It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biblical God - Why isn't credit being given where credit is due?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Firstly, I did a search and found older threads on deaths attributed to the Biblical god and also found a thread or two on dictators but couldn't find one on a side by side comparison. If I missed it, please close with my apologies. Also I hope this is in the right place, I figured since this area is for conspiracies and scandals in organized religion it should go here. I definitely find these numbers scandalous. If this is not in the right place, please move and accept my apologies as well.

Secondly, I believe everyone has the right to believe whatever they want. I'm not attacking religious freedom. I am not trying to attack Christianity in general. It's the view of a literal interpretation that has me scratching my head.

So let's look at some numbers.
Here we have the deaths attributed to a selection of worldly dictators:

1.1 million - Yakubu Gowon
400,000 – 1.5 million - Mengistu Haile Mariam
1.6 million - Kim Il-sung
1.7 million - Pol Pot
2.5 million - Ismail Enver Pasha
5 million - Hideki Tojo
2-15 million - Leopold II of Belgium
17 million - Adolf Hitler
23 million - Jozef Stalin
49-78 million - Mao Zedong

To see these stats alongside other info on these dictators : popten.net...

And now a conservative estimate for the biblical god, drum-roll please!
2,270,365+
www.godlessgeeks.com...

So if we don't take into account the killings committed in the name of god, god doesn't even get a top 5. But if you add those in, I'm sure he has a good chance for the silver.

So from a literal standpoint, Why isn't proper credit given to god on the pulpit?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Well, every religious war that has ever happened was obviously in the name of God, so this number would be running into the hundereds of millions. But if we want to get technical then God is responsable for every war, every death and so forth. So God has a Kill record next to none.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
Well, every religious war that has ever happened was obviously in the name of God, so this number would be running into the hundereds of millions. But if we want to get technical then God is responsable for every war, every death and so forth. So God has a Kill record next to none.

In other words, everyone is lame and stupid.

Every mortal who has killed for their own personal gain in the name of YHWH will go to hell. Fact.

The vast majority of people simply use religeon as an excuse to steal and kill.

This is what people cannot handle. Everyone will be held accountable for their actions on Judgement Day.
If a person has blood on their hands and didn't receive a direct order from YHWH to kill then they will never, ever ascend to Heaven.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Yes, very true. But my point is, using the dictators as a reference we see the scope of the biblical god's kills, if one takes the bible literally, if these killings are righteous and the will of the biblical god, why aren't they celebrated? Why don't sermons emphasize just how many people the literal biblical god has killed if it's A-Okay?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha

Originally posted by n00bUK

In other words, everyone is lame and stupid.

Every mortal who has killed for their own personal gain in the name of YHWH will go to hell. Fact.

The vast majority of people simply use religeon as an excuse to steal and kill.

This is what people cannot handle. Everyone will be held accountable for their actions on Judgement Day.
If a person has blood on their hands and didn't receive a direct order from YHWH to kill then they will never, ever ascend to Heaven.

ooo, hell sounds scray... YHWH gives orders to kill does he/she?
Wouldnt this contridict all in which he/she preaches?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
People can't lump all religions and especially individual churches into one pot and say that religion kills. Sure there were religious wars, but it wasn't god that caused the war. It was the perception of the people and leaders that caused the wars. Maybe religion was used as an excuse for these wars but god had nothing to do with them, it was all man. the only thing god does is to steer us. Overpopulation is not good for the earth and our continued survival. It is our instinct to fight when things get tight to control our future survival. There are other ways though and none of them involve a chosen race.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Man created religion..... Not God.

Man kills people, not God.

You are alive and typing ..... You have life....... God could have killed us all a long time ago!

If I don't understand something, I research the subject vigorously until I do.

If you don't understand then you could do as I do, or come up with your own method.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
IMO wars fought or people killed "in the name of God" is just another (though perhaps historically the most common) political tool/excuse that is used to acquire or maintain wealth and power.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

But your forgetting that all the deaths directly associated with. God, are back when there were only a few million people on earth.

Unlike the dictator sheet that was all mostly modern times, with billions.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

But I thought your God was merciful? That doesn't sound to merciful to me, especially since, animals kill animals everyday. Murder is just a part of nature. Man killing man, is no different.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

negative, red leader....

