It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please give me advice.....injured kitten!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
As a side note: it looks like she's eating well!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Miz0guchi

Yes thank you! That does make me feel better. I know the vet told me that it would be best to do the surgery in the next day or two, but just to get another opinion (in case it takes a little longer to get the money) what is the longest you think it could wait? I'm not planning on waiting by any means, just wondering what your expert opinion would be. I'm already thinking of and starting ways to make money...I'm selling some stuff online.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Yeah her appetite is still good.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I've been comparing pet insurance policies, reading customer reviews, and such. But is there a company you recommend? Being a vet I figure you probably know what companies actually do what they say they'll do.

I never knew how affordable pet insurance is! Why haven't I done this before now? I'm really kicking myself hard for this whole incident. I've never had an emergency like this arise with any of my cats, but of course I always knew there was the possibility of something happening. Like they say, hind sight is 20/20....I just always figured I would have the money if the need came and my regular vet would always be around. This couldn't have had the worst set of circumstances...broke from moving, regular vet is MIA, & never seen any other vets in my area so none will give me a payment plan.

But I just keep thinking, it could be worse. At least she's still alive. And she's just as sweet and loving as ever!

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SkyWatcher13

I'm sorry I'm not able to help you with $$, but my dog had both of her knees go out on her....the second knee went days after the vet operated on the first knee.
The surgeries were more costly than yours.....FWIW.

He completely dislocated the knee and put it back together with fishing line. The scar tissue that formed in the following months now also holds it all together.
I'm guessing the surgery needs to be done ASAP so that not too much arthritis forms around the injury.

Our girl bounced back rather quickly from the surgery...but needed to be kept on a leash for a time to allow for complete healing.
You may want to ask about what type of after care your kitty will need.

They will probably be shaving much of her leg. Just so you know.

Good luck...I'll be thinking of you and your kitty....and sending good thoughts for a successful surgery.

posted on Sep, 18 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
In regards to the surgery, this will absolutely not heal on its own. A fracture needs to be stable to allow new bone to grow. Really clean breaks like that will slip all over the place if not secured. If in some way it manages to form a callus and attach, she will almost assuredly be lame on that leg. A day or two is not the end of the world, but it is painful, and like I said, no healing will be accomplished. Additionally, remember there's a lot of soft tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments) that are all out of sorts right now. If you need the time to get your things in position (remember, if you're out of house and home - she is, too), then that's just what has to happen. Sooner is still better in regards to getting that leg on the path to being functional.

On a daily basis, I adjust bills around, schedule payment plans, point people to pawn shops, confirm with family members that there is indeed a real medical issue so they can send some money to their shady relative, and take part in borderline black market deals to help make sure people can cover expenses. As long as someone is going to put the effort in to do the right thing - so will I. Doesn't make it any easier. And don't get me wrong, there's a certain extent where even I draw the line for my own pets.

Trupanion is, in my experience, the best of the pet insurance groups. Clients have tended to be happy with it. It's all as convoluted and nutty as any human health insurance. They profile. A Dachshund in a lot of them will get declined for anything related to a blown disc, but when it comes to a potentially costly undertaking for a Dachshund, that's numero uno. Usually, though, the big difference is that they will repay you what they feel like they should - they don't really bargain with us.

If you should ever apply for a larger sum of CareCredit (and be approved), there's a little trick. You get a 6 month no-interest period. If you allocate the first amount for up to $1,500 and then a second one for up to another $1,500, you can add another 6 months and get yourself a year instead. It's a weird little technicality I used to do at the university for tons of people. You want time because they really come a knocking when it's time to pay up. Shocking, I know.

Keep us posted on everything. You're in the perfect storm, but weathering it fairly well so far.

edit on 18-9-2012 by Miz0guchi because: Type-o

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Some pics from tonight:

Poor leg! She just kinda drags it along.

The injured leg is kind of blurry in this one.

She's so sweet & gives the best lovin'!

She does this often...just reaches up to touch my face. So SWEET!

She was being playful tonight.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Thank you for the update....she looks well considering her injury, but she does need her surgery as soon as possible...for the sake of a few hundred dollars, you can't leave her with that to deal with.

I would say that if you haven't heard from your regular vet by tomorrow morning at the very latest, just go with the other guy, as $400 is very reasonable for all that she's having done.

Mods, please, if it's not ok to discuss this here, let me know and we can u2u instead, but we need some participation. Too few animals are with people who love them like they should, and this little girl needs to stay with her family.

Keep us posted please!

edit on 19-9-2012 by caitlinfae because: edited for privacy

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii
[SNIPPED]

Obviously you can see by her posts she is doing the best she can with the resources she has.

Try having some compassion for a woman who took in an extra cat because she had a huge heart, and now she is in a bind.

I'm sure this whole situation has made her realize that pet insurance is a great option to have, and it may have prompted others to get it as well.

I applaud those who have the means to help this woman out, and your generosity is truly uplifting.

Those of you who can only judge her for trying every option available to her, really need to back off.

edit on 9/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Snipped

Not a very helpful comment. We've all been there, in a really tight spot, wondering how we're going to fix it. Maybe you havent, in which case, you're very lucky. There is no point in bitching and passing uninformed comment on other people's behaviour.

Why not put some money in the vet fund yourself? The girl is trying everything she can to raise what she needs, so why not help out?
edit on 9/19/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My offer still stands, of course.

Just let me know.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Likewise my previous offer still stands,I would willingly chip in with $100,after all the only important one here is your kitten.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's called Visa/MC. Ask a relative for a loan.

DO something. That animal is in pain. Instinct keeps it from showing it.

Incredible.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

It's called Visa/MC. Ask a relative for a loan.

DO something. That animal is in pain. Instinct keeps it from showing it.

Incredible.

Deny ignorance.

Sometimes people need a hand. I imagine if she could have, she would have.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
To those who are willing and able to help...maybe the best approach is via u2u/private message.
Just a suggestion.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
To those who are willing and able to help...maybe the best approach is via u2u/private message.
Just a suggestion.

Yes ma'am, thanks for the reminder.

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Of course.
Was just trying to rustle up some participation here.

Cxx

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Personally I don't like cats but regardless of what kind of animal it is I don't want to see them suffer. It appears your cat is doing well and more than likely will make a full recovery. Good luck the rest of the way!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join