It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

south coast of britain sinking?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I didn't know about this until a friend happened to mention it in passing...I know, we have odd conversations.

Basically, the island of Britain is "heavier" on the south coast, and Scotland is rising. And over time and apparently due to global warming the island now seems to be....tilted.

No conspiracy, no doomsday prophesies. Just a general post of: I didn't know that, did you?

Like I said, this is new info to me, and I still need to read up on it a bit, but I figured you guys could help with the whole researching bit. Cause that's what we do here, isn't it?

Tilting Britain

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is my 1st post by the way
Thanks for reading it

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I guess what an elderly friend of the family from Scotland said is true...."Oh no lass, Scotland will never go under the water."

That's very interesting.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I remember learning about this in my geology class last year. I forget many details though.

Pretty cool though, huh?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wonder if it'll ever settle?
No wonder people don't get hangovers there, higher altitude

CX

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Thats me buggered then.

Just bought a big box of PG Tips today though so the stress levels won't be going off the charts quite yet.

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I thought it was the sheer weight of the ice shelf that rested over Scotland during the ice age, forcing the north down. Then when that melted, a seesaw action was created, so the south is now going down.

That's what I thought anyway.
edit on 4-9-2012 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The only way an island could sink is if it was floating, since britain isn`t a floating island, it can`t sink.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
S&F my friend,

TBH i thought this was going to be a joke, but i can see it's true!
I'm from Durham and this is new's to me.
Its probably bad of me to be slightly pleased i'm in the North, going up rather than down lol.

nice find

edit on 4-9-2012 by christafinias because: Typo

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
The only way an island could sink is if it was floating, since britain isn`t a floating island, it can`t sink.

The thought never occured that it might sink. I was more wondering about how the see-sawing may be affecting us in some way. My friend mentioned something about how more people are located on the South side of the country because of the weather, so that adds more weight as well to the tilt.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Almost brings new light to the term: The Scottish HIGH lands.....And "going down south" could have a whole new meaning too

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 3Dplus

Kind of parallels the politics of the Island,
and the economy as well.
edit on 4-9-2012 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Does this mean that before long we'll have to start sawing a couple of legs on our tables shorter to stop things rolling off them if we live on the south coast?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3Dplus

The thought never occured that it might sink. I was more wondering about how the see-sawing may be affecting us in some way. My friend mentioned something about how more people are located on the South side of the country because of the weather, so that adds more weight as well to the tilt.
OK.On the count of 3 will everyone in the south be kind enough to start running north so we can balance this out?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Its so the south never get another hose pipe ban or water shortage again, all the water will run south

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09

Originally posted by 3Dplus

OK.On the count of 3 will everyone in the south be kind enough to start running north so we can balance this out?

I wonder if that would make a difference? Shall we write to someone and have a "Safe our South" marathon up North?

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
I thought it was the sheer weight of the ice shelf that rested over Scotland during the ice age, forcing the north down. Then when that melted, a seesaw action was created, so the south is now going down.

You're absolutely right. This is in fact the cause, and it can be seen anywhere there used to be massive glaciers. It's just the Earth adjusting to the new patterns of weight.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A Scottish friend told me this a few years ago - That Scotland was rising whilst England was sinking
I replied - "Oh No - does this mean all the Scots will slide down into England"

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Very interesting find, something I never knew before.

As a poster above says it seems like its to do with the Ice shelf and its called Post Glacial Rebound

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
its not just england 20 years ago i lived in a small village near the coast my girlfriend told me when she was young that the steps going down to the beach were once going to the golf course . i thought she was nuts when i told my 85 year old neighbour this she said she was correct and pointed out to sea and told me when she was young that it was farm land out there xxxxxed my head in to see how far the sea has come in in 70 years

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join