It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Exempt From The 2nd Amendment?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The question is "Am i exempt from the second amendment?", the answer is no, you are not. Just because modern law has determined that the second amendment allows the "chosen rulers" of our country, informed and guided by law enforcement, medical industry moguls doesn't mean that the the right to bear arms doesn't apply to you. Think about it. The psychology guidbook of today states that almost anything can be contrued as a mental illness, and displaying these "symptoms" can alarm a family member or anyone in society who witnesses you displaying them, and call the police. If the police are called you will more than likely end up with an involuntary hospitalization and according to modern gun laws which are unconstitutional, can ban you from buying a gun.

What the New world losers are doing is trying to make a large enough portion of the US mentally ill, with their psychotronics, brain computer brain telepathy or AI telepathy, even the other dimensional beings are in on it, crazy as it sounds I know it's true. This is a battle between good and evil. Just because popular opinion has been swayed by faulty explanations of people with "mentall illnesses" like schizophrenia doesn't make them right. it's their own lack of reading and studying the facts. Some People adjust to hearing voices and don't listen to them over time. Or with medicine they go away. I think their needs to be a provision that allows you to buy a gun if you can prove in a mental health court that you are stable enough to do so. Perhaps having parents or relatives or an advocate of some kind to testify for your sanity.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
reply to post by glassspider

I just want my own gun for hunting that's it. I don't like using other peoples stuff. I also speed when I drive it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Problem is the risks you are willing to take impact the rest of us and we don't get to be involved in the decision process....I mean you speed willingly, if you loose control and kill a pedestrian or family ..they didn't get the choice now did they!
edit on 27-9-2012 by Ericthenewbie because: spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You can pick up a gun for hunting just about anywhere, except maybe from a dealer.

There are plenty of auctions and there are plenty of people that have just gotten a bunch of guns because someone in the family died and left the guns to them.

Everyone likes to hunt. Maybe you don't need to buy a gun after all. You could just borrow one from a friend.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Wow in Mo. you cannot if you are habitually under the influence... Now how many people drink on a daily basis or even regularly, and are still competent to go hunting or own a fire arm? That was wild.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You could take up bow hunting, I think some one also mentioned pellet guns which work great for small game. A good crossbow would work for hunting and self defense in the home. A few states might have restrictions on crossbows for those with mental illness, I don't know.

The law vary's by state so you would need to check, but for self defense there is pepper sprays, stun guns and tazers. You could train in martial arts. I agree a firearm is best, but it sounds like that at best you are skirting the edges of the law and at worst committing a felony by owning or attempting to own a firearm in your situation.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Each state is different when it comes to people with mental illness owning firearms, as other posters have pointed out.

I just wanted to say, I have Schizo Affective disorder which is basically paranoid schizophrenia with bi polar mixed episodes and for me occasional catatonia when I get really bad. I've had many hospitalizations, some which were involuntary - all but 3 of them were short stays. I'm 27 now so I've spent a good portion of my life in hospital. I haven't been committed for 4 years now and am stable (ECT and good meds, used to go to therapy too but had to stop when I lost insurance, luckily there is a program to cover my meds)

It's hard for me to type that because I know it makes me look bad but I wanted you to know where I am coming from when I type this:

Even though I am stable now I WOULD NEVER CONSIDER OWNING MY OWN FIREARM (even if it was legal in my state) psychotic episodes come on quickly and having a gun that is easily accessible is dangerous for you and others. Just because you think you are stable now doesn't mean you will be later today or tomorrow or a year from now. When we become psychotic we are no longer "us" in the traditional sense and there is no predicting what we would do.

I say this because I care about you, not to be mean. You will do whatever you decide but I want people like me and you to stay safe and I want others to be safe too.

I'm really glad you've been doing well for 10 years though! That's great news!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your situation, and I'm glad to hear you are doing well. If you truly believe your situation wouldn't put another human in jeopardy I'd say go for it. Years ago I intentionally overdosed and also was hospitalized, but when I was in there they asked me if I owned fire arms, I said yes, then they asked me if I would hurt myself or others with said fire arms, I said no. I had to sign a paper stating that I was hospitalized, but if I would have fought being hospitalized I would have had a court date to fight it.

If I would have fought treatment and had to go to court, I'm sure it would have prevented me from buying a firearm. If you are planning on buying a firearm, keep your business to yourself.

If you believe you are not responsible enough to own one then don't do it.

Besides for as long as Americans have owned firearms, I'm sure others have been worse off then you and they were likely fine...or not.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome
reply to post by glassspider

I just want my own gun for hunting that's it. I don't like using other peoples stuff. I also speed when I drive it's a risk I'm willing to take.
nevermind
edit on 27-9-2012 by grubblesnert because: nevermind

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Check the laws, you may not be allowed to buy a new one but if there is no law saying you are not allowed to own one buy one used. Shotguns and rifles you don't have to transfer registration. *at least in my neck of the woods they don't*

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Nah, my dad is crazy and has bought plenty of guns from stores.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The problem here is in allowing mental health professionals to decide who can and cannot own a firearm. Psychiatry is a very subjective science with far too much room for misdiagnosis and the possibility of making a diagnosis for purely monetary reasons. Having been through the system as an adolescent I can tell you for the most part they are engaged in a hit-and-miss profession that enriches itself by creating new criteria and new "illnesses".

Where in the Constitution does it say that we may only have our rights if we are of sound mind? And who determines what a "sound" person is anyway? 30 years ago I was complaining about GHW Bush and his cronies making continuity of government plans and people said I was crazy. Was I?

