It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is there a shadow of a "person" in this Mars rover image?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

there isn't.
what does this have to do with spacesuit coincidences?

regarding this issue, i had previously posted that it was a shadow from the machine itself, I still think that's the most plausible explanation. BUT. space suits, desert, wet tracks, air anomalies.... is it any wonder theories exist?
edit on 1-10-2012 by ceetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

IT COULD BE, that this shadow:

Might just turn out to be this:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saneeto
reply to post by GArnold

IT COULD BE, that this shadow:

Might just turn out to be this:

I think so, the rock "visor" is what makes the brain complete the "man"

I still seriously question the location of the rover, but that's not the subject of the thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
To me it seams like you can see hair on this shadow "encircled"

In the image it looks like a person who is leaning forward to reach something. It also looks like he has something on he's back. Like a small back pack.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If you really examine the picture closely you can discern that the shadows from the rocks are contributing to the illusion of "hair". You can see some of the rocks have thin slivers of shadows attaching to the rover's shadow making it appear as "a guy's hairpiece". That was the only anomoly I needed to get straight. It does very much look like a "guy" reaching up to a part on the rover. But, it's over for me. A shadowy illusion.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wlarnett

Ok, I just showed the original image to my wife and told her only that it was an image of mars, and she says "Why is there a man on mars?"

I have showed my entire family this photo, i did NOT point out any thing,suggest anything ect,i in fact left them with no opinions relating to any figure.Every member of my family said ,"that's the shadow of someone","are you sure this was taken on Mars as there is a shadow of a person there".

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
To me it seams like you can see hair on this shadow "encircled"

In the image it looks like a person who is leaning forward to reach something. It also looks like he has something on he's back. Like a small back pack.

That's what I saw too! BUT!!!! Look closer and you'll see that it's just an effect of shadows on the rocks, no hair on a head. I truly believe this is simply a part of the Rover and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wlarnett

It's either a shadow of a man, or the shadow cast from the Rover itself. I wonder which is more likely?

Due to the orientation of the Rover relative to the position of the Sun always changing, I would think looking at shapes in the Rovers shadows could be akin to looking at shapes in clouds.

I have seen cloud shapes that look like bunny rabbits, but I never assumed these were really giant fluffy bunny rabbits floating in the sky.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

What? Did everyone forget the 1978 film "Capricorn One"?

Capricorn One is a 1978 science fiction thriller movie about a Mars landing hoax. It was written and directed by Peter Hyams and produced by Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment. It stars Elliott Gould with James Brolin, Sam Waterston and O. J. Simpson as the astronauts.
Although Capricorn One is thematically a typical 1970s government-conspiracy thriller with similarities to Hyams's subsequent film Outland, the story was inspired by conspiracy theories surrounding the Apollo Moon landings.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 10/1/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: photo

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by GArnold

This is very very odd..

I have been looking at this for about a hour and honestly cannot think of any answer for this image.

Does anyone have any explanation?

www.ufo-blogger.com...
edit on 29-9-2012 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

The answers is very simple. It is a shadow cast from the rover itself. Here is one from Sol 26. No mystery here.

- Cheers

Here is the NASA page

And here is the HiRes version
edit on 1-10-2012 by Holosapien because: ABC

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hi-Res is much clearer, but I can't say I saw anything on the original either.

Regardless of where Rover is, Bob's not working on him

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
reply to post by Dustytoad

If you look closely at the shadows head you can see hair sticking out,
can anyone see what I'm seeing?

Yep - I saw the hair right away. Why does the robot have hair?

But a guy in Chile with a back pack dusting it off - he can have hair no problem.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

I can tell you without question that the Mars Rover went to Mars. I have a good friend who I have known from High School that I would trust with my life or the life of my child that works directly with the Mars Rover Project. I have spoken at length face to face with her and I trust her implicitly.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by trusername

But a guy in Chile with a back pack dusting it off - he can have hair no problem.

The 'hair' some people is seeing is just an optical illusion created by the motorized wire brush aka The Dust Removal Tool (DRT) on Curiosity's arm.

You can learn more about Curiosity's instrumentation at the MSL Science Corner
edit on 1-10-2012 by Holosapien because: ABC

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
You can see and make whatever your imagination let's you.
Like shadow puppets on the wall when you were a kid.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by trusername

Well, here is an image from sol 53 that shows the shadow again (you can see the "guy's backpack" -- near the center of the image), however, in this image, the rest of the "person" no longer looks like a person, but looks like the shadow of piece of equipment:

Higher Resolution Version

...and yeah -- with all of the pieces of equipment on the rover, I suppose there could be various shadows cast depending on the orientation to the Sun.

I think what we are seeing (in the OP's image, and in my above image) is a piece of the MAHLI instrument at the end of the 8 foot-long arm, and a piece of that arm itself. The arm may be half-deployed, hence the reason it is visible. The image below (taken during tests on Earth) shows the MAHLI and the arm in the stowed position:

edit on 10/1/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Greetings all , long...... time...... ATS reader but my first post ! , anyhow I don't quite see the foot but looking at the pic at what I assume the original poster is seeing as the head , sure looks like hair to me ? , I looked at shot NASA shots of the rover and not quite seeing anything that looks like an 80's styled wig on it ? , just my two cents

cheers all

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by GArnold

there you go..

im not seeing the foot though.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thatscold2

First of all, the item circle in the image in your post is NOT the shadow (with "hair") in question. The shadow in question is to the left.

Someone else drew an outline of what they thought looked like the shadow of a person:

In reality, these are shadows of equipment on the rover.

the item circled in red in your image is the elbow joint of the rovers "arm" (the arm that holds the MAHLI camera and other equipment), as this picture of a test version of the rover on Earth shows:

The object outlined in green above is not a person, but rather the MALHI camera and other equipent at the end of the rover's arm. In the OP's image, the angle of the MAHLI relative to the Sun is causing the MAHLI to have a long and stretched shadow.

Here is another image of the MAHLI's shadow, but this one is not stretched; the position of the Sun relative to the MAHLI makes for a more normal shadow:

And this image where you can see how "bumpy" the shadow of the MAHLI and other equipment could be:

and in enlarged detail:

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ummm hmmm...

Because the fake rover - which you never really see in pictures, and when you do it's bits and pieces in black and white - needs cleaned or maintained.

The fake rover requires maintenance so badly that NASA - apparently part of some super-secret cabal - risks a damning picture being released, like this one. Oh, and apparently they don't check their images because, you know, they're only lying to the public about the whole mission.

If the mission is fake, then so are the pics. This theory makes less than no sense. What would need maintenance on a fake rover?

Sometimes the staggering stupidity of some of these posts literally boggles my mind.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

What would need maintenance on a fake rover?

There's a lot of wind in the Mojave desert, if you don't already know...

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join