It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

I don't think you realize how big a single galaxy can be. an advanced civilization could stay in one galaxy for millenia and not see it all. This is a wonderful find, will watch developments with great interest.

I don't think you realize how fast humans are capable of multiplying

Say it takes 10000 years to build a world the size of earth and it requires 100 million colonists to do so. A planet the size of earth is capable of producing 100 million colonist every 1000 years.

So here we go: After 20000 years there are 10 earth sized planets. After 30000 years there are 100 earth sized planets. After 40000 years there are 1000 earth sized planets. After 50000 years 10000. After 60000 years 100000. After 70000 years 1000000. After 80000 years 10000000. After 90000 years 100000000. After 100000 years 1000000000.

I think we can now consider the galaxy colonized (depending on the amount of habitable worlds). After 100000 years already. Using in my opinion conservative values.

Of course this is a very simple model and if you take in account that the new worlds will also be able to colonize other worlds in between the 10000 year interval, the growth rate is even higher. Also, I think my estimates are way in favor of slow growth. The population of earth grew from 1 billion in 1800 to 7 billion now. That is a growth of about 350% each 100 years. This means that earth sized planets are capable of producing way more colonist, but it also means that new worlds will be populated way faster.

So I disagree, I think I do realize how large our galaxy is, but I think you underestimate the expansion rate of humans.
edit on 20-9-2012 by -PLB- because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2012 by -PLB- because: (no reason given)

I hear you, but your numbers are meaningless. there are so many variables, some of which we don't know about, CAN'T know about, that would affect them. You seem to be basing everything on an "earth-like" planet. Even if it is earthlike, there will be variations, which could affect colonization and population growth, technological advancement, possibly significantly. we don't have enough data to make the projections you're making. I stand by my comment.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LightsideAssassin

That is why I base my numbers on the variables we DO know about. And those are in favor of my argument.

But you are right, there can always be variables we don't know about (yet) that will destroy my argument. But until then my argument still stands.
edit on 21-9-2012 by -PLB- because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

There are various cases where UFOs appear to "jump" in space from one location to another, hence showing up in different areas on different radars within a very short period of time (seconds). Same UFO, different zip code. If that were terrestrial based folks testing "borrowed" technology from afar, then there should be no reason warp drive technology cannot be reality.

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smangle
Heya all

this is an interesting theory however i do feel that until we have asertained (excuse the spelling lol) a way to control or manipulate the dark matter that is apparently out there we just wont be able to produce the bang needed but if we can manage that then there would be no need for fuel as the entire mass of space itself is supposed to be full of it.not sure about the bending time space bit though.

You've gotten all gobbledygooky there my friend,
. ascertained lol

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by -PLB-

WHAT are you talking about?? No evidence.

Earth itself could be evidence!

And while a good video and book I could suggest substantiate evidence for some UFOs being real craft, they do not examine much before humans had the ability to fly, and to use electricity. However, other works do. Conclusion?

That Earth has been interacted with by unidentified intelligence is thoroughly established.

What is not clear is what or who they were and are.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by timeisonwhoseside

I think that there are two things wrong with your line of reasoning here. First is your standard of the evidence. The evidence we have for UFO's being unknown (space) crafts is flimsy at most. Secondly, even if we do have good evidence of that, there is not logical line of reasoning that can make you arrive to the conclusion that these crafts have superluminal capabilities, or that they are being controlled by aliens. That is just your preferred explanation of yet unexplained events.

posted on Sep, 22 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

Anderson Institute is working on them.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Plotting a course back over long distances would have to take into consideration the speed the solar system is passing through the Milky way and the speed and direction that the milky way is moving in the universe. That would make computations almost impossible because we have no reference points to "zero" in on. Everything is moving.

I'm not sure if anyone actually addressed this part of your post here, but there are already several ways to 'zero' in on the reference points they would need - Provided it's in this galaxy.

This thread for instance is about a 'Galactic positioning system' based around pulsars.

