It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We must make equality for gays and lesbians a mainstream concern - Mitt Romney

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I'm done with the endless circle jerk of stars and pats on the back. You guys want to sit here and agree with each other and collectivelly gang up on and attack anyone that doesn't agree with you, have at it. Keep acting like a child demanding free hand outs. I wash my hands of this garbage.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
Does a politian Marry you or is it a priest?

Married people have certain rights that unmarried people have. If you are in a 'marriage' that is unrecognized by the government, then you do not have those rights. So even though a priest or pastor or guru or rabbi or whatever 'marry' people .. the government is the one passing out the 'rights of family members'. This includes (but isnt' limited to) insurance benefits and visiting rights in hospitals and end of life decision making rights.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Cuervo
Nobody should get "special treatment".

No one should get special treatment based on gender, skin color, sexual orientation ... Definately.
But marriage equality isn't special treatment .. it's being treated like everyone else.

I know... I was mocking somebody else there. Everybody should be able to get married.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

I'm done with the endless circle jerk of stars and pats on the back. You guys want to sit here and agree with each other and collectivelly gang up on and attack anyone that doesn't agree with you, have at it. Keep acting like a child demanding free hand outs. I wash my hands of this garbage.

Free handouts. I guess if you like to call equal rights hand outs...

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Lol what handouts? What the hell are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

Lol what handouts? What the hell are you talking about?

Exactly.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

reply to post by longlostbrother

It is not the Government's job to protect your rights. It is your job to protect your rights. The Government is going to continue to take them away. This is the entire thought process of Jefferson. These rights are not given to you by Government nor are they guranteed. You defend them and even then you still may lose them. Casting a vote doesn't gurantee your rights. If you have an issue you use the rights you have left to make the issue heard.

As I said, this is not a national issue. This is a state by state issue and it needs to be handled there at the state level.

Paranoid much?

The government isn't a stationary thing. It's composed of people trying to win reelection, and if possible, enforce their vision of America on the rest of America.

That means that SOMETIMES they take away, "rights" and other times they grant new "rights".

As for it being my responsibility to protect my rights, how exactly can I do that if the laws of the land prevent me from doing that?

By changing the laws?

And isn't my "right" to try and change federal law, if I can?

So, how is gay people, who are trying to protect their rights, by changing the law the equivalent of government taking away your rights?

Can you answer that?

I'd bet you can't.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I'm appalled this carries so much debate, anger and attention.

I don't care what the "Law" says one way or another. Man governs his own behaviors & ethics.

My sexual preference is none of your business. Nor my bosses. Nor my congress. Nor the Fed. Nor Santa's.

Imagine if those of you who are tried and true, straight as an arrow, missinary position on Saturday nite sort of folks. And EVERYONE and their fricken brother decided that was not distasteful so much as a source of HATE.

Uncle Sam doesn't want to know.
Your parents ostracize you.
Family talks about as tho you have a disease.
And if someone comes into a bar in uniform, you are worried you could be hassled or injured.

Because one person makes you weak, breathless and feel deeply nurturing and protective.

I don't care. You can even proposition me. I'll say "yes, plz" or "no, thank you" as is appropriate.

People with hate and anger over this topic should go find a mirror and find out why you are afraid.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

I'm with that, except you should also care what the law says, as it can either encourage or discourage discrimination.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBlood

What's wrong? Lost the will to live or has the sun just come up and so time for you to disappear into your little wooden box until it sets again?
Or just frustrated because you are losing ground in an argument that you will never win because JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL!

Gay Rights now Gay Rights forever!

TaTa for now!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

As long as I have neither an animal pen or a play pen in my bedroom, or a new patio with dead teenagers under it, or a bag of hair in my closet as an ode to the object of desire, every law can be changed.

And I do not.

This is as important as abortion law is. Which is to say, while it does bring "SEX" into the political arena, it is seriously no ones business. Why and how any group can discriminate, govern unfairly, or control another group is just beyond me.

Fetch me a ballet. I've got a lot to say.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Gay rights and abortion should not be hot issues during this election. There are far more important issues to be dealt with at this point in time. People who vote for POTUS based on this issue alone should probably not be voting.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

If Romney truly felt this way, he would have stated it, Moons ago.

Sorry, but im calling him a hypocrite, that is Pandering to capture votes.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

If Romney truly felt this way, he would have stated it, Moons ago.

