It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A big earthquake MIGHT soon hit California. (changed the title not make more people cry. )

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I see these threads all the time. Nothing against you op but, it seems like everyone is waiting for the "big one" to happen. Man I live in the Central Valley and I have NO family here whatsoever. Even though there is a change for a ground shaking even
, I don't want to get caught up in something horrible but I don't have a choice right.

I just wish, people to analyze the probable chance before throwing it out there.

Anyways, carry on gentlemen.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
OKAY the SMELL is gone.......It may happen or it may not! Perhaps earth had "GAS"....I live here..and Yes ITS GOING TO HAPPEN..pretty scary right? BUT I think you should be worried about the midwest...they are all alone and the buildings there would not even stand during a 6.0

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
"All predictions of the future can be to some extent successful by chance."

— Mulargia & Gasperini 1992

www.sciencedaily.com...

We already knew in 2008 that there is a 99% chance of a major quake in California in the next 30 years.

The next thread on an earthquake in California should not be made until after 2038, since we have a 99% chance of an earthquake and someone is bound to make a "prediction" the days or months before...

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The most obvious explanation of the dead fish seems quite plausible, but I still cannot shake the strange feeling I get from the Salton area.

All those swarms of EQs that are still on going and then a fierce sulfuric smell coming out of the same area?
I'm not saying it is a sign of total, apocalyptic destruction I just think these events are most likely related and chalking it up to dead fish may be their way of calming people down, as without an explanation people will get scared and scramble towards outlandish theories.
edit on 12-9-2012 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

Rotting fish mate

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

September 27 is in line with the 188 day cycle idea. California? Good as anywhere in the world. With the volcanism, animal die-offs, erratic animal behavior, and other stupid weird stuff going on, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole earth convulsed like never before. Scare me, you bet! Surprise me, no way, not at all.

But that's just me.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
S & F for you, OP, because you are a brave soul.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will hop on a "dreams and predictions" thread and then tear it to shreds, pick fights and make fun of the OP. Been there, done that, won't ever do it again. Not worth the stress.

I repeat, this is DREAMS AND PREDICTIONS. Nothing more. People have the right to share their prophetic dreams, and make predictions. If you have such a hard time with it, why waste time and cyber space arguing about it?

If you feel it's rotten fish (which I don't), and nothing is going to happen, then bully for you. Move along and post in a thread where you actually have something to add to the discussion. Sooo irritating and immature to have to wade through some of the sophomoric posts on this thread to get to those who actually want to contribute in a positive way.

I looked up hydrogen sulfide, which is what was found in the air in southern Cali, and it can be found around things that are rotting, but ONLY in an anaerobic (without air) environment. Pretty sure that fish rotting in the open air don't smell the same as a rotten egg, which rots inside its shell with no air.

Hydrogen sulfide (British English: hydrogen sulphide) is the chemical compound with the formula H2S. It is a colorless, very poisonous, flammable gas with the characteristic foul odor of rotten eggs. It often results from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen, such as in swamps and sewers; this process is commonly known as anaerobic digestion. It also occurs in volcanic gases, natural gas, and some well waters. The human body produces small amounts of H2S and uses it as a signaling molecule.

en.wikipedia.org...

Occasionally, as I have a water well, I have smelled the rotten egg smell, usually in the summertime. I used to smell it much more when I had a well in central Cali, than I do out here in Texas. Because I have a lot of family in southern California, including my youngest daughter who just moved to San Diego, I am hoping that the earth there is just burping up some gas with the temblors, and it is nothing more than that.

However, one cannot dismiss the possibility of a "big one" because that area is way overdue. Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

However, one cannot dismiss the possibility of a "big one" because that area is way overdue.

Ummm, yeah, which is why making a prediction on an earthquake in California makes no sense! There's already a 99% chance of a major quake occuring in the next 30 years, so it's almost a given. A prediction that there won't be a quake would be more impressive.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

And as the poster was saying, if it is so unoriginal and uninteresting than why are you in here pointing out the obvious? I'm reading this thread because it is interesting to me. I tend to stay away from threads that in my personal opinion do not make sense or have subject matter that leaves me disinterested. I don't get it

Im not trying to be rude or critical I sincerely do not understand it

If someone had a dream that an EQ was going to happen in California soon, whether or not the chances of such an event happening or not is high or low they will still maybe want to discuss it with people, no?

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AngryAlien

If you're looking to be "impressed", this is not the forum for you.

I believe the OP was pointing out that the rotten egg smell that traveled for 100 miles, the heavy EQ activity in that area, and the fact that other major earthquakes in the past were precipitated by the nasty odor MIGHT add up to a big earthquake.

These are legitimate concerns, and I agree with the OP. The operative word in the title was "MIGHT".

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I must say with no disrespect, you could of picked a better source of information then Huffington Post. They are horrible though I understand there isn't many good media sources anymore.

posted on Sep, 12 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

I repeat, this is DREAMS AND PREDICTIONS. Nothing more. People have the right to share their prophetic dreams, and make predictions. If you have such a hard time with it, why waste time and cyber space arguing about it?

Amen!!!!!

Back to read more of this thread.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExNihilo
Well good news, the smell might not be caused by intense seismic activity precursor to a huge earthquake according to the AQDM “I think we’ve shown it was theoretically possible,” that the smell came from dead fish in the salton's sea.

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

This is something that was theorized before this thread came about. In fact, I posted about the very same "dead fish" theory within this thread!

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
It (9/11) just was not the first thing I'd compare an earthquake to.
Then I read that the Pacific Ocean is 9,000 x 11,000 miles at it widest points.
Another 9/11 reference.

