It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Biblical God - Why isn't credit being given where credit is due?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I understand now lol.
I'm going through a bout of insomnia, haven't slept yet and not exactly sharp at the moment, again, I apologize.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

You're forgetting that belief in the bible is completely irrational and illogical. People who believe that its true will go to any lengths to continually convince themselves that they can explain away how irrational it really is. Of course they will conveniently point out the fact that man kills people, not god, when the bulk of the Old Testament is nothing more than yhwh telling "his people" to totally and completely destroy/wipeout everyone he doesn't like...oh, and by the way, he even does the same thing to his own people when they screw up. They love pointing to the New Testament and saying that their god is so merciful and blah, blah, because he murdered his "own son" in order to make up for broken rules that he came up with in the first place. It's as if these sacrificial needs for atonement are some sort of universal truth and not the result of some dictator war god that decided he likes to see things bleed and suffer. You've asked a rhetorical question, my friend, that you already know the answer to and you'll never get a good answer from a believer because they don't have any answers that don't make them feel warm and fuzzy inside.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

So you don't like the traditional Jewish history stories about their relationship to their God?

Who cares, and what's your point? Are you an anti-Semite?

The state of reality is what it is, and I find it highly offensive that you would diminish the significance of the dictatorial deaths of millions of human beings in the past 100 years in order to make some lame point against Judaism.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Two points I would make.

Firstly, Adolf Hitler was a Roman Catholic plain out. This is evidenced by his actions, the uniforms of the soldiers and the interaction with the vatican.

Secondly, sure, if you take all of the numbers of killings in the name of religion/against religion, it certainly looks grim for those in support of the anti-religious. I think it is important, however, to keep in mind populations. 2,000,000 people a few thousand years ago could be the equivalent of 10,000,000 now. (not a direct proportion, just for explanation sake) This is not to defend the killings, but I think, if we look at it proportionally, the killings of the religious, in that time with the number of population we had, and compare it to more modern examples, where our population has grown tremendously.

To better explain, think of it in terms of population. 2,000,000 back 3,000 years ago could have been 10% of the worlds popualtion, whereas 2,000,000 today might only be .5% Again, not exact math, just using numbers to explain my point, as confusing as it might be.
edit on 11-9-2012 by Daemonicon because: edit for clarity

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I have nothing against Christians or against Judaism in general. I'm asking how people reconcile a literal reading of the bible when it comes to the point of gods direct killings because I genuinely want to know. It just really seems that the portions of the bible that reads of god killing people is completely glossed over. I said in a post earlier that I see the folly now of including the statistics on dictators. I was using it for scope and scope alone. I even prefaced my entire post by saying that I support religious freedom. If someone wants to take the bible literally that's fine, I'm trying to understand the mindset of those people when it comes to god killing people and that's all.

relax a bit and have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Miri08

Its funny you keep asking that question and every religious person is dodging it, i think only 1 person kinda answered.

Religion is all about sugar coating to attracted the feeble. Its imprinted in their mind that gods killing is justified.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08

I have nothing against Christians or against Judaism in general.

You very clearly have something against Christians and Jews, or you would not make such a pointless comparison. You want to compare the God of the Jews to Hitler? Do you have the slightest notion of how incredibly insensitive that is?

I'm trying to understand the mindset of those people when it comes to god killing people and that's all.

Then I would suggest that you find an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi and ask him. I'm sure that he will be happy to help you "understand his mindset."
edit on 11-9-2012 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I do not have anything against Christians or Jewish people in general.... I will not continue to debate what is in MY heart with you, this is the last time I will make a reply to this.

I am only interested in how literal readings of the bible and what the bible says on god killings correlate. I can not make this any plainer.

I have stated that I see the folly of including the statistics on dictators as a way to measure scope. I was purely using the numbers as a point of reference and I do apologize at what came across as insensitivity on my part. This is the last time I will reply to this as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I am only interested in how literal readings of the bible and what the bible says on god killings correlate. I can not make this any plainer.

And I will again suggest that you find an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi and ask him. If you truly have no axe to grind and only want information, there would be no better source than a Judaic scholar, no?

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

How many people though do you think really understand the Bible.

Lots of interpretations are based off another's, not real personal if you ask me.

What I've learned from the Bible is nothing I would learn at church. I learned everything by reading the Bible in a different light, the one Jesus told us about.

When I go to church they often demonize and pervert the scriptures. It's very telling as the roman empire continues to this day and many theologians don't even realize it!

For instance, Israel is a literal place but the Bible has the Word and each word has multi layers of truth, and so does the bible. In the instance for Israel, the other meaning is us. Israel represents gods children of all nations not just one. Who so ever seeks and understand the light of the word understands that Israel in and of itself is not the " chosen people". We are.

God didn't kill people though, man did and continues to do so in the name of God.

It all boils down to understanding the story of mankind represented in all expressions but especially in the Bible. It's important to understand who we are and where we are going.

Sorry I'm just now seeing this!
This makes some sense to me, thank you.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Yes, I see how it could be helpful and I will look into it. I know there is a synagogue near where I live but I'm not sure if it's orthodox or not. I think especially since the bulk of my misunderstandings are coming from the OT that is probably the best way to go.

Starring your post for our tenuous civility lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The "god" in the bible was a Anunnaki. Period. His original name was En.Lil. He was a Elohim of a certain nation/state. NOT the almighty,omnipresent, creator. The "snake" in the Garden of E.din was his brother Ea/En.ki. He was the Creator of early thinking man. A female Anunnaki named Nin.hur.sag (she of the mountains) helped Ea craft the first Adamu. By mixing there genes with a being that already existed in southeastern Africa, we were skillfully crafted. The Bible cannot be understood without knowldge of the Sumerians and there Els. The biggest confusion about the Bible is who is Yahweh. It's not who you've been taught.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Oannes

I just looked up some of the words in your post and there is a lot of info to read and I will look into it. I've never read up on this so thank you for bringing it up

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

reply to post by n00bUK

Yes, very true. But my point is, using the dictators as a reference we see the scope of the biblical god's kills, if one takes the bible literally, if these killings are righteous and the will of the biblical god, why aren't they celebrated? Why don't sermons emphasize just how many people the literal biblical god has killed if it's A-Okay?

That's pathetic, and disingenuous.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Firstly, I did a search and found older threads on deaths attributed to the Biblical god and also found a thread or two on dictators but couldn't find one on a side by side comparison.
***snip***

Perhaps your research should have included the bible itself.

***snip***

And now a conservative estimate for the biblical god, drum-roll please!
2,270,365+
So if we don't take into account the killings committed in the name of god, god doesn't even get a top 5. But if you add those in, I'm sure he has a good chance for the silver.

So from a literal standpoint, Why isn't proper credit given to god on the pulpit?

Are you deliberately playing with the numbers?

Sodom and Gomorra
The Great Flood
Every first born in Egypt
Egyptian army
Aradites
"Davids plague"
Ethiopians

To name a few (?)

how about this conservative estimate? How many did God kill
edit on 11-9-2012 by HolgerTheDane2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Rapha

If a person has blood on their hands and didn't receive a direct order from YHWH to kill then they will never, ever ascend to Heaven.

I just wake up and this is what i hear. Someone proclaiming that those who murder people with the blessing of some imaginary child murdering rapist get a free ticket to paradise.

People who speak words like this deserve torture. To utter these words make me draw up plans of a hell for them to go to.

Knowing people like this exist keeps me up at night. The day i get to see the faith drain from their eyes and watch them wither up and blow away like the trash they are will be the greatest gift i could ever recieve.

edit on 11-9-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by Miri08

But your forgetting that all the deaths directly associated with. God, are back when there were only a few million people on earth.

Unlike the dictator sheet that was all mostly modern times, with billions.

Yeah but you don't understand. Ya see, god was only a perfect god back in the Old Testament, so he killed a few million people. In the New Testament, however, he became a new and improved perfect god! Yay!

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Man created religion..... Not God.

"God" created the rules and doctrines on which religion is based. Or are you saying that was invented by man too?

Man kills people, not God.

To know everything and be able to do anything, yet do nothing, is the same as saying, "I approve of this. Carry on." To stand by and watch a man shoot another man when you not only could have stopped him, but GAVE him the ability to commit that murder, you are equally responsible in the court of law.

Why should "God" be any different?

How many people though do you think really understand the Bible.

"God", who supposedly inspired the Bible, could have made it clearer at any point. Omnipotent, remember? Again, all fault in that is his own.

God didn't kill people though, man did and continues to do so in the name of God.

What is so hard to understand about being responsible for your own creation? Have you never scolded a child because he let his sister or brother do something stupid? Or because they ENCOURAGED their friend to do something stupid? It's known as complicity...especially when you're omnipotent, omniscient, AND omnipresent.

People are evolving and the New Testament shows us this.

I think it's about time for an 'Extended Testament' then, yes? We need a new religion. Of course, we were supposed to be made in "God's image", right? So what are we becoming now? Supergod?

edit on 11-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Whose fault is it that death came into the world?

People disobeyed God, which brought death into the world.

Who tricked people into disobeying God? Satan...

Satan brought death into the world.

The Illuminazi terrorists have used lies and propaganda to cause the world to believe that God is the cause of wars and death. In reality THEY are the ones are the ones behind the scenes manipulating ALL world events.

They are ALSO the creators of ALL the false religions which they use to blame it all on.

Nobody has died because of religion. When people "kill in the name of religion," they're actually going against what religion teaches.

A man could claim to be killing in the name of Mickey Mouse -- but that is a bad reflection on the man, not on Mickey Mouse.

Atheist Communist regimes, meanwhile, have killed over 100 million of their own people (and that's a conservative number) in just the last 100 years.

They didn't do it in the name of atheism, precisely, but their killing is not going against what atheism teaches. Because atheism, in essence, teaches nothing. Whenever atheism has been installed as the Official State Religion, the state in question has always given itself permission to do unspeakable things. Always.

When God is not, as Dostoyevsky wrote, anything is permitted.

Link

"...secular ideologies were responsible for the murder of 100 million innocent people during the last century." Source

Atheists kill people in such vastly greater numbers than any religion EVER Source

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Who tricked people into disobeying God? Satan...

Satan brought death into the world.

I disagree with that. See, we can blame everything we want on everything else, but what it really comes down to is...

WE TRICKED OURSELVES. In the story, Eve was greedy enough that she stole the fruit (the ability to judge) and Adam was greedy enough to want to share it with her. Greed did it for us. We convinced ourselves. If there wasn't some degree of desire there, OF OUR OWN ACCORD, they would never have done it.

Time to man up and accept it, people. We screwed ourselves over...metaphorically, of course.
edit on 11-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join