It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new country in North America? What do Canadians and Americans make of this?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

Quebec is in America, that is half right.
You can keep them, Canadians are tired of sending welfare payment ts to these whiners anyway.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I say if you guys leave try to not resort to terrorism this time and if you do you take all your provinces debt with you and on the day its offical stop using our canadian currency and make your own cause i would love to see you pansys come crawling back to us so that you dont become a third world country whose only friend is france. On the upside we will no longer have french as well as english on everything. Oh yeah us albertans shouldent give you any oil, have fun with your crap country you freeloaders

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

Originally posted by jephers0n
This thread is a joke.

If Quebec wants to leave, get the frig out. We're sick of you, anyways. We're sick of giving you handouts, we're sick of your hatred for this country, we're sick of your holier than thou attitude.

Go. Scram.

Best joke ever? Get Quebec to build a 50 ft wall around the whole Province to keep Canadians out.

Then Canada can fill it with water.

Honestly, the way they talk about the rest of the country?

I'd pay to be the one who pulled the lever to flood it. I'd pay anything.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hey! This person reminds me of a Canadian Version of Ron Paul.

Dreams that will never happen. Sorry! That's a Big IF

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExNihilo

Originally posted by GAOTU789

Originally posted by the cynic jester
is that we should let them seperate then invade.

It isn't invasion, it is securing Canadian assets on foreign soil, just like what was set to be done last time. Secure them until some agreement can be worked out for either their return to Canadian soil or sale to New Quebec or destroy them. Those were orders last time.

LOL sale or destroy them? that would be a declaration of war against a lot of countries in the world. Even the states would stop the Canadian forces from any attempt to invade.
edit on 2-9-2012 by ExNihilo because: (no reason given)
you think too highly of quebec im pretty sure most countrys could care less

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RobertF
One step closer to connecting the continental US to Alaska...

Sorry, but BC is Canada all the way. 60% in a split vote against Campbell, NDP and Green, a few elections ago when Campbell was in, but that split left vote still got him in.

We don't like US politics and lack of services in any way/shape/form.

Quebec is a cool place and if it does split, it won't be quite the independent nation it thinks. All the other plans for splitting involved getting services and monies from Canada still.

Not sure what to call that actually.

I'm not for any split off of Quebec by the way, think its a beautiful province.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by FanarFanar

Originally posted by ExNihilo
reply to post by GAOTU789

To invade or attack Quebec would not go unpunished.

I'm sure they'll use ICBMs to defend Quebec.

Take cover Ottawa! Inter-Canadian Baguette Missiles incoming!!
oh lol i love this caus ohhhhh quebec is so scary good on yeah man

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Why would any province in Canada want to join the USA. They aren't that dumb up there.
reply to post by rickymouse

Take a closer look at the map, and you'll instantly see what would happen to the eastern provinces of Canada, if Quebec were to secede. Although I don't think secession will happen, if it did, the eastern provinces would be in a big bind. Financial burdens to Canada, they would be the same to the US, and this would create quite an international dilemma. I hope for the sake of both Canada and the US that this does not happen.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

Lol

No.

Quebec seperating from Canada is a pipe dream, because it's not economically viable for them to do so. We would not let them keep the currency. There are so many issues related to that movement and the PQ is actually just thumping along a la Tea Party to win an election.

They also claim that they are going to give every Quebec Resident access to a family doctor in 4 years

Anywhoo. It won't ever happen. Quebec would be nothing without the support it receives from the Federal Government. Least of which a country.

~Tenth
edit on 9/3/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Iwannaknow2

What the hell are you talking about?

This is a discussion about Quebec separation, not the U.S!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Don't they actually call it sovereignty instead of independence nowadays? Something sort of like 'free association'?

Keeping Canadian currency, Canadian citizenship, Canadian military defense, Canadian economic aid, etc is not independence. It's autonomy.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Sorry, dont have a need to follow Canadian politics, but maybe I should start.
This, just in case one day I will need to migrate to Canada, once this country turns into another Mexico.
I best start coining a new phrase just in case, Quebexican.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
How about turn it into a peenal colony call it, The Canadian GooLag!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Grayarea

Sorry for being pissy. Just wished I was still living down home.

I think we are at a watershed moment in Canadian history yet to be written. Quebec embraced the NDP in the last federal election. A NATIONAL party. First time in ages. Regionalism is killing this nation. The West has to drop it as well. We all get "Ontario sucks". Hell I live here but we've got to pull together.