There are several threads I can think of posted over the last few years which, when combined, could start to build a pretty sweet picture in my own mind of how we could have an operational ship using this warp drive, even in my own lifetime!

Of course, that's provided they can actually make the drive work.

Here's hoping. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
edit on 24-9-2012 by jephers0n because: took out part of quoted text people had answered already

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jephers0n

You aren't going to get off this planet alive
Not unless you are one of a few that are chosen to join the space program. When I say off this planet I mean out of it's influence, a place where no man has been yet. The moon is still withing it's influence.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

If all of mankind shared your view, we never would have made it to the moon in the first place.

I'm content holding out hope that in my lifetime humanity as a whole will breach interstellar space.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Maybe some men made it to the moon, but it wasn't anyone from my town. It wasn't anyone I have met and befriended either. What are the odds of you ever getting a ride into space, the common man. Humanity as a whole? Maybe a few guys that are chosen by tptb because they are good at PR. They just make us pay for their research, we don't get to participate at all.
edit on 24-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Maybe some men made it to the moon, but it wasn't anyone from my town. It wasn't anyone I have met and befriended either. What are the odds of you ever getting a ride into space, the common man. Humanity as a whole? Maybe a few guys that are chosen by tptb because they are good at PR. They just make us pay for their research, we don't get to participate at all.
edit on 24-9-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

My, aren't we the cynic?

Several people have gone to the moon, and it was an achievement for mankind as a whole, just as humankind breaching interstellar space would be an achievement for us all.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The trip to the moon cost everyone to work harder to pay for it for many years. It's like having all taxpayers pay for a huge football dome, the game could still be played without the dome. If NASA took all their brilliant minds and focused on monitoring and fixing the problems we are creating with the world even for two years, we would have a much better world.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The trip to the moon cost everyone to work harder to pay for it for many years. It's like having all taxpayers pay for a huge football dome, the game could still be played without the dome. If NASA took all their brilliant minds and focused on monitoring and fixing the problems we are creating with the world even for two years, we would have a much better world.

National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Their goal is space and associated technologies. Not saving the world.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n

True, but cutting edge space technologies can certainly shift paradigms and save the world

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Angelic Resurrection

True, but cutting edge space technologies can certainly shift paradigms and save the world

Sure they can, and I'm not arguing that at all.

I'm saying that NASA shouldn't shut down their space programs in favor of saving the world. That would be absolutely ridiculously stupid. In essence, that other poster was saying: Lets take all these brilliant rocket scientists, and tell them to stop doing the research they have been trained to do, and make them, lets say, cure cancer, or end pollution.

Ludicrous.

There are other agencies and organizations who have the people, who happen to be properly trained for the tasks pertaining to saving this world.

posted on Oct, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
To solidify my point, the conversation here is analogous to a letter I recently read...

NASA scientist responds to nun's question; Why explore space?

Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

To solidify my point, the conversation here is analogous to a letter I recently read...

NASA scientist responds to nun's question; Why explore space?

Enjoy.

Well thats a beautiful letter from a nasa scientist written in 1970
and the use of cease to desist..... in the letter is kind of magnanimous
but does convey the meaning appropriately

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So I saw last night that they are starting to talk about this on TV. Looked at NASA.gov and this is all for real. I would think that this would be a really hot topic here on ATS. Whats up with that? This has got to be one of the coolest bits of news I have heard in a long time.

On another note. Has anyone noticed the resemblance between the artist rendering of the ship design and Vulcan ships in Star Trek. Mabey NASA should ask Gene Roddenberry how to get mass amounts of antimatter.

Also what if the first true test of this theory happened to be right around Dec. 21 and some alien species just happens to pick up the energy signature of the test and decides to come see who the emerging people are. Like in Star Trek: First Contact. lol

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JPeveto4

IMO Nasa is all talk and it will end there. Hmmm....
They will go to the extent of boycotting someone who already has a warp drive .
Double standards if you ask me

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join