posted on Sep, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
I signed up because I saw your post - I'm a vet.
If the kitten is otherwise acting normally, it would not be wrong to wait until tomorrow. However, without knowing the severity of the accident, I
would not rule out any heart/lung contusions or ruptured diaphragms/bladders at this point. The former can't be fixed, regardless - it's just
something to be aware of. Changes in breathing can be seen with diaphragmatic hernias, but not necessarily. If your little one can still urinate,
then I wouldn't be too worried about the bladder. Checking the gums to see if they are pink and if the color returns after pressing on them will let
you know if hydration's normal. If drinking's been normal this also rules out any major internal bleeding.
As far as the leg goes, for tiny guys, I tend to just splint based on where the fracture is and confine them to strict cage rest for 6-8 weeks
(depends on the fracture) and they tend to do really well. Obviously, you can't do this for major fractures. I usually give a few basic
pain/anti-inflammatory pills as I can't imagine it feels too great. Other than that, some time and quality TLC can do a lot of good.
At the end of the day, I always encourage people to have their pets seen. Sometimes that couple of seconds with our eyes and hands on the patient is
all it takes to know whether something is up or not. Though, I completely understand wanting to put your money toward treatment and not just up front
I can't attest to the payment plans of the clinics around you. We get stiffed fairly often, and we even offer a few different means of setting up
plans, so I do understand why some places won't do it. However, you should definitely ask around - a lot of us tend to be softies.