Now there is something we both agree on, we need to work together as one Canada, not Canada plus Quebec. The separation crap has to stop, it's getting really old already. I just don't understand why Quebec does not want to be part of this country, it makes them and the rest of Canada stronger. With a 200 billion provincial debt, Quebec would be in huge trouble if they separate.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

I'm impressed by the hate I see in the posts regarding the Quebec independance.
As a European, I have always seen Canadians as relax & fairly wise people.
Some people here start to sound like us Europeans, especially Belgians (French-speaking Wallons & Dutch-speaking Flamish simply hate each other these days).

As to should Quebec separate, well this is not the question asked by the OP here, and I would rather leave it to Canadians (Quebec & non-Quebec alike) to decide.
However, I have a question about that: doesn't Canada have a consitution amendment that prohibits any part of the country to separate?
For example France's constitution states that France is one and cannot be divided.

To reply to some people who said Quebec would be crushed shortly between two super powers, I would reply, just look at Switzerland, Luxemburg, Andorra.
These small (-ish for Switzerland) countries are locked between France, Germany & Spain. Yet they are doing very fine, even much better than France or Germany... probably because they have a "favourable" tax system.

I tend to not favour separatism, as your country is then smaller, and you loose the advantage of the number, of a powerful big country: when Canada, US, Germany, China, Russia,... speak up, other counties listen to them. When, for example, Belgium (5 million people) speak up, well no one really cares (I say that with all due respect to Belgium, it is just that they are not so powerful on the international scene).

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
i think its great, unless they start stealing land like someone else we know

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
^^^ well said KarmaComa

The language barrier is usually a downer added the divide and conquer MSM spin and you get the perfect recipe for ignorance. Its very wrong to think government represent everyone, Right now, and pretty much all campaign long (34 days lol) survey never gave PQ more than 38%. So we are a long way from renaming any hockey team. Quebec folks are as insecure as everyone else on the continent, maybe a bit more judging by the insurance business.

I'm just curious about those spitting on Quebec un-hospitality.
How many of you guys actually can make yourself understand in french?
Or traveled in some part of the globe, where you can't be understood in english?
I'm pretty sure every of those positions towards quebec are solely based upon ignorance, the facility to pin point a different group while at the same time being unable to see we are all the same.

I think Canada, as a whole, need to address REAL issue.
At this rate, there will be nothing left to separate for 'cause we are so foreign owned in every economic sectors, its crazy.
edit on 4-9-2012 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Some of the population always wanted independence. The same is true to Scotland in the UK, I think there will be a referendum soon there...

I think autonomies are great but one should be careful, in relation to who is behind the movement and what do they intend to do with the autonomy/independence and the costs versus benefits. Fights for independence or autonomies are also a great way to call attention to necessaries social improvements especially if the region is more depressed than the rest of the nation...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
"Maitres chez nous" = Masters in our own houses.

Many Canadians see Quebec as consisting of "New France", a narrow strip of land along the St. Lawrence River and "Prince Rupert's Land" a huge area granted to the Hudson's Bay Company in the 1600s. Prince Rupert's land was transferred to the Province of Quebec by an act of Parliament in the early 20th century. The overwhelming bulk of Quebec's mineral forest and hydro-electric resources are in Prince Rupert's Land.

What would happen in the event of a vote to separate by the inhabitants of Quebec is difficult to determine and must be looked at against the backround of politics in North America, the North America of NORAD, and the North American Security and Prosperity Partnership, of the "Amero", etc.

Quebec receives considerable cultural protection within the Canadian federation. Presumably if Quebec were to withdraw from the Canadian federation, it would then take steps to increase and strengthen safeguards of Quebecois culture within the new sovereign nation and correspondingly, existing cultural concessions aimed at bolstering the French language in the rest of Canada would likely be withdrawn.

There will be social unrest in Quebec if this happens. Even within Quebec, not everyone would welcome such a change, particularly if it leads to negative economic consequences. Aboriginal people, in my understanding, do not support this. They live in the north where the resources are, in Prince Rupert's Land.

There could also be difficulties for Franco-Ontarians, French speaking communities in the West and for the Province of New Brunswick. The destabilizing effects of Quebec separation could be considerable.

Taking the step of separating from Canada is very serious. It is something that will be exploited by many interests. It is very dangerous. Will Newfoundland and Labrador continue to honor its energy agreements with a Sovereign Quebec?

People in Quebec should think very carefully about this. Is separation the answer to Quebec's cultural problems?

It is easy to separate from Canada, but how is Quebec going to separate from the United States?

Food for thought.
edit on 4-9-2012 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join