The right to defend one's life and those of his family should only be infringed upon where there is clear and unequivocal evidence that they cannot be responsible with a firearm.
Our OP has provided no such evidence.

Those who think he should not be able to legally own a firearm are engaged in armchair psychiatry yourselves. We should be defending the rights of all others if we would have them defend our own otherwise we are creating the conditions for our own enslavement.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
I just wanted to say, I have Schizo Affective disorder which is basically paranoid schizophrenia with bi polar mixed episodes and for me occasional catatonia when I get really bad.
It's hard for me to type that because I know it makes me look bad but I wanted you to know where I am coming from when I type this:

Being honest with others about yourself makes you look GREAT In my opinion. It is the first step in establishing meaningful relationships and something the world could use much more of. Too many of us are afraid of negative reactions from others and we fail to say what we truly want. The very basis of the 1st amendment is to keep channels of communication open and free so that we might all speak from our hearts instead of our egos.

Thank you for letting us get to know you in such a personal way.
You show all the hallmarks of someone with real character and compassion which makes you an asset in any community.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
It appears to me that according to Michigan law unless you are currently under involuntary treatment either as an in or outpatient or have a court judgment declaring you insane or legally incapacitated you can qualify for a pistol license.

www.legislature.mi.gov...(S(2bvw3c45dx1x12vkocl4fs3k))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-422

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

(f) The person has not been adjudged insane in this state or elsewhere unless he or she has been adjudged restored to sanity by court order.

(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.

(h) The person has not been adjudged legally incapacitated in this state or elsewhere. This subdivision does not apply to a person who has had his or her legal capacity restored by order of the court.

Regarding the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.

www.nraila.org...

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.”

Article 1, Section 6.

Important/Relevant Gun Laws RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
Permit to Purchase - No
Registration of Firearms - No
Licensing of Owners - No
Permit to Carry - No

Appears to me again that unless you are currently under a court order of involuntary in or outpatient status you can apply for and get a pistol license. (This depends on if Michigan is a may issue or shall issue State.)

However, regarding the purchase of a rifle or shotgun seems to me that you are free to do as you please. Just go buy one fill out the forms and be honest and you should be fine.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
The problem here is in allowing mental health professionals to decide who can and cannot own a firearm. Psychiatry is a very subjective science with far too much room for misdiagnosis and the possibility of making a diagnosis for purely monetary reasons. Having been through the system as an adolescent I can tell you for the most part they are engaged in a hit-and-miss profession that enriches itself by creating new criteria and new "illnesses".

Where in the Constitution does it say that we may only have our rights if we are of sound mind? And who determines what a "sound" person is anyway? 30 years ago I was complaining about GHW Bush and his cronies making continuity of government plans and people said I was crazy. Was I?

The right to defend one's life and those of his family should only be infringed upon where there is clear and unequivocal evidence that they cannot be responsible with a firearm.
Our OP has provided no such evidence.

Those who think he should not be able to legally own a firearm are engaged in armchair psychiatry yourselves. We should be defending the rights of all others if we would have them defend our own otherwise we are creating the conditions for our own enslavement.

What you see as armchair psychiatry is what some others see as their personal experience with individuals diagnosed with the same mental illness.

In an ideal world, this would all be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. I would be an advocate of a specific-case determination on this issue for him, but I also suggest following the law that is in place in whatever state he happens to live in.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

How shockingly patronising. maybe rather than engaging in "armchair psychiatry" maybe people are speaking of their own experiences and giving their opinion which is of course what these threads are for. also your comments about medical proffessionals is quite a big generalisation. just because you had a rough time with the people trying to treat you doesnt mean theyre all money grabbing and making up illnesses to get more out of you or put you on drugs. i hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of a gun sold to somebody too irresponsible to own a car.

Edit to add i hope nobody who needs help from medical professionals is put off by reading the many. generalisations you come accross on this site. personally anytime i have had to see psychiatrists or psycologists they have worked hard to find the problem and fix it. sometimes with drugs sometimes with other advice they are most definatly not all bad.
edit on 28-9-2012 by glassspider because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
It appears to me that according to Michigan law unless you are currently under involuntary treatment either as an in or outpatient or have a court judgment declaring you insane or legally incapacitated you can qualify for a pistol license.

www.legislature.mi.gov...(S(2bvw3c45dx1x12vkocl4fs3k))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-422

28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure; forging application; implementation during business hours.

(f) The person has not been adjudged insane in this state or elsewhere unless he or she has been adjudged restored to sanity by court order.

(g) The person is not under an order of involuntary commitment in an inpatient or outpatient setting due to mental illness.

(h) The person has not been adjudged legally incapacitated in this state or elsewhere. This subdivision does not apply to a person who has had his or her legal capacity restored by order of the court.

Regarding the purchase of a rifle or shotgun.

www.nraila.org...

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.”

Article 1, Section 6.

Important/Relevant Gun Laws RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS
Permit to Purchase - No
Registration of Firearms - No
Licensing of Owners - No
Permit to Carry - No

Appears to me again that unless you are currently under a court order of involuntary in or outpatient status you can apply for and get a pistol license. (This depends on if Michigan is a may issue or shall issue State.)

However, regarding the purchase of a rifle or shotgun seems to me that you are free to do as you please. Just go buy one fill out the forms and be honest and you should be fine.

I would agree with the above, except that, since the OP said he was "willing to take the risks" of breaking traffic laws, that he is not responsible to utilize a firearm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join