It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please give me advice.....injured kitten!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have a 3 month old kitten, named Loli, she was hit by a car last night and I am pretty sure her back right leg is broken. My regular vet is out of town this weekend and everywhere else I've called (emergency vets) just their exam fee is $100. That doesn't include xrays, a splint or cast, and medicines. I just really can't afford it right now and I don't have a credit card. I just recently moved, last week, so every bit of money I had was spent on moving into the new house. My regular vet would allow me to make payments, but I don't know if it is ok to wait until tomorrow to try to set her leg.

I have been looking up information online but can't find anything definite about how to splint it myself. She doesn't seem to be in too much pain, she is eating and drinking water occasionally, but she has mostly just laid in one spot since it happened. When she does get up to walk, she doesn't put any weight on that leg and her foot is swollen.

Has anyone here ever had to splint a kitten's leg before? Or would it be ok to wait until tomorrow to take her to the vet? Also, is there anything over the counter I can give her for pain? From what I've read, most everything is toxic to cats. Oh me, I'm so worried about her.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it so much. I am so sad because I feel so helpless for her. I don't want her to be suffering.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ezekielken

Nooooo! That's so sad!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Damn I'm in the UK, so I may not be much help, but if she's eating and drinking a bit, I would say that's a very good sign. An no sign of obvious pain? Again, that would reassure me a little. She will know that she has to keep still. Have you done an internet search for an online vet advice service? Or a forum where you can ask? In the UK, we have organisations like The Cat Protection League....nothing like that around you?

Or maybe we should all chip in a little to help out........

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
poor kitty, probably best just to keep her movements as little as possible and just keep her calm so keep food/drink and poop tray as close as possible

and ignore the nasty trolls

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyWatcher13

My advice to you is....(pull a fast one) to save your kitten's life and limb...take her to a vet hospital and/or a vet...act like you have the payment money....have them fix the kitten....then say something like...."that you forgot to put your checkbook in your purse; so would they please mail you the bill." Then when you get the bill...make small monthly payments...until it is paid off.

You need to go to a VET!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Here is a link I found that might be helpful until you can get her to your vet tomorrow!

How to Take Care of a Kitten's Broken Leg

Hope it helps some. As for the troll, it is good thing T&C prevents me from saying what I want!

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

The only time she cries in pain is the two times I was trying to move her around to check for any external injuries. But as long as she is still, she seems to be ok.

The only organizations we have that might help would be the Humane Society, but I think once they help the animal is theirs and I want to keep her. She's such a sweet loving little girl.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Thank you. Your words are reassuring.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

U2U me.

If you still need 100 bucks I'll call the vet and give it to them. (My credit card)

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Caladonea's advice will work for sure...I've done it myself in the past, just for a few days. You know you will pay them. If you want to keep her then that's the best route to take maybe, and get pet insurance as soon as you can so you're covered in future....massively helpful and VERY cheap.

Keep us posted. Am thinking about you both.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That is a grand idea! I just wonder if I could really pull that off. But that's definitely worth considering. I just wish these vets would allow me to pay like $50 today then bill me for the rest, even $50 would pushing it and would leave me with nothing for the week until I get paid again, but I would do it in a heartbeat to help her. They won't even take a post dated check! They are in a position to help, but everything's about money for them.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

just teasing skywatcher, I hope your kitten makes it and has a full recovery. if it is suffering though and you can't afford to get it fixed, I would recommend puttin it down.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thank you so much. Going to read that page now.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I think you can pull it off! Go for it...the kitten is worth it.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If Caledonia's idea doesn't work (A fantastic idea that I have done myself in the past prompting many emergency vets and Vets to make new customers pre-pay) keep a close eye on urine, stool, and breathing. If it is only a broken leg it will heal up itself just keep the kitten immobile as much as possible. My concern would be other internal damage. If the kitten is breathing funny or has blood in urine or feces or even is very sensitive in it's hip, back, stomach areas you will need to get the lil one looked at asap.

I had a stray we were feeding once break it's front leg in 5 places. Took it to the vet, paid nearly 400 bucks to be told we could pay another 400 to get it casted up or just let him heal up and keep him immobile for a few months.

Cats, especially kittens are amazing in their ability to heal up on their own.

The ideal is to get the kitten to the vet but this isn't always possible. Watch for other signs of serious injury I outlined above and bring it in as soon as your regular vet is available to be sure.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thank you so much. Going to read that page now.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You wont have to have her put down....this is almost certainly fixable and kittens heal really fast. I'm serious about us all contributing a little. If a few of us do that, you're covered.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

OMG! Are you serious? I'm literally in tears right now. Wow! You are amazing!

I'm going to call the vet and ask if maybe they'll take a post dated check if I have a "friend" that can pay $100 over the phone. Maybe if they're getting that then they will take the post dated check for the rest.

I can't thank you enough! I'll U2U shortly.

posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Just send me the info.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join