It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Love of Everything Surreal............

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I suppose my love of everything surreal goes back to my childhood....

I remember evenings at home in the 1970's as a child in the UK watching episodes of Monty Python with my father and being totally perplexed and transfixed at both the surreal sketches and animated graphics....

I was always amazed how something could have the body of a chicken, the head of a donkey and the arms and legs of a human being.....

I don't know why I was taken in by such abnormal sights....

I have always, but not always intentionally used the surreal within my own artwork...

I do a great deal of large canvas painting, but I never know what I am going to paint until it appears from my brushes onto the canvas. I have tried to work out on many occasions what I am going to paint before I start, but my paintings never seem to go to plan. So I have learned over the years to just go with the moment and see what happens...

Sometimes I often wonder if what I paint is actually from my sub-conscience, maybe something I have seen in my dreams, I am never sure....

I do make notes of my dreams, I try and write them down as soon as I awake in the morning, but as you all know dreams from the night disappear as quickly as they come. I have written a book based on my dreams called Letcher - Grinder - Fish - Poe, I tried to draw the illustrations to go with the book, but in the end I gave up because I felt as though my painting would not do justice to what I had actually seen in my mind at night when asleep....

I have added some old and new photographs of some surreal artwork. Some of the surreal images are paintings and some of them are actual photographs through the ages....

You may find when you look at some of them that they may actually take you back to dreams and images that you may have witnessed yourself, maybe not exactly the same, but they may resemble certain similarities you have come upon at night in your sleep......

Some of them you will like, but others may just creep you out a little.........

Enjoy.....

Link to Letcher - Grinder - Fish - Poe
www.lulu.com...
edit on 17-9-2012 by davethebear because: additional info

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
While you were watching Monty Python in the UK during the 70's, I was across the pond watching the same thing on the only channel that would dare air those types of programs...PBS.

I'm curious about your post.... are these just examples of art that you enjoy or are some of them your own personal work?

I'd love to see your personal works!

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
While you were watching Monty Python in the UK during the 70's, I was across the pond watching the same thing on the only channel that would dare air those types of programs...PBS.

I'm curious about your post.... are these just examples of art that you enjoy or are some of them your own personal work?

I'd love to see your personal works!

Yeah, I think that the love of everything Monty Python is across the world, a breakthrough in TV history and they wonder why we are all mad......hahaha........

The actual pictures I posted are just some of my random favourites, I will get some of my paintings and post them in the near future....

Here is one of my paintings titled Acromegaly, I hope you like it......cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Monty Python was so awesome!
Unfortunately there were many here (USA), just like now, that never understood the humour.

I love art and would like to see more from you!

Please post more of your works!
I'm going to add you as a friend so that I don't miss out.

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

reply to post by davethebear

Monty Python was so awesome!
Unfortunately there were many here (USA), just like now, that never understood the humour.

I love art and would like to see more from you!

Please post more of your works!
I'm going to add you as a friend so that I don't miss out.

Okay tvtexan, I shall try and sort some paintings out for you and others to look at...........cheers

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I really appreciate artistic works.
Art inspires me, yet I have no artistic ability.

I can literally draw stick figures that will make you believe that evolution has reversed!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I really appreciate artistic works.
Art inspires me, yet I have no artistic ability.

I can literally draw stick figures that will make you believe that evolution has reversed!

Don't be put off by believing that you don't have any artistic ability, everybody has some......

The problem that most people have is that they see what others have done artistically and then feel that they could not produce the same kind of creativity....

There is no competition, you are not trying to beat anybody else, you just do it for yourself....

You are an individual so your work represents you....

If you fancy a good way of relaxing instead of watching TV, then just buy yourself a canvas or painting pad. Buy around 6 or 7 tubes of acrylic paint and a cheap pack of artist brushes, put your favourite album on and just paint away. Easy, you will be surprised by what appears on the canvas. You can get many artist materials quite cheap these days. The other day I bought 4 canvas's and 8 tubes of paint for £15.00 ($24)...............

Ask your family or friends to buy you some products for your birthday or Christmas, then it don't cost you a thing....hahaha..........

It's always worth a try.................Don't be scared.............

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Love Monty Python, Rene Magritte, Salvador Dali and not sure if he qualifies M.C. Escher. I enjoyed your art too, maybe you might think about posting more? I like art that asks us to examine our assumptions/perceptions.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Love Monty Python, Rene Magritte, Salvador Dali and not sure if he qualifies M.C. Escher. I enjoyed your art too, maybe you might think about posting more? I like art that asks us to examine our assumptions/perceptions.

Wonderful, another Python fan....................Salvador Dali I absolutely adore, love his artwork.......I shall post more of my artwork when I get the chance..............cheers

top topics

join