It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learn To Appreciate Life - The Mayonnaise Jar and Two Cups of Coffee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I wanted to share this with ATS, I came across this on Facebook and I thought it was brilliant and very thought provoking. This sure is one wise professor and with the amount of beautiful inspiring things I'm seeing on Facebook nowadays I'm beginning to wonder if we're all truly in for a enlightenment awakening because to me, that's how it seems to be. When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions--and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

No Source Available.

I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did.

*MODs* If this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it where you see fit.

Regards,

edit on 25-9-2012 by TheProphetMark because: Note to MODs

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I guess the Title is not interesting enough for this thread to get the attention it deserves. A lot of people would have enjoyed this quick, short read. What a shame.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark

A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with an unanimous "yes."

The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The golf balls are the important things--your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions--and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

('
')

Brilliant!! I absolutely Needed this this Moment! Had an Issue Tonight with the Very Subject of "Need" Vs Have.. This is a Brilliant Way of Stepping "Outside" of your self to see the True Core of who We are! Thank you for this Post..('
') ('
')

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Really well said, thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I actually had a philosophy prof do this. I thought it was original....LOL

I enjoyed the demonstration then, and appreciated the reminder now.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
That has to be the best example i have seen yet.

More people need to look at life this way.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The jar would still be full even if no-thing was in it.
It would be full of air - and if there were no air - it would be full of space...

Space/Existence itself can be appreciated.

The "formless" itself can be appreciated - there doesn't have to be a "form" for appreciation to exist.
edit on 25-9-2012 by arpgme because: more thought

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
There are variations of this story, some more rich in detail than others, but the message is always similar. I remember seeing a couple of ATS threads with this story and was wondering when it would next come up again. I don't mind seeing it every now and then because it's an important and positive message.

I did a Google search for the phrase and few sites came up. Here is an extended version:

The Mayonnaise Jar and Coffee

edit on 26/9/2012 by Dark Ghost because: typo

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

The rest of this should be stated. If you do not first of all fill your life with the most important things but rather fill it with superfluous things, then there will be no room for the important things. A jar filled with pebbles or sand, has no room for golf balls but by first filling the jar with golf balls, there is still room for the smaller particles. A prime example is people who pour everything into career and success; they find themselves one day with great success but it is hollow or unsatisfying and it does not meet most of their needs. Life is about balance and proportion. Without this, we end up demented, isolated, lonely. This is called, learning the hard way. Men are much more prone to this form of lunacy. The growing tendency for increased societal feminine values, is good news for all because women tend to be more fair and balanced than men.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rollsthepaul

Right now what i see is Life..the jar, is full of dirt and crap.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by rollsthepaul

Right now what i see is Life..the jar, is full of dirt and crap.

Yes, well.. One persons love is another persons restraining order.
Suppose it's a matter of perspective and outlook. Should always consider that so long as one lives, one can strive to achieve whatever goals are in place.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
The jar would still be full even if no-thing was in it.
It would be full of air - and if there were no air - it would be full of space...

Space/Existence itself can be appreciated.

The "formless" itself can be appreciated - there doesn't have to be a "form" for appreciation to exist.
edit on 25-9-2012 by arpgme because: more thought

that sorta defeats the purpose of a visual aid dont ya think?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

but you still have your golf balls

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I wanted to share this with ATS, I came across this on Facebook and I thought it was brilliant and very thought provoking. This sure is one wise professor and with the amount of beautiful inspiring things I'm seeing on Facebook nowadays I'm beginning to wonder if we're all truly in for a enlightenment awakening because to me, that's how it seems to be. When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.

No Source Available.

I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did.

*MODs* If this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it where you see fit.

Regards,

First of all. Why does it have to be a mayonnaise jar? And second of all. Why does it have to be golf balls?
Yeah these old homilies are really cute. Wise? I'm not so sure. What about the poor schmuck ain't got no golf balls, just a jar. Is it okay if he gets himself some sand and pebbles?