Sorry, but im calling him a hypocrite, that is Pandering to capture votes.

ding ding ding

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Does a politian Marry you or is it a priest?

A government employee married me. There was no church, no religious words or religious people... Purely secular. It's a CHOICE people have. Marriage is a government institution, to which SOME add a religious component. But even religious marriages are licensed THROUGH THE STATE.

To the OP:

Mitt, Mitt, Mitt!
What a silly goose! Next thing you know, he's going to be praising the virtues of contraception and the woman's right to make her own medical decisions!

Hey, Mitt! How do you feel about paying your fair share of taxes to keep this country going? Next month, he'll be advocating for that!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'm not American but really, focus on the important things like the economy, employment and healthcare and the general welfare of the American people. THEN when you've sorted all that out, you can get back to making sure nobody gets upset because they don't feel equal.

I'm all for equality and gay/ lesbian people should have every right to do what they want but it's not an urgent matter right now! This popularity contest really gets me, it's the same over in the UK, all clever marketing and saying what you think people want to hear to win votes. Just deal with the issues and drop all the crap!

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Originally posted by WildWorld
Gay rights and abortion should not be hot issues during this election. There are far more important issues to be dealt with at this point in time. People who vote for POTUS based on this issue alone should probably not be voting.

You vote for your reasons and everyone else will vote for their reasons. How about that?

I agree that these issues shouldn't be hot issues, and neither one applies to me personally. But I believe in freedom. And when the politicians start making laws and trying to make laws that limit our freedom (as the GOP has done recently on these issues) the people are going to notice and respond.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Wow Trueblood. You stepped in it with your first post and instead of wiping it off your shoe, you stuck that shoe in your mouth.

"I" am a Libertarian. I notice your signature supports Gary Johnson...awesome...but here is the kicker.

"True" Libertarians have a really unique point of view. When it comes to LGBT, race, drugs, prostitution...I just don't give a F***. You are free to do whatever you want...I really do not care. I am not offended by any of it. What do I want as a Libertarian? To be left alone! Do not tell me how to live and I will not tell you how to live. Do not tell me what I can do in the privacy of my home and I will not tell you. Don't tax me into the poorhouse to pay for wars, foreign aid and bigger government.

Sure, free speech is a right and everyone is entitled to their opinion...but at the root, where in truth does your opinion spring from. To say you are entitled to hate speech is true...but have you ever asked yourself why it is you hate? You might not be as "freedom loving" as you profess to be.

I have the freedom to say I dislike artsy-fartsy people that think they are superior because they are vegetarians. I don't hate them because they "think" they are superior...I just dislike their rhetoric and attitudes. I can choose to stand, listen and argue, or I can choose to tune them out and ignore them. I generally ignore people that think they are better than someone else.

I afford everyone the freedom to be who they are even if I disagree with them. I can disagree with you and not hate you. As long as you don't come into my yard and try to "change" who I am...then I don't care who "you" are.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

No one is contending that American's don't have the right to disagree. If you don't like gay people that is okay, if you don't like straight people that is okay too. The contention is two-fold:

1) Hetero-sexual couples do in fact have privilege over homo-sexual couples. Hetero-sexual couples can marry and enjoy the protections and benefits of such. Gay couples cannot. Same sex unions do not offer the same protections and benefits and are not recognized in all States.

2) No one should have to hide their sexuality. If I were a gay male that chose to marry my boyfriend, I should be able to bring him to the company picnic without fear of reprisal or being ostracized. Marrying your partner whether same sex or opposite sex should not be a matter of shame such as you compare to being a high school drop out. I should be able to say in casual convo "my girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife" regardless of my gender. That is not flaunting gayness, it is not attention seeking, it is not social engineering... It is being a social human being.

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Considering that scripture is clear that homosexual and lesbian lifestyles are a sign of reprobation, which means that God has given them over to their passions in judgement, shouldn't this hypocrisy be a red flag to all? Whether you believe that the Bible contains the words of God or not, shouldn't his statement make anyone question his motives or his loyalties? Sadly, instead of warning all of you of imminent judgement upon this land, he feels it necessary to extol the virtues of God's judgement as "equal rights". This massive and glaring deception on his part should send both Christians and others running, but sadly it won't. He's actually saying that we all have "equal rights" to be in God's judgements, but unfortunately, because the words of the True God are no longer preached, people just clap whilst never understanding what he is actually stating.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join