It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panetta: We Lost Track of Syrian WMDs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

What was that ?

We lost track of some more WMD's ?

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta says we did lose track of Syrian WMD's.

Jeezzzz.....the timing couldn't be worse.

Today, Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta announced that the US no longer had knowledge of the whereabouts of some Syrian chemical weapons, and admitted that those weapons may have been funneled to rebels or Iranian proxies. “There has been intelligence that there have been some moves that have taken place,” said Panetta. “Where exactly that’s taken place, we don’t know.”

Panetta maintained that the most dangerous weapons were the ones still in possession of the Syrian government. But “with regards to the movement of some of this and whether or not they’ve been able to locate some of it, we just don’t know.”..............

More uncertainty and fumbling

What's the next surprise ?

Lots of foreign policy fumblings lately

Does the whole U.S. Government seem Lackadaisical ?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
OH NOOOOOO!! Nothing worse than a half dozen canisters of pepper spray getting lost. Although it could be like Iraq's WMD's.........

I smell something stinky, and it ain't the Syrians.....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

To have someone in authority basically say, "My bad" when it comes to chemical weapons speaking volumes of the people in charge.

Bloody typical.

My god, how bad can it be when I'm not shocked anymore by this administrations behviour!?!?!?!?!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Know your history, as some will recall there is that whole Russian's leaving Baghdad for Syria during the invasion. Military observers in a convoy. Either they were smuggling out a crashed ufo or they had Iraq's wmds. Maybe the Obama administration will use the same "illegal" tactics to get involved in Syria that Bush used for Iraq.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Another propaganda BS I think. He's the US Secretary of Defense......we all know they're all liars. Bush....says there are WMD's.......where.....never found.... Probably the same with Panetta. Obama's administration are even bigger war mongers than Bush was. Congrats to Obama for making the US seem even more like the assholes of the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Panetta prolly lost track of US wmds also.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
why would they even tell us that unless they wanted to use that statement politically and militarily?

and they received intelligence that the chems were moved, but never asked from where?
if they don't know, why would they tell us?
what good does that do besides scare the crap out of someone ignorant who hears this story?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is the primer.....the WMDs may surface later on after we get more familiar with them being on the move somewhere....
there could be a false flag started with these precursive announcements......Its probably a reasonable assumption that Panetta means they lost track of them recently.....because of the chaotic situation there.....and are not sure whose hands theyll turn up in.
Stay tuned for more pronouncements and the start of international intervention soon......The rebels even have a billionaire backer now....a Syrian to boot.....

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Is this a joke?

Panetta should have retired after his crazy comments last Spring.

If this is true, heads should roll.

Somehow, though, it feels like a 2003 redux.

edit on 9/28/2012 by Sergeant Stiletto because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Why don't we ask the Russians? They're excellent at tracking these things. See Iraq.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
It's not really that big of a deal. You can take solace in the fact that this isn't the first time DOD has lost track of something.After all, they did somehow lose 2.3 trillion dollars.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Guess who was sitting right behind Colin Powell when he made his address to the UN about Iraqi WMDs?
Good ole Leon.
Will we ever learn?

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Svipdagr
Another propaganda BS I think. He's the US Secretary of Defense......we all know they're all liars. Bush....says there are WMD's.......where.....never found.... Probably the same with Panetta. Obama's administration are even bigger war mongers than Bush was. Congrats to Obama for making the US seem even more like the assholes of the world.

Those RUSSIAN WMDs that left Iraq just weeks before the coalition forces could invade to take custody of them were not only "found" but never lost. USAF birds watched the 11 RUSSIAN trucks take them out of Iraq into Syria.

So as to not provoke RUSSIA into the unavoidable end-game thermonuclear war, the Bush administraton lied and said they made a mistake that they were never there. Took one for the team and the 2-dimensional thinkers sucked in all in and believe it to this day.

Problem is the Iraq (RUSSIAN) WMDs really, really may have been lost this time in Syria. Now the world is really screwed if this is true.
edit on 28-9-2012 by tkwasny because: typo-fix

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

To have someone in authority basically say, "My bad" when it comes to chemical weapons speaking volumes of the people in charge.

Bloody typical.

My god, how bad can it be when I'm not shocked anymore by this administrations behviour!?!?!?!?!

It was the previous administration that conditioned many of us to no longer be shocked by their tales. This one is no better than the previous, so it appears, but not at all unique. I guess a vote for Romney will do away with any more "oopsies", right?. Deja vu.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Originally posted by beezzer

Bloody typical.

It was the previous administration that conditioned many of us to no longer be shocked by their tales. This one is no better than the previous, so it appears, but not at all unique. I guess a vote for Romney will do away with any more "oopsies", right?. Deja vu.

edit on 28-9-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

Dunno. To already interpret Romneys actions as poorer than they already are is a weak defense.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Not the WMD's again? Come on for kripes sakes think up something original, you guys already used that excuse to start a war before remember? Iraq? Sadam Hussein? I got it! Say that the Iranians have developed the Q37 illunium space modulatOOR! (ala Marvin Martian).

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
"Andrei, you've lost another submarine?"
- The Hunt For Red October

I couldn't help myself.

ETA:

But seriously - What kind of game is Panetta playing and why is it important that the public be told these things? The Hegelian Dialectic at work to some end... but what?

edit on 9/28/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: Edit To Add and a typographic error

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
"Andrei, you've lost another submarine? "
- The Hunt For Red October

I couldn't help myself.

Outstanding Comrade! You point out the Kapitalists absurdism. More vodka ration for you.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sergeant Stiletto

My avatar is in love with your avatar. I told him to take a cold shower.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

those weapons may have been funneled to rebels or Iranian proxies

Wow. Irony is perhaps not so overrated as some people I interact with from time to time maintain.

WMD crossing into Syria during the lead-up to invasion and subsequent invasion of Iraq was, in 2003, the hush-hush talk of the town. And of course media reports eventually surfaced that Saddam's stockpile of WMD "may" have crossed into Syria. That the incumbent SecDef is calling an audible from the sidelines using the OIF playbook ... you know I do think the grey-haired dudes at the Pentagon & elsewhere are running out of magic tricks to amaze the public with.

In any case I can't think of one good reason Bashar "may" have funneled his one and only trump card to rebels and Iranian proxies. To my knowledge his position is that the reserve of WMD at his disposal would be used to ward off foreign invasion should regime change be on someone's mind. And that is, in my mind, a damn smart policy if you happen to be a potential target of the U.S. military. But the SecDef's speculation is now public and I can think of no other reason the speculation has been made public other than that the news "may" induce the public into a worried frenzy.

Okay, rant over. Sorry about that.

edit on 29-9-2012 by Kovenov because: changed "position was that" to "position is that"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join