Go down to divorce court and tell it to those guys.

I guess the thing is: he's got a pretty long list of golf balls Family, children, health, friends, passions. What about wine or you favorite television show. Where do the golf balls end and the pebbles begin? How about putting some cheese cloth on this jar to keep out the undesirables.

Philosophy? I don't think so. Pop culture. Sentimental drivel. More like it.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by okyouwin

Why do you have to complain and troll? Don't attempt to fix something that isn't broken in the first place. It works just fine, so go troll somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Why do you have to complain and troll? Don't attempt to fix something that isn't broken in the first place. It works just fine, so go troll somewhere else.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you. Please excuse me. I'm rather new to internet forums and I forget there are actual people behind these posts. Often I take a caviler attitude and in cases this can approach a point of insult. and this I didn't intend. I will attempt to amend my previous post and remove what appears to be the part offensive to you.

Well I wasn't able to edit, but if I could I would remove the part about pop culture and drivel.

I don't know if it makes people stop and think about their priorities. Why not? But I'm thinking, that about halfway through the course those kids might want to write final exam on one of those golf balls. and get ready for the real world..
edit on 26-9-2012 by okyouwin because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2012 by okyouwin because: explanation

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

That is a good story. I am going to print it out and put it up on my wall (my actual, physical wall, not facebook) so that I can read it for inspiration and direction when I am feeling down. Thank you for sharing, TheProphetMark.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I see what you are saying, but you are taking the story too literally.

The point is to make one have perspective in his/her life. It's not about the jar or the professor or the students or the golf balls - these are all metaphors added to the story to make it something people can identify with.

Look at it like this:
Jar = Self, One's entire life.
Golf Balls = Family, Necessities.
Pebbles = Money.
Sand = Material Possessions.
Coffee = Prestige.

Life is already full BEFORE all of the worldly things which we are told will make us "complete" are added.

What one should get from this story: We are whole even when we do not think we are. If we take the time to see this, instead of always seeking external completeness, we begin to understand that life can be perfect just as it is.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

I see what you are saying, but you are taking the story too literally.

The point is to make one have perspective in his/her life. It's not about the jar or the professor or the students or the golf balls - these are all metaphors added to the story to make it something people can identify with.

Look at it like this:
Jar = Self, One's entire life.
Golf Balls = Family, Necessities.
Pebbles = Money.
Sand = Material Possessions.
Coffee = Prestige.

Life is already full BEFORE all of the worldly things which we are told will make us "complete" are added.

What one should get from this story: We are whole even when we do not think we are. If we take the time to see this, instead of always seeking external completeness, we begin to understand that life can be perfect just as it is.

See already you are changing around what these things represent.

I get it. It's a metaphor, allegory, words of wisdom to help us muddle through the mundane realities of our everyday existence. A beautiful thought to bring comfort to my heart and tears to my eyes. A gosh darn good time to wallow in.

I suppose the human does need a little time out to medicate with the balm of joy. I just find it a little sappy. Please excuse me. I didn't mean to interrupt church. I was just getting back to Monday morning.

What was that thing about opiate of the masses?

It was a philosophy class however and it may be a way to get the students to think beyond the pressures and constraints of reality and that's always a good thing.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Always an excellent illustration to applaud.

All the more so as the rush toward literal Armageddon builds up speed.

Dancing with the Stars is NOT IT, folks.

What other people think of your clothes is NOT IT, folks.

Staged, manipulated, mind controlling globalist propaganda is DEFINITELY NOT IT, folks.

Chasing money as a god, is NOT IT, folks.

Arrogant posturing about how long one . . . is, bright one is, rich one is, powerful one is, . . . is NOT IT, folks.

Loving those close IS a HIGH priority now and always.

Being willing to die for them and eternal values IS a HIGH priority.

Priorities are priorities. And they are probably the opposite of whatever the TV is spoon feeding at the moment.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join