OP, I'm with your view just not the date. I see the 15th being signalled as their target date for destruction, hopefully I'm wrong. It's 555 days since Fukashima.

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
People have the right to share their prophetic dreams, and make predictions. If you have such a hard time with it, why waste time and cyber space arguing about it?

If you feel it's rotten fish (which I don't), and nothing is going to happen, then bully for you. Move along and post in a thread where you actually have something to add to the discussion. Sooo irritating and immature to have to wade through some of the sophomoric posts on this thread to get to those who actually want to contribute in a positive way.

What? Mentioning the "dead fish" theory is part of the discussion and should be added.

It would be a disservice to simply bloat a thread with comments that only support the original theory. It's unfortunate to see that in your mind contributing in a "positive way" simply means feeding into and echoing an idea.

edit on 2012.9.13 by TravisBickle451 because: formatting

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Dead fish smell 100 miles away, that smells like rotten eggs and not dead fish?

This is my not buying face>

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

lol people of your kind make me laugh so much. Absolutely don't give a damn about the issue here, all you care about is discrediting me for some star and a boost to your ego. Too bad for you i won't play that game of yours. I made sure to insert the words you are using against me not to be called a fail medium. I believe in science and made assumptions based of phenomena that happened before an other earthquake. Also, i have a a master in political science and a bachelor in common law so of course i am going to say that i do not know much about earthquake.

First off. This is my second post (first here), so let's cut the crap.

Believing in science is one thing, but your whole conversation has a very relativistic tone/quality to it. State your facts with clarity. Address your theories and assumptions in a concise fashion in a way people cannot misunderstand them.

Yes, he could have made his criticism in a better way, and maybe it was a little over the top, but I do not see it as an all out bash. You need to stop, sit back, take a breath and relax a bit.

Part Two: My take.

I learned about the initial swarm from here on ATS. Frankly I was amazed and a little bit worried; I still am. But one thing that is bothering me--tickling my radar as it were--sulfur can be poisonous. If people are smelling it from 200+ miles away, that would indicate ENORMOUS concentrations at the epicenter. In my opinion, if it was coming strictly from the Salton Sea, I don't think the area would be habitable.

That leads us to the obvious question: what if there are more areas of instability throughout the region? Could that turn out to be a large earthquake, or could it turn out to be an increase of smaller earthquakes on various faults? I actually think the latter. Could this be an indication of volcanic activity? Sure, but one must take into consideration that, in my opinion, California will probably see a few more magma flows, mud pots, etc.

Now, let's talk about mud pots for a moment. I searched '2012 increase in Salton Sea mud pots' and found 0 hits.
I searched 'Increase in Salton Sea mud pots in 2012' with the same result. I looked on the first and second of the 'web' section and the 'news' section. Neither brought up any sort of documentation that there is an increase. The news had one story: the fishy smell.

And an increase of geysers? I searched '2012 increase in Salton Sea geysers' and 'Increase in Salton Sea Geysers in 2012'. I found a whole bunch of articles detailing the smell, but once again I found nothing of scientific note that any increase has been noted or talked about. I, however, did find a link to this forum!

As for a government cover up? Not likely. If it was ever found that the government knew and did not try to evacuate the affected area that, or a future government, would be crucified on a level making Katrina look like one or two angry teenage protesters.

Let us not bring HAARP into this either. I will rip into you

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I know I shouldn't have eaten all those egg salad sandwiches before I went to disneyland. My bad

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by tigertatzen
Really?? Says who? You?

Science says so.

Shame on you for using pretentious condescension to try and discredit the OP, accusing him (?) of posting false information and clogging the thread with your pomposity and pettiness.

Why are you attacking my person for debating what someone has posted for...debate?
Why are you putting name-tags on me, instead of sticking to the topic?

I did not accuse him of posting false information. He did post false information by first telling that there is a big quake coming up, and then saying there isn't.

He stated that he is not an expert on earthquakes, not any form of a medium, not able to predict the future. He stated his opinion, and asked for feedback.

That is correct. And I gave him feedback.

Not for a self-appointed "editor" taking his post apart sentence by sentence. Then someone else decided it would be appropriate to give you a writing lesson...in the same thread ffs
Really guys??

I had no problems with the OP's writing, nor did I comment on it. So I don't know how that makes me an editor.
But yes, I did get a "lesson" on how my style might be a problem, and the points he/she made are valid.
What is the reason for you bringing that up? Could you please remain on the topic?

Your assertion that Timewave Zero has nothing to do with reality...do you have any facts to back that up?

Actually, science works like this:
If someone claims that there is an invisible unicorn on Jupiter, it is not up to science to prove it.
The person who claims it will have to use the scientific method to prove it for it to be science.
Time-wave zero fails here. Not only that, it is based on bizarre thing such as numerology.

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Now that the title is "A big earthquake MIGHT hit..", is this anything "new"?

Also, IF it happens, does it have anything at all to do with the smell? Did it matter? Or did the smell just appear because of all the small quakes (well, surely looks like it, as it smells right now), regardless of it is from dying organic material, or gases seeping out from below?
How often do people around the world experience the smell? How often does it appear without quakes?
How often is there a big quake while this smell is present?

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i am waiting

posted on Sep, 13 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You got any large dumps around those parts?. We have one where they dump freeze dried crushed animal carcasses and yes we got the pleasure of being the dumping ground during all the BSE and foot and mouth rollocks. All is well when it's dry but as soon as a hint of moisture gets to it it smells like the devils arse and permeates over a huge area.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join