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Miri08

Yes but I'm not asking about god in general, I'm asking about the literal version of the biblical god. I know man created religion.... I'm asking if a person takes the bible literally and the bible says that god killed all these people (put aside people killed in gods name after the fact) why don't believers of a literal interpretation of the bible put emphasis on all of the times the bible says god killed? Why is the murderous side of the biblical version of god glossed over?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

My emphasis is not on wars waged in the name of god but on the killings the bible says god has committed and why, if a person takes the bible literally, those killings are not preached and praised if they are justified and righteous as particularly the OT would have us believe?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
and there's me thinking that Dr Harold Shipman was a bada$$

in all seriousness though, is it really fair to give the voices in murderous madmen's heads the same name and then blame said non-existent entity?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08

Originally posted by MamaJ
reply to post by Miri08

Yes but I'm not asking about god in general, I'm asking about the literal version of the biblical god. I know man created religion.... I'm asking if a person takes the bible literally and the bible says that god killed all these people (put aside people killed in gods name after the fact) why don't believers of a literal interpretation of the bible put emphasis on all of the times the bible says god killed? Why is the murderous side of the biblical version of god glossed over?

How many people though do you think really understand the Bible.

Lots of interpretations are based off another's, not real personal if you ask me.

What I've learned from the Bible is nothing I would learn at church. I learned everything by reading the Bible in a different light, the one Jesus told us about.

When I go to church they often demonize and pervert the scriptures. It's very telling as the roman empire continues to this day and many theologians don't even realize it!

For instance, Israel is a literal place but the Bible has the Word and each word has multi layers of truth, and so does the bible. In the instance for Israel, the other meaning is us. Israel represents gods children of all nations not just one. Who so ever seeks and understand the light of the word understands that Israel in and of itself is not the " chosen people". We are.

God didn't kill people though, man did and continues to do so in the name of God.

It all boils down to understanding the story of mankind represented in all expressions but especially in the Bible. It's important to understand who we are and where we are going.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
reply to post by rickymouse

My emphasis is not on wars waged in the name of god but on the killings the bible says god has committed and why, if a person takes the bible literally, those killings are not preached and praised if they are justified and righteous as particularly the OT would have us believe?

Back then the people understood God and the " story" to be a God that was vengeful, jealous, and all of that good stuff. Lol

People are evolving and the New Testament shows us this.

The end of the story is revelations. A revelation for Gods people is taking place.... Right now!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I'm not sure what you're getting at? I'm not blaming *god* for anything. I'm asking about the literal interpretation of the bible regarding the amount of people that god supposedly killed and how people that believe in a literal interpretation of the bible seem to gloss over the bibles record of said killings. I used the dictators as a reference to the scope of the killings that the bible attributes to god.

I probably could have left the statistics on the dictators out and still asked my question and maybe I should have as it seems to be becoming the main focus when it was meant as supplement to my case.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong and if that's the case I apologize.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by Rapha

But I thought your God was merciful? That doesn't sound to merciful to me, especially since, animals kill animals everyday. Murder is just a part of nature. Man killing man, is no different.

animals kill for food / survival

man often kills for greed. there is a distinct difference.

YHWH is always merciful.

here is some info i got from an seraph...

As for the demons who were sent into the swine... Yahushua always cast rebellious spirits out of people. It's just the right thing to do.

The nephilim spirits have an appointed day of judgment occurring at the end of the ages...we all do in fact. The only difference is that nephilim do not receive a current age judgement upon their death as humans do.

Lost humans might be in denial about where their final fate is headed but lost nephilim don't have the luxury of denial. They know YHWH is real...they know His judgements are as well.

All lost creatures will perish...but no saved creature will.

Yahushua actually showed the demons mercy.

They begged Him to be sent into the swine. He could have, in His authority, sent them to the abyss...but he granted their request. There's no really good reason for that if He is without mercy for them. He knew their appointed time was not yet and that there was still an opportunity for repentance.

One might ask why He did not preach the gospel to them...because the demons who were exposed to His earthly ministry were eye witnesses to His message all along. He was preaching the gospel to every ear that would hear.

What creature most needs to become a "new creature" in Him than one which was not ordained by Him.

All beings reconciled to Him will become clean creatures.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yes but their are still people who take the bible, including the old testament very literally. Do they take the bible literally only when it's convenient? Is the bible taken literally only when it serves the readers purpose?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

i was kinda supporting your point in an jokey/obtuse manner, while inappropriately referring to one of britain's highest scoring serial killers. as you point out, it's not like "god" did it, more various eejit's interpretations of the bible etc, which is of course rather bloodthirsty and merciless in parts of the OT.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join