It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GIANT worm found in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Appears everything's bigger in China!

What was that thing eating! Chances are whatever it was, was probably born into the stuff that made it swell up like that.

YUNNAN PROVINCE, China (CNN) - A huge half-meter-long earthworm was found in the gutter of a residential house Thursday in Binchuan Country, Yunnan Province in southwest China. Li Zhiwei, a worker from the Forestry Bureau of Binchuan County, saw the slinking worm by the gutter when he was putting out some Chinese dates to dry in the backyard.

“It looked like a snake, I looked carefully and found it was actually a huge earthworm,” said Li, who added that he decided to keep the worm and raise it in his backyard. The elongated earthworm has attracted neighbors, who have never seen one this long before.

Depending on the species, an adult earthworm can be anywhere from 10 mm long and 1 mm wide to 3 m long and over 25 mm wide.

wtvr.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I wonder if it has a genetic mutation related to reproduction. Dont some worms reproduce by mitosis?

Either way,
They will catching some big fish with those worms!

Nice find!

ETA- why put this in the crypto forum? Theres nothing hypithetical about this! Should put it in the nature forum, just my 2 cents
edit on 9/6/2012 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Time to go bait a hook.... Lets see what I catch, maybe a Megalodon!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I wonder if they cooked it.

Lets be honest here, in China if it has a heart beat its killed, cooked and eaten !

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Not that big really. As they quoted wikipedia:

Depending on the species, an adult earthworm can be anywhere from 10 mm long and 1 mm wide up to 3 m long and over 25 mm wide, but the typical Lumbricus terrestris grows to about 360 mm long

..it was 6 times smaller than something it "could have been".

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

First thing I thought of - not only the worm stories I could tell but the fishy ones as well!
Honestly? That thing is so gross...could probably hear it scream as it took the hook.
That's just too gross.

Great find and share to the OP!

peace

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Has he ate it yet?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Worms can get way bigger than this one.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

That's not a worm. THIS is a worm:

Armed with sharp teeth, it is known to attack with such speeds that its prey is sometimes sliced in half. Although the worm hunts for food, it is omnivorous. It is also covered in bristles that are capable of a sting that results in permanent numbness in humans.

Little is known about the sexual habits and life span of this worm, but researchers hypothesize that sexual reproduction occurs at an early stage, maybe even when the worm is about 100 millimetres (3.9 in) in length; this is very early, considering that these worms can grow to sizes of nearly 3 metres (9.8 ft) in some cases...

In March 2009, the Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium in Cornwall UK, discovered a bobbit worm in one of their tanks. The workers had seen the devastation caused by the worm, such as fish being injured or disappearing and coral being sliced in half, but didn't find it until they started taking the display apart in the tank.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
sorry
edit on 6-9-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
THe first few moments of the video framed it in such a way that the worm looked about a meter long!!! Kindof a letdown when they put the ruler up to it.

reply to post by Praetorius

Holy Crap! That's messed up! Can't believe I have never heard of this thing before. You'd think that injuries would be somewhat common, as shallow as they live.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
www.cracked.com...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

That's not a worm. THIS is a worm:

Armed with sharp teeth, it is known to attack with such speeds that its prey is sometimes sliced in half. Although the worm hunts for food, it is omnivorous. It is also covered in bristles that are capable of a sting that results in permanent numbness in humans.

Little is known about the sexual habits and life span of this worm, but researchers hypothesize that sexual reproduction occurs at an early stage, maybe even when the worm is about 100 millimetres (3.9 in) in length; this is very early, considering that these worms can grow to sizes of nearly 3 metres (9.8 ft) in some cases...

In March 2009, the Newquay's Blue Reef Aquarium in Cornwall UK, discovered a bobbit worm in one of their tanks. The workers had seen the devastation caused by the worm, such as fish being injured or disappearing and coral being sliced in half, but didn't find it until they started taking the display apart in the tank.

Wow that is one scary #ing worm!

Why are we wasting time exploring space when we have so many very cool wonderful things on Earth that we still don't fully understand?

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
www.cracked.com...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I try to keep up on all recent Cracked articles, and that's where I myself learned about that freaky jerk I posted. The rest are nuts, just none with examples quite so large.

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
That aint an Earthworm... This is a Earthworm

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

My grandparents have giant dew worms in their yard that are bigger than that

posted on Sep, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Let me guess...
It tastes like chicken?

posted on Sep, 7 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
thought it was the mongolian deathworm

animal.discovery.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Reminds me of the worms we had to dissect for biology back in HS. They were over a foot long and fat too.

I'm sure this is quite normal and is a regional variation.

posted on Sep, 15 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Wow. The first angle made the thing look about 9 feet long and the size of my leg, and for a minute I was reflecting on the rarity about to happen: me screaming.
But then it changed angles. And I have to admit I'm a little disappointed. Still, I'm glad they don't get that big here.
And what on earth is a bobbit worm? I think I'm gonna have nightmares on that one

top topics

<<   2 >>

join