It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern - Mitt Romney

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
HOLY FLIP-FLOP, BATMAN!

At least he is consistent in his inconsistency.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by TrueBlood
I'm done with the endless circle jerk of stars and pats on the back. You guys want to sit here and agree with each other and collectivelly gang up on and attack anyone that doesn't agree with you, have at it. Keep acting like a child demanding free hand outs. I wash my hands of this garbage.

Free handouts. I guess if you like to call equal rights hand outs...

Cuervo, I don't think TrueBlood as any idea what your argument is. For whatever reason, she or he either doesn't comprehend the civil benefits of marriage that gay people can't get, or is just being derisive.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I was into you and truebloods debate, but you did not have to use this meme...that made you seem really immature my friend

Le' Gasp!

Anyways gay,not-gay,alien,woman,black,white,etc,etc,etc

we are all united, and yet slowly being torn apart by big brother..

I sometimes wish we could pick the era we wanted to live in...because 21st century would not have been my choice.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Soooo...... If Mitt Romney isn't out making a very special point of catering to the LGBT community, he's a hateful bigot that shows the typical right wing hate everyone says we're guilty of anyway.

No...then he is saying the right things for the wrong reasons. Pandering and lying through his teeth for votes, just like he is now after a complete and utter about face...on nearly every issue.

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Tell me... Is there *ANY* winning for a Republican among some people? It seems here he's a hateful troll or a liar with 0 room given for him to be anything else. ...

There is room for him to be something else...but he has yet to be anything else. He could be honest? Or at least principled enough to be consistent on issues, rather than flip-flopping from one extreme to the other in a desperate pursuit of power..

As it stands, the kindest thing that can be said about him is what his campaign manager said....he is an "etch-n-sketch"...whatever he needs to be to win the election.

American voters are forgiving enough to vote for a candidate even if they don't agree with everything that candidate says...but they don't vote for candidates that trade spine or principles for greed and ambition.

They require a modicum of honesty and resolution.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I want to ask you something, now this is not my belief so dont attack me for this.

Say you have a tradition in your great community, and it has been this way for 100s of years, but suddenly out of the blue a select few people demand that this tradition is changed because they do not benefit from it.. Now you understand how sacred this is for you and others..so would you change what has been considered right and proper for 100s of years, to satisfy the needs of these few and perhaps angering others at the same time? Or would you keep everything the way it has always been? Sure its unfair, but it would also be unfair for others who hold dearly great beliefs in the tradition.

anyways I have no say in this whole gay debate..I could care less about these silly worries...

wel actually I want to know why anyone is okay with labeling themselves....LGBT community?
screw that we are all a community, these people are just furthering dividing everyone, instead of joining us together
edit on 7-9-2012 by SolarIce because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarIce
Now you understand how sacred this is for you and others..so would you change what has been considered right and proper for 100s of years, to satisfy the needs of these few and perhaps angering others at the same time?

First off...history is no measure of what is considered "right and proper"...Slavery amongst countless other injustices was considered "right and proper" for 100s of years...

Secondly..."The needs of the few" vs. "angering others"..

The term "minority rights" embodies two separate concepts: first, normal individual rights as applied to members of racial, ethnic, class, religious, linguistic or sexual minorities, and second, collective rights accorded to minority groups. The term may also apply simply to individual rights of anyone who is not part of a majority decision.

Wiki

Majority rule means a numerical majority of the voting populace holds the power to make decisions binding on everyone. Minority rights are rights guaranteed to minorities that cannot be removed or modified, even by a vote of the majority.

Wiki

In short...we protect the rights of minorities because the majority (and the rights of the majority) is the sum of those minorities.

We all have qualities that fall into a minority.

For the majority, ensuring the minority's rights becomes a matter of self-interest, since it must utilize the same rights when it is in minority.

That is the nature of democracy...majority rule...minority rights of equality are protected. Absent those protections majority rule becomes tyranny and everyone suffers.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5
[m

Umm..well it wasnt directed at you, and you made no attempts to at least answer the question....

I wasnt using history to say whats right or wrong, I was saying that the event has been taking place for 100s of years, I wanted to know what actions he would of taken if people demanded he changed something him and others have always done...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hmmm.. Well.. Sans sources, I guess I'm not into the general and meandering debate over what we all swear we heard or remember as I used to be. One video ...That helps... Except that the video example is of Lobbyists and WOW...if there is one topic the Obama camp would be real well advised to NOT bring up, it would be promises made of Lobbyists not having influence in the White House.

Pot Meet Kettle on that one...and then some.

Far as quotes...from who knows where exactly.. Okay. So, we have things he might have said. Is there a politician alive who has risen above city council that doesn't say things differently and somethings...contradicting..depending on Audience?

This is where...'Links to cite source' or it's pure personal opinion comes in. Without context of both quotes on a "Flip Flop" charge, the whole notion of flip flop vs. SOP for every politician in the business becomes a matter of the opinion of the reader.

Now, Thank GOD it's not like this on every topic here. Who could have any fun on a site like ATS? On Politics for the last stretch of the election though? *BOTH* sides are outright fabricating meaning and/or implications so often at this point, opinions really are what it comes down to.

I'll always be happy to join in for debates on Romney or Obama that are running along factual, linked and cited issues tho. This isn't the first time a request for support to assertions against either candidate has simply been met with ridicule though. Sad....and how our politics have gotten to such a bad spot.

I'll never get any cited, sourced and proper examples of Mitt Flip Flopping..Personally..from his own hand or mouth..on the Gay issue though. Again...not the first time asking and still waiting.
edit on 7-9-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

reply to post by Indigo5

Umm..well it wasnt directed at you,

And that why this is a "forum" if you'd like to not engage in community discussion then perhaps use private messaging?

and you made no attempts to at least answer the question....

Just re-read your question...I answered it directly.

I wasnt using history to say whats right or wrong,

Never said you did. You said "considered right and proper for 100's of years"...I pointe dout the falsity of that premise.

I was saying that the event has been taking place for 100s of years, I wanted to know what actions he would of taken if people demanded he changed something him and others have always done...

Sorry...that doesn't make sense??? ...What actions would Mitt Romney have taken if people demanded he change something that he has always done?

Please clarify..

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

I'm sorry you dont understand what you're attempting to break down using silly quotes on quotes...
Maybe you shoulda saved yourself the trouble of not replying to my post? Seeing as how you dont even understand where I was coming from.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Actually that looks like fun..here Im gonna try...

And that why this is a "forum" if you'd like to not engage in community discussion then perhaps use private messaging?

um no sir I asked a member about a question, anyone is able to reply to my question, but you better damn well respect me and my question

Just re-read your question...I answered it directly.

Yeah once again nope, you never once gave me YOUR thoughts on what you would do.

First off...history is no measure of what is considered "right and proper"...Slavery amongst countless other injustices was considered "right and proper" for 100s of years...

I never said History was a good source of whats right and proper....

Sorry...that doesn't make sense??? ...What actions would Mitt Romney have taken if people demanded he change something that he has always done?

And again I was ASKING the person who the question was directed at what they would do..not Mitt or Obama or any of these silly puppets..

So yeah it was fun doing this quote on quote, but it was also very pointless...

anyways if you arent going to answer my question, you can always well you know just not reply...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

um no sir I asked a member about a question, anyone is able to reply to my question, but you better damn well respect me and my question

Now you just sound like a drunk at a bar..

This is your question...

I was saying that the event has been taking place for 100s of years, I wanted to know what actions he would of taken if people demanded he changed something him and others have always done...

Define the vague "event" "actions" 'something"...otherwise your question is pointless nonsense in my opinion.

But seeing as I have yet to get you to articulate what your point is...I will leave you to wait for your answer...good luck on that.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Define the vague "event" "actions" 'something"...otherwise your question is pointless nonsense in my opinion.
reply to post by Indigo5

Well if its pointless than stop replying....

lol a drunk at a bar...haha you kids these days

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

And marriage isn't a religious institution...the government gives out marriage licenses, it is law. Tons of people get married in courthouses by a judge.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I find gay people to be immoral and disgusting. There, I said it. That's my opinion and right to think that way. Now attack me for voicing my opinion. I won't change my opinion so people on here will like me and agree.

I never always felt this way until I saw a few gay parades. My opinion is, gay parades are not about equal rights but more about "I'm here, I'm gay and i'm shoving it in your face so that you'll change your mind."

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SepticSheepHerder
"I'm here, I'm gay and i'm shoving it in your face so that you'll change your mind."

Ah Yes!

No longer the silent minority.

Sucks for you.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I find gay people to be immoral and disgusting. There, I said it. That's my opinion and right to think that way. Now attack me for voicing my opinion. I won't change my opinion so people on here will like me and agree.

I never always felt this way until I saw a few gay parades. My opinion is, gay parades are not about equal rights but more about "I'm here, I'm gay and i'm shoving it in your face so that you'll change your mind."

I find you to be a simple minded bigot. There, I said it. That's my opinion and right to think that way. Now attack me for voicing my opinion. I won't change my opinion so people on here will like me and agree.

I never always felt this way until I read your post. My opinion is, your comments are not about gay people but more about "I'm a close minded homophobe who is threatened by gay people."

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

"I'm here, I'm gay and i'm shoving it in your face so that you'll change your mind."

Ah Yes!

Sucks for you.

I may be in the minority on this site, but not in America.

Besides, am I supposed to be scared in not part of the majority? Oh no! I'm shaking in my boots just thinking about it.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Ah Yes!

Sucks for you.

I may be in the minority on this site, but not in America.

Besides, am I supposed to be scared in not part of the majority? Oh no! I'm shaking in my boots just thinking about it.

A June 6 CNN/ORC International poll showed that a majority of Americans support same-sex marriage being legalized at 54%, while 42% are opposed.

en.wikipedia.org...

You're the minority,

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by longlostbrother

I find you to be a simple minded bigot. There, I said it. That's my opinion and right to think that way. Now attack me for voicing my opinion. I won't change my opinion so people on here will like me and agree.

I never always felt this way until I read your post. My opinion is, your comments are not about gay people but more about "I'm a close minded homophobe who is threatened by gay people."

Oh right, anyone who is against gay marriage is a homophobe. Do you realize how rare that phobia actually is?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join