It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new country in North America? What do Canadians and Americans make of this?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

How long will it be before the Indian nations get their
own country ? and have their own revolt

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
It is just after 8:00 AM in France and France 24 is reporting events in Montreal just as they would any story, although it was the lead item, ahead of the Julian Castro speech at the DNC in Charlotte. The tone seemed to be that Quebec is very much of interest in France, when something unusual happens.

There is a sense of community in the Francophonie and Quebec is a respected member of that community. I think for most French people in France Quebec is like the neighbor down the street. Acknowledged but usually not the object of scrutiny unless something unusual happens, as with last night.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

edit on 5-9-2012 by TrueBlood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBlood
Why would Americans care that part of Canada wants to become it's own nation? Maybe the new country will be less irrelevant.

Your ignorance must be a bad attempt at a troll.

Otherwise, you should probably just go back to watching "Jersey Shore"

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n

Why would Americans care that part of Canada wants to become it's own nation? Maybe the new country will be less irrelevant.

Your ignorance must be a bad attempt at a troll.

Otherwise, you should probably just go back to watching "Jersey Shore"

It was a joke buddy no need to get upset.

I'm not your buddy.

I do happen to be a proud Canadian.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by salmoneggs

Originally posted by Grayarea

Originally posted by salmoneggs
Canada needs Quebec for its resources and cash.

That is just way too funny to not post a reply.

Do you know that out of the 25 billion Alberta pays in transfer payments, Quebec takes 7 billion, and that Quebec has choosen to NOT develop it's resources?

No Canada does not need to keep feeding a welfare province that starts crying about separating every so many years because they want more AGAIN.

Time to get off the nipple and fly, be free, good luck with that......

Alberta doesnt pay Quebec a dime. Alberta pays the same equalization tax regardless of Quebec being separate or not. It goes in the federal pot. Yes Quebec gets a large portion of that pot to fund the social programs but there is also a lot of french men paying top dollar taxes there. As for resources, whether they are being developed now or not, they will be needed at some point. If Canada didnt want anything from Quebec we woulda let les whiners go long time ago.

Wrong, if every province had the same amount of cash, why would there be an equalization program ? If Alberta never put money in, Quebec would get less, giving it to the federal government to hand to Quebec is the same as paying directly.

Since 1957, when the equalization program was started, Quebec has taken half the money doled out and has never spent a single year as a "have" province. Fixing this mess should have been central to the Quebec election but with the rest of the country agreeing to pay their bills Quebecers argued about language, religion and everything but the economy.

www.edmontonsun.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FlySolo

Thank you for your response & clarifications!

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Please could you explain further what has France politics to do with Quebec separatism, except for De Gaulle's "vive le Quebec libre"? (yes, it's him who said that).

Sarkozy is at best a populist liar. Well, this definition suits about every politician, but Sarkozy made it his favourite sport, he made it so obvious.
In reality he did (he is now out of French politics, at least for now) not give a damn about the Bsaque region & its people, he was just caressing them to get more votes.
ETA (Basque sepratists) want to talk to the French government. No way!!! France is one and cannot be divided, Basque region is French (north of the Pyrenees mountains) and that's it!

And De Gaulle & Sarkozy have very little in common, probably only the fact that they have been the President of France.

I honestly find your post misplaced, it does not bring anything to this debate.

Edit:
I think I now understand why you wrote your post: because Quebec separatist play the French card, and you want to show how separatism is handled in France, correct?

edit on 5/9/2012 by KarmaComa because: check out the edit comment end of the post

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

France certainly has nothing to do with Quebec separatism.
Indeed de Gaulle once called for a "free" independant Quebec. But nowadays this is not seen as important by France.
French people know that Quebec is not a French colony/department/subsidiary etc.
Yes, people speak French in Quebec, but with a heavy accent, lots of Quebec-only words, it can be difficult up to impossible for a French person to understand a Quebec person.

Apart from the pride of having some French-speaking people kicking the backside of (=separating from) English-speaking people, France has nothing to gain from an independant Quebec.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

Quebec stars are indeed very big in France.
Yet they are seen as over-romantic (if that makes sense), and have lots of fun made at them.
Especially Celine Dion, Lara Fabian, Roch Voisine, Garou...

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DaesDaemar

Quebec people are as much French as Canadians & US people are English (except for the natives, Afro-americans, hispanics)...

ipsedixit said it before me, and better than me.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ipsedixit

you perfectly said it.

France is linked to Quebec via the Francophonie, same language & culture heritage.
Now, Quebec is Canadian, France is French, and that's it.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
After reading online about the shots fired and a man killed during the celebration of the PQ victory, I'm out of ths debate for a while.

link

It only takes one person to change everything when that fool picks up a gun and uses it.

Sad.
edit on 5/9/12 by masqua because: added link

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If you only looked at the front pages of the Toronto Star and the National Post this morning you would never know a shot was fired last night in Montreal.

I just finished my shift so I don't have time to go into this but for American readers of this thread, the above fact comes as close to a definition of what it is to be Canadian as you will ever get. Canadians are like the British only understated. Compared to us, the British are like Texans. Over and out.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

Yeah have been unfortunate enough to travel to Montreal. If you don't speak French your treated like a piece of #. So yeah go ahead and make your own damn country, you guys think your better then the rest of the world anyway, an this is coming from an American. You guys are the most stuck up pricks I have ever met and I live in Boston.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't mind Montreal but they are crazy drivers. More so outside of Montreal if you don't speak french they don't like you at all. Even the French from France don't like Quebec because of the way they speak the language. Maybe with this incident they might start up the FLQ or an english version. The old divide and conquer thing again. I dont know how many countries have their terrorist groups. Canada has been peaceful for a long time but you never know. Maybe an excuse is coming to bring in the war measures act. I have lived in Nova Scotia and have had to move away from there.A lot of Nova Scotians as well as Newfies work in outside of their province and if Quebec separates they would be cut off or make it hard to get to Ontario to work

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I live in Ontario - Toronto... i been to Montreal a lot of times, even tho general attitude is good, once they know you don't speak french and just English, their attitude change, they won't even reply when asked for direction. 99% of them knows English.

I wonder how minorities are treated... i mean, different skin colour would for them is automatically a non french person.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
First time poster, longtime reader. I love this site, lol. I'm originally from Newfoundland, born and raised. Yes, there is alot of bad-blood between we newfs and Quebecers mainly because of Churchill Falls. I've driven through Quebec a number of times and it's a beautiful part of the country, especially in northern Quebec (alot of untouched wilderness). One thing I did notice was the lack of hospitality towards english speaking people as I've driven through Quebec a number of times (Note to any newfies reading this - Do Not tell them you’re from Newfoundland, lol).
I think alot of the Quebec governments money comes from the transfer payment made by Ottawa as their resource sectors are not setup to the point where they would be able to sustain a sovereign Quebec nation. Plus there's monies coming from said CHURCHILL FALLS, but I’m not bitter so I'll digress, lol. So, if they do decide to leave say goodbye to those transfer payments and maybe Churchill Falls. Which means no more being the cheapest universities in Canada, no more subsidized child daycare, etc?

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join