It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
that makes me curious sence your bending space time would an object in the travel path go around the warp bubble or act as a empty space in time so there would be nothing there to smash into? i read a few years back about the manipulation of spacetime they were doing with lasers. wonder if this will be done using a bunch of lasers?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reminds me a line in a star trek movie, they said the sound barrier could never be broken and it was broken. Im a believer in what ever can be imagined my human can be turned into reality. Its now just a question of time frame. Will the light barrier be broken in 10, 100 of 200 years.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
ROFL

27 Flags same day,

Looks like this is rocketing past Japan/China, ME riots, WW3

I am pretty damn sure ATS readers don't need to hear anymore and just want to get the %^&$ off Earth

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Even as a child I would watch Star Trek and wonder how they were able to visit all these
strange worlds and star systems in such a short time period.

Though it was never stipulated in the show, I think most people assumed that "Warp One"
was "One" time the speed of light. And since we all know from Scotty's affirmations that
"...giving 'er all she's got Cap'n," was equivalent to about Warp Ten, the Enterprise
would have taken approximately ten months to reach our nearest neighborhood star,
Alpha Proxima.

This little tidbit of science doesn't bode well for a weekly TV series. It makes the show a
tad unrealistic for an informed viewership. Even if you allow for Einstein's special theory
of relativity, where time slows down for persons traveling at great velocity, it is hard to
(reasonable) think that these persons would be okay with returning home after a few months
out in space to find that their spouses look like their grandparents and their kids are all grown
up?

All that being said, if the limit of this proposed technology does turn out to be actually
somewhere around "Warp Ten", then this technology would allow us to feasibly
explore about a city block's worth of our nearest neighborhood stars in a galaxial community
the size of Texas.

One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind....but really not all that significant when
you consider that to reach the Andromeda galaxy at this speed it would take 3000 lifetimes.

BTW and edit to add....I do believe that we as a species (if we do not annihilate ourselves in the
interim) will ultimately achieve the ability to explore other galaxies. And if life is replicated
throughout the universe with the same inherent curiosity and drive to excel that is inherent
in our species, I firmly believe that other alien civilizations are currently doing so....

Beam me up Scotty....

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
The Warp Drives from StarTrek need Tachyon's to operate, which I'm afraid to say are completely made up, fabricated particles "make believe", physicists have taken this in to account, and are now trying t find tachyons or their euivalent through mathematics, and discovery and are quite confident they will find something that fits the bill, maybe by studying dark matter more they might find something that would be a worthy adversary or energy source to compare to the fabled tachyon....
PEACE!!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I don't believe this is possible, that is, to "warp" space/time. The reason is that I don't think there is space/time. In particular, I don't think there is "time".

It is astounding you think that way since this is really already scientifically proven, remember Einstein?

Yes of course "time", "space & time" are only concepts, but modern physics understand there is a big relation with gravity and what we refer to as "space time".

It CAN be bent/manipulated...you can do scientific experiments with atomic clocks, one at ground level, one high at a mountain..they WILL differ because gravitational "forces" are different, "time" is manipulated by gravitation.. This is a FACT. (The same goes for the classic experiment with having two atomic clocks, one in a plane, one stationary...they will also differ because of the speed, just as a side-note).

All it needs now is a means to GREATLY manipulate this "space/time" by sort of an artificial gravity field, and how the article points out possibly by creating a dense field in front of an object and a less dense "space/time" gravity field in the back...resulting in the object being "pushed" through space/time.

I am pretty confident i read an ebook not that long ago, it was by some ATS user and it was about UFO propulsion systems - some user's dad allegedly working on secret projects having witting this book This was a very detailed ebook and i am pretty sure it described THE SAME THING....some sort of propulsion where space/time is manipulated in pretty much the same way as described in this article.

I think its highly, highly interesting that this research really confirms that all this theory is not bunk but it's really possible. If it works "in theory", then it is only a matter of time and technological advancement to put it into practice. It's just awesome.
edit on 18-9-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I hate to be a wet blanket wearing a tinfoil hat, but:

We have wars, economic collapse, political collapse, social collapse- and NASA is working on a warp engine "all of a sudden".

Someone's advertising their escape...?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I know this is supposed to be a "halfway" scientific thread, and this is a good thing..

But i want to point out again what a big coincidence it is since this theory would GREATLY match all the proposed and claimed propulsion systems of UFOs - it would explain anything up to the fact how some UFOs are reported to move in "physically impossible ways" (which otherwise would tear up anything due to the forces).

With such a propulsion an "UFO" (or whatever vehicle) will be able to maneuver in exactly such ways which will seem physically impossible if observed from the outside...MINUS the effects of time dilatation and basically any negative effects.This is EXACTLY the theory behind how many propose and claim that UFOs actually work.

90 degree turns at incredible speeds etc..etc.. here you have it...

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

There is a video on Youtube with information on a new type of propulsion for spacecrafts invented by a Canadian scientist called Pierre Robert and developed by an organization called Killmars. The video asks more questions than it answers, but it is kinda intriguing. Does anyone have more info on this?

The video is here: www.youtube.com...

Respecto, Arkibal

Mods: I posed a similar question in another thread, but it seems to be old and dead.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by wylekat
I hate to be a wet blanket wearing a tinfoil hat, but:

We have wars, economic collapse, political collapse, social collapse- and NASA is working on a warp engine "all of a sudden".

Someone's advertising their escape...?

Basicly what i said.
But as usual, they dont listen to reason...
If we cant solve the issues we have here
we wont be able to build a craft that can
go to the stars...

Now, im not saying it CANT be done...
Im saying, WE cant do it..

