sell you as far up the river as they can to get it, while making you think they care. They don't care. They don't pay for as much as they possibly can get away with - it's called outsourcing expenses, which means providers and individuals pay for more and more while they make more and more. They are like credit card companies in that they love fine print and making profits, and can send you a cold slap in the face with the words "denial of coverage" without thinking twice about it. It's just business, after all. Romney is a good businessman. He knows how to cut costs like a businessman. How do businesses cut costs? They cut out benefits for their workers, among other "streamlining" activities. Everything but the CEO's pay and the "shareholders" cut, the "owners" - the people at the top. Who is investing in Romney? That is in part why he scares me. And what is the "business" of the country? Is it not "We The People?"

Sorry you didn't like my post, BrieBird. I can't please everyone - just throwing in my honest two cents like everyone else...

peace,
AB






top topics



 
11
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

log in

join


Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution