It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern - Mitt Romney

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
I have an idea. Shut your mouth? If you dropped out of highschool and the job hires you without asking for your education history, would you run and tell your boss that you dropped out? No because it's stupidity.

You premise fails where education ..."Highschool"...is relevant to the job....whether you love men or women is not.

If you don't want to deal with it then shut your mouth. It is not your right nor your duty as a gay American to change our minds.

What makes you think that any gay American thinks it is thier "right" or "duty" to change someone's mind?

It is thier "right" not be forced to hide who they are. It is thier "right" not to be discriminated against. It is thier "right" to be open about who they love....and IMO it is the duty of every American to ensure the constitutional rights of our fellow citizens are recognized...lest we be considered "different" by our government one day.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

It is legal to be racist in America.

You know what else is legal? To call a bigot a hypocrite jackass and call him out on his wussy back peddling.

You cite "freedom of speech" then get mad when people complain about that speech? Jeeze.

It goes beyond freedom of speech when they are writing "hate-crime" laws that border on censorship and outright absurdity...It's also not equal as it states that one victim is more important than the others. If a man gets assaulted its a crime but if a man gets assaulted and is gay is a SUPERCRIME?? How the hell is that equal? its not....

as pretty much everything that can be a crime is and has already been a crime for a long time...but hey lets write new laws that make us "special"?

If all people did was complain I don't think there would be an issue...its when they take that complaint to the legal system or lobby for laws that cross the line of freedom of speech and enter the realm of violating someone else rights that it becomes an issue....

Freedom of speech should have social consequences but NOT legal ones...if the mass of people don't like what you have to say, your consequence should be having to deal with having a opposing opinion as your peers...They may just not like you and socially this is ok...involve the law and make it illegal to have an opposing opinion is where you start having issues.

The social world will deal with bigots like they always have...they will outcast them into exile to be ostracized like the KKK or any other group that has been deemed socially intolerable...no need for laws, no need to involve the government...just use your rights...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

If we are to achieve the goals we share, we must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern.

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

He also says, “I am more convinced now than ever before that as we seek to establish full equality for America’s gays and lesbians, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent."

Another one of the many issues on which he has flip-flopped...
edit on 7-9-2012 by longlostbrother because: (no reason given)

Mitt Romney has always been in support of equality for gays and lesbians, just not gay marriage, because he feels that marriages are part of the church - meanwhile gays can get the same benefits as marriage through civil unions.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
meanwhile gays can get the same benefits as marriage through civil unions.

Bull#.

It would cost my partner and I $3600 to have all the protections that you heteros have for free. And we ARE married in our state.
We went to a lawyer and that's what the bottom line would cost to have all your protections which are AUTOMATIC to you!!!!!!! How is THAT equal?

Don't get fooled people. We DO NOT have the same benefits as a straight married couple even when we get married in our states as the federal government is still against it.

Try doing your taxes four times as I have to. One stating I'm single for the fed and one stating I'm married. One stating I'm single for the State and one saying I'm married for the State. You can't do the maths without having to do 4 seperate tax returns even when you only turn in 2 of them. How is THAT equal?
edit on 7-9-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

If we are to achieve the goals we share, we must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern.

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

He also says, “I am more convinced now than ever before that as we seek to establish full equality for America’s gays and lesbians, I will provide more effective leadership than my opponent."

Soooo...... If Mitt Romney isn't out making a very special point of catering to the LGBT community, he's a hateful bigot that shows the typical right wing hate everyone says we're guilty of anyway.

If Mitt Romney shows some interest and compassion to the issue and indicates a willingness to address what has become a major point for people around the nation, he's a flip flopper. By the way, this is the man Ted Kennedy allowed to be Gov. of his state. ....and lets not play like Kennedy didn't run Mass. Of course he did.

Tell me... Is there *ANY* winning for a Republican among some people? It seems here he's a hateful troll or a liar with 0 room given for him to be anything else. ...and some wonder why tolerance that once existed on some issues is flat out vanishing. The lack of tolerance here isn't from Mitt...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wait-wait-wait.

I see what you are saying....but the truth is...Robo-Romney IS a flip-flopper...He will say anything...just depends on the current audience. He doesn't care about us...he only cares about his wealth driven "divine providence" he feels entitles him to rule....note I said rule, not lead...big difference.

He is the poster child for what George has to say here...

As a Libertarian, I could give a "F" less what people do...but lets be clear here...some folks have principles and some do not...some folks choose to "stand" for something and "some men are like water...they follow the path of least resistance...so you end up with crooked rivers and crooked men"...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

Well, first..I find it ridiculous that you bring a stand up comedian in as your best example to a point against a U.S. Presidential Candidate. I personally liked George Carlin and consider him among the true greats in his field. I've also NEVER heard anything from him in life that would suggest HE would see Obama OR Romney as anything more than turds in the same septic tank. Bad example.... He pretty much hated BOTH sides..as most here do.

Second and far more importantly though.. If I stood up and said "Obama is a flip flopper!!" I'd have a dozen people on me before you could finish reading the thread (and rightfully so), demanding proof and implying I'm either ignorant...hateful..or both for saying such a thing AND NOT offering more than my own pure opinion to support it.

Surely, then, that standard of support to political charges ought to carry both ways, right? You'd have specific examples for where Mitt stood one way on a public position and then stood in a completely different position later, right? I mean..without proof...it's just rhetoric, right? I have plenty against the sitting President on this topic...but this isn't the topic about Barry... So I'll let you support your allegations against Romney.

edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

reply to post by longlostbrother

Explain to me how it is Government that needs to dictate to people what they should do on a religous matter? As you've said, this is a STATE issue. You are basically calling for Government to restrict state rights so that homosexuals can partake in a religious ceremony. I have news for you, the states were set up to be as different as England is to China. If you don't like state laws, be a grown up and move to another state. At the very least attempt to tackle the issue locally instead of bowing down to a corporate puppet to dictate your beliefs onto the entire country.

One of your links is dead. The others involve hate CRIMES which I never said that I agreed with. Hate and hate crime are 2 different things.
edit on 7-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

So, first you scream about it not being any business of the government and how this is a complete non-issue, and now that it's been proven to you that it IS an issue when it comes to BASIC EQUALITY you change your mind and kind of try to ignore what you wrote in your preceding posts?

Lets face it, you mouthed off about something you clearly know very little about, and I suspect I know why, but I'll choose not to say it.

At least it makes a nice change from all our right-wing crazies who don't even bother to hide their homophobia.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Be serious. I am not even going to waste the time to dig out a multitude of videos to prove the position changes of Romney. It's everywhere. Either open your eyes and see the truth or don't...I don't care. I "see" the spinelessness...sorry for you that your are blinded by "hope" and refuse to see a "player" for what he is.

I don't like Obama either...so don't even put that name into a rebuttal to me...it is meaningless and just uses up server space to squawk something that has absolutely no effect on me.

Romney is a turd...so is Obama...and George was being a comedian...but a damn prophetic one...if you do not see the irony in his "humor" from years ago and the current state of affairs...by all means...continue to "hope"...

old saying here..."you can hope in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first"

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

Soooo...... If Mitt Romney isn't out making a very special point of catering to the LGBT community, he's a hateful bigot that shows the typical right wing hate everyone says we're guilty of anyway.

Oh, I wish it were as easy as just deleting all the BS he's spouted on gay issues before, but it isn't. The fact of the matter is he could dress in skin tight Lycra and dance his way through a gay pride parade and I would STILL remember that he is a right-wing religious fanatic, and that he's a politician - a species known to spout whatever BS pops into his hollow little head depending on who he's talking to.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

The thing is... I'm still not seeing "all that anti-gay stuff" he's supposedly put out there. In fact, I've seen nothing ...nothing at all....from Mitt Romney PERSONALLY that is hateful toward Gays in any way, at all.

Not Paul Ryan.... Not Mitt's staffers over the years... Not Mitt's assistant to his secretary at Bain at some distant past date. Him, personally, and by his OWN hand or words spoken.

If anyone has something from Mitt, personally, and his own words.......that is one, flip flopping on this issue..OR better, IS actually outright hateful toward the LGBT community, it'll make the first I've seen. Literally, the first.

Now....from a thread I did a long time ago, I DO have plenty he HAS DONE for the LGBT community and going clear back to the days he and Ted Kennedy DID stand together at least once on this issue. Was it politically driven? Of course...what isn't?? No one is debating motive though. The debate seems to be the fact anything happened, good or bad, in the first place.

It's not how much we dislike the Candidates that gets so old.... I get it. Some people here hate Romney so strong, they vibrate with it. I really DO get it. I HATE Obama just as passionately and to the very core of my being. So...relating isn't the problem. Proof beyond political OPINION..seems to be an enormous problem here lately..and I suppose I'll go without EVER seeing proof of ANYTHING claimed on Romney being hateful toward gay men or women himself...since even asking for it brings immediate and hard attention....for the mere question.

OH......and if Mitt is SOOOOO terribly hateful..are we saying the people of Mass are that hateful to have elected him, that outright stupid to have not known it...or just a combination of both?? It's not like Mitt just 'appeared' with no background...unlike some folks.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I believe that Romney has made those statements right now to get the gay votes. I also believe that he is really not in favor nor does he approve of gay people; again he just wants their votes.

I also think that many gay people see right through his lies.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I believe that Romney has made those statements right now to get the gay votes. I also believe that he is really not in favor nor does he approve of gay people; again he just wants their votes.

I also think that many gay people see right through his lies.

He made the statements in 1994.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by detachedindividual

The thing is... I'm still not seeing "all that anti-gay stuff" he's supposedly put out there. In fact, I've seen nothing ...nothing at all....from Mitt Romney PERSONALLY that is hateful toward Gays in any way, at all.

Not Paul Ryan.... Not Mitt's staffers over the years... Not Mitt's assistant to his secretary at Bain at some distant past date. Him, personally, and by his OWN hand or words spoken.

If anyone has something from Mitt, personally, and his own words.......that is one, flip flopping on this issue..OR better, IS actually outright hateful toward the LGBT community, it'll make the first I've seen. Literally, the first.

Now....from a thread I did a long time ago, I DO have plenty he HAS DONE for the LGBT community and going clear back to the days he and Ted Kennedy DID stand together at least once on this issue. Was it politically driven? Of course...what isn't?? No one is debating motive though. The debate seems to be the fact anything happened, good or bad, in the first place.

It's not how much we dislike the Candidates that gets so old.... I get it. Some people here hate Romney so strong, they vibrate with it. I really DO get it. I HATE Obama just as passionately and to the very core of my being. So...relating isn't the problem. Proof beyond political OPINION..seems to be an enormous problem here lately..and I suppose I'll go without EVER seeing proof of ANYTHING claimed on Romney being hateful toward gay men or women himself...since even asking for it brings immediate and hard attention....for the mere question.

OH......and if Mitt is SOOOOO terribly hateful..are we saying the people of Mass are that hateful to have elected him, that outright stupid to have not known it...or just a combination of both?? It's not like Mitt just 'appeared' with no background...unlike some folks.

He's flip flopped on the issue of gay equality (and many, many others). It may not make me hate him, but it makes me think he's a political opportunist with no actual beliefs at all.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

You're right, he hasn't been 'hateful' toward gays, just unconstitutional, some might call that hateful and personally I feel that those people would be correct. It certainly isn't coming from a place of love to deny any American the same Rights and benefits as all other Americans.

The argument that civil unions carry the same weight as marriage is a myth spun to appease personal guilt and religious delusion. Not one American should be able to sleep worry free until the day Adam and Steve can say "I do" and have it mean the same thing as when Adam and Eve say it.

Disallowing 1 American equal access to anything in this country, is 100% un-american.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I believe in 1994 he was still not telling the truth. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

First of all I didn't know people were not allowed to changer their opinion on certain subjects.

Second, Obama didn't support the issue up until 2 or 3 months ago.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

I believe in 1994 he was still not telling the truth.That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

We agree.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabalis

-Mitt Romney

www.boston.com...

First of all I didn't know people were not allowed to changer their opinion on certain subjects.

Second, Obama didn't support the issue up until 2 or 3 months ago.

If you change you opinion on dozens of things, and all of those changed opinions somehow mesh with what's politically popular, you deserve to be called a flip-flopper.

How can ANYONE trust you if you can't maintain an opinion?

Would you like a list of all the opinions he's changed?

Here's one:

'Roe v. Wade has gone too far.'

vs.

'I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.'

Here's another:

'I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.'

vs.

'There's no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.'

How about:

'I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.'

vs

'I did not see it with my own eyes.'

Or:

'I will work and fight for stem cell research.'

vs.

'In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise.'

Maybe this one:

'I respect and will protect a woman's right to choose.'

vs.

'I never really called myself pro-choice.'

There's dozens... he's a liar. I lived in MA when he was Governor, and he lied through his teeth then. His campaign is known for being dishonest now.

Serial liars can't stop themselves.

How about all of these:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

If you change you opinion on dozens of things, and all of those changed opinions somehow mesh with what's politically popular, you deserve to be called a flip-flopper.

How can ANYONE trust you if you can't maintain an opinion?

You must have an extreme man-crush on Romney to search all of that out. You do realize Obama flip-flops on issues too, right? How come you never attack him if you aren't "a big Obama fan". Sorry if I can't be bothered to post quotes and links though since I'm actually pretty busy at work.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join