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake
that makes me curious sence your bending space time would an object in the travel path go around the warp bubble or act as a empty space in time so there would be nothing there to smash into? i read a few years back about the manipulation of spacetime they were doing with lasers. wonder if this will be done using a bunch of lasers?

In any real-life 'warp-drive' capable ship, you would always travel in normal space. So anything in between your ship & the destination would always be a head-on collision. Meaning it wouldn't last long unless you had a shield which for me, it would have to be plasma based as that would give you the best form of protection against any potential asteroid or comet impacts along the way.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I don't believe this is possible, that is, to "warp" space/time. The reason is that I don't think there is space/time. In particular, I don't think there is "time".

It is astounding you think that way since this is really already scientifically proven, remember Einstein?

That's what they say. I just disagree, that's all. As I said, I'm not going to re-debate things I've debated at length in other threads. You can use the search function if you are interested to see what I have to say on the subject.

I just don't have time
to go over it all again.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Though it was never stipulated in the show, I think most people assumed that "Warp One"
was "One" time the speed of light. And since we all know from Scotty's affirmations that
"...giving 'er all she's got Cap'n," was equivalent to about Warp Ten, the Enterprise
would have taken approximately ten months to reach our nearest neighborhood star,
Alpha Proxima.
I liked and starred your post and think it may actually be somewhat on topic since Star Trek probably reflects some of our ideas on this. I initially thought as you did about what warp means in the show, and it was apparently inconsistent in some early episodes, but later it was more consistent, and warp 10 doesn't mean what you think it means, it's actually warp 2 which is 10 times the speed of light:

startrek.com.sg...

So, the TV show makes more sense when you see warp 9 is really 1,516 times the speed of light. And that would be better than 10 times the speed of light, so I vote we shoot for warp 9 as long as we're dreaming!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

reply to post by ipsedixit

Actually, what you "think" ( translation BELIEVE") is immaterial, since it has been PROVEN that space IS warped. First, it was proven by observation of a total solar eclipse in 1919, You can read the entire experimental observation in any of several hundred articles. Second, it was proven again by a NASA experiment, which you can read about here:
www.time.com...

Your belief is quite meaningless.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

reply to post by wylekat

Well, let's see. NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. I don't believe that wars, economic collapse, political collapse, or social collapse fall under their jurisdiction. If you have a problem with THOSE issues you mentioned, get out and vote in November.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thought some might enjoy reading an actual paper about this by the guy leading this NASA project. The paper is actually on the NASA website. It's a PDF file, and here is the link:

Warp Field Mechanics 101
by Dr. Harold “Sonny” White, NASA Johnson Space Center

This is so totally, absolutely cool!

I have not read the entire paper yet, I just downloaded it. But skimming through quickly, it goes into the theory, the math, the first experiments that have already begun, and the potential if this proves possible.

The first step is a proof of concept, to see if they can create a warp on a microscopic level. Obviously there will be a lot further to go after that, but this will prove whether or not it is even possible. If it is possible, the implications and potential are enormous.

I don't know if he says it in this paper, but in other articles I read that he said it would take about 2 weeks to travel to Alpha Centauri. That's equivalent to about 100x the speed of light, though the ship and people would apparently not move in the normal sense (no acceleration, no G force, no breaking relativity, no time dilation, etc.).

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Has anyone successfully expanded or compressed the fabric of space as described in the article even a minuscule/detectable amount, which is a prerequisite for this concept?

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
Has anyone successfully expanded or compressed the fabric of space as described in the article even a minuscule/detectable amount, which is a prerequisite for this concept?

That's what they're working on testing now. The first test will be to see if they can do it on a microscopic level and detect the warping.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY
You are aware that this galaxy could have as much as 4 hundred billion stars with each star having multiple planets. It's a pretty big place! Having an alien race colonize the entire galaxy is not a good argument against anything. The galaxy is a pretty big place & would take a long, long time & feck knows how many generations to accomplish such a task.

Sure, it can take a billion years. Thats not such a long period on a cosmological scale.

Who is to say that down the line said alien race decides it's had enough & wants to try it's hand in another galaxy or wherever. In fact, I think the opposite would be true! That an advanced race with the ability to explore the wonders of the galaxy & universe wouldn't limit itself to colonizing planets. There is absolutely nothing to gain from such a move. Take a look throughout human history, colonies were set up & said colonies ended up rebelling. If we put a colony on Mars it too would eventually want it's own independence from Earth & be allowed to do it's own thing away from 'our' control. Therefore I cannot see any advanced alien race faring any differently if they ever attempted such a thing.

You can argue this point by simply looking at humans. If humans were to discover interstellar travel within the next 1000 years, we would colonize the entire galaxy. It is in our nature and a result of evolutionary processes. Which would undoubtedly also count for life forms on other planets. The urge to multiply and spread out are in general if favor of a species being prosperous.

Sure they will set up outposts & colonize planets while out on their travels but there is just that many planets out there, that grabbing them all just isn't feasible. Primarily because there is nothing to gain by achieving such a feat so highly doubt it would be on their agenda.

I think the Indians, aboriginals, Zulus, Incas, etc etc. wont agree with the assessment.

As to the other part. Seeing how much energy is involved, then unless it's of the utmost importance, it would never be used for travel within the solar system. If you could travel at 10x the SOL, you could travel around the planet 70x in a single second. So even if it were safe to use within an atmosphere, it ain't gonna be used 'in-planet'.

I don't see why there would be a practical low limit to a warp drive, though I do see a practical high limit.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If done within the earths atmosphere would this warp bubble also act as a counter measure to the effects of gravity and g forces? Could it be used on a small scale to allow Mach 20 speeds with people not turning to mush?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join