It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new country in North America? What do Canadians and Americans make of this?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

Yeah maybe they can ressurect that disbanded regiment of paras from Moga dishu! the Van doos have a rep......ask around....
As for quebec goin anywhere soon.......its been said ....huge fail!
There is no momentum for this in quebec despite what the news bitches feed you......Bens the only one left......
and hes too young to vote!

Money makes the world go round......
They said every concrete pour in the whole Montreal Olympics was substandard hardness.........(too many bodies in them)
Corruption is one of the virtues of BOTH cultures however,........as the Mob works a piece of everybodys streets.....
Remember, this....many Canadian dynasty families got their origonal start at wealth during prohibition south of the border......
Some of the most repected names in Canadian politics have their roots in unseamly pies.....
Non more unseamly than the current huckster no doubt.....
That aside, the Quebecois dream is no more than gazing up a dead horses arse now....forget it Ben!
We have a couple of good wars to to watch on cnn soon......!Hockey is startiing in just weeks.....
And the Ploufe family is on CBC....

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
If you secede, time it to coordinate with Texas. That way, Texas and Quebec can cross-recgonize each other as independent countries.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This thread is a joke.

If Quebec wants to leave, get the frig out. We're sick of you, anyways. We're sick of giving you handouts, we're sick of your hatred for this country, we're sick of your holier than thou attitude.

Go. Scram.

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hey thats great!! If you guys ever need any weapons, 50 Cals, Ballistics, ICBMs, patriot defense, F-15s...come on over and help yourself to some stock, we got great deals, plus new customer 20% discount!
Disclaimer: excludes Nuclear arms, Chemical arms, Direct Energy Weapons, Kinetic Rail systems, F-22 Raptors, M1A3s, Weaponized satellite platforms, 3nd GEN UAV., etc

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Um, can you give us an accurate price of an F-35 while you're at it?

It saddens me to see the amount of hatred in this thread. What purpose does it serve than to enforce the victim-bully stance so long played out in politics?

If Marois is elected, I strongly believe she will begin negotiations for the sovereignty-association so much discussed in the past.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by Arnie123

Um, can you give us an accurate price of an F-35 while you're at it?

It saddens me to see the amount of hatred in this thread. What purpose does it serve than to enforce the victim-bully stance so long played out in politics?

If Marois is elected, I strongly believe she will begin negotiations for the sovereignty-association so much discussed in the past.

Exactly. She'll threaten it if the government doesn't give them more freaking handouts.

The rest of the population is quite frankly sick of it.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by salmoneggs
Canada needs Quebec for its resources and cash.

That is just way too funny to not post a reply.

Do you know that out of the 25 billion Alberta pays in transfer payments, Quebec takes 7 billion, and that Quebec has choosen to NOT develop it's resources?

No Canada does not need to keep feeding a welfare province that starts crying about separating every so many years because they want more AGAIN.

Time to get off the nipple and fly, be free, good luck with that......

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

After the paras (Canadian Airborne) was disbanded, what occurred was the LIB (Light Infantry Battalion) that filled the void somewhat, though haven't really been used an battle. Politically, yes corruption abounds. Imagine getting a life-long pension after serving in office for a short time whereas veterans get a slight pension or disability for their service. Brutal. It'll always be that way, lol. Interesting views of how the Quebec's culture is and what the final outcome will be.

Cheers,

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Separation in Canada has never been about separation, its always about getting a party into power, using the fears and anxieties of the unwashed masses to do so. This is yet another installment of "if you vote for us, we'll pretend to want to separate, even give you another vote to make it look democratic". It's all BS.

Quebec is a self-made welfare state that carries a large vote for a federal party, which means you have to promise to keep feeding them welfare so you can get their vote.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Grayarea

Nice to be able to say that now isn't it? My province used to be a "have" province. It was sold to international interests(free trade) by Mulroney for the good of the nation. Now I have to make my life in Ontario. Now it's a "needy" province. You're welcome btw. The sanctimonious west is as annoying as the Quebec contingent.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Nice to be able to say that now isn't it? My province used to be a "have" province. It was sold to international interests(free trade) by Mulroney for the good of the nation. Now I have to make my life in Ontario. Now it's a "needy" province. You're welcome btw. The sanctimonious west is as annoying as the Quebec contingent.

So you are saying that Mulroney, who is from Quebec, sold out the province? Guess everyone must have been sleeping when that happened. The major vote that put him in office came from Quebec. I did not vote for him, did you?

Other provinces, not just "the west" have choosen to do something to improve, Quebec has not and looks to point the finger when things go sour. I guess it's just "shame on them" because they got it together while Quebec fell on it's face. On the current path, how long before it gets better ? I think not until the transfer payments are cut off and Quebec faces reality about what really got them to this point.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Sorry for being pissy. Just wished I was still living down home.

I think we are at a watershed moment in Canadian history yet to be written. Quebec embraced the NDP in the last federal election. A NATIONAL party. First time in ages. Regionalism is killing this nation. The West has to drop it as well. We all get "Ontario sucks". Hell I live here but we've got to pull together.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Do you think the best solution is to let Quebec go free and fail so they realize they need Canada and the situation can improve? Sometimes you have to let people make a mistake for them to see the truth of what you were saying.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ExNihilo

I hear what you're saying. It's an interesting thought the idea of country number 4. And things do change in life given enough time often times. But I see some major issues.

Well first quebec does share tons with Canada. I'm visiting Montreal right now and although there's a slight tinj of a different look and feel, most is the same. Most people are bi lingual same with TV and radio. So much is the same.

But what I was gonna say is this...

Seperation has zero to do with what the people vote. That's all a phasode to let people believe this illusion that freedom exists. That there vote counts. That they can decide on things like seperation etc etc. But in reality that's nothing they have a say in. Maybe like 200 yrs ago they would had a chance at that had they beat the british but now it's different. Now all the countries are carefully monitored, plans are already written as to who does what and when. Countries don't easily break apart or things like that. Especially G20 nations.

And quebec is owned by Canada. Lets say best case senario they got some majority vote and the people voted and by civil means it appeared to be decided that they wanted to separate. Well at that point what would happen is the controling powers would then use uncivil means to keep them. They'd say in the media the vote was close but that they lost and they didn't have enough to separate. And by some crazy fluke if it got past the spin doctors then the army would step in and say "no one is leaving".

The way things are now in society is that people are given an illusion of choice when infact there still free range chickens. They think there free but there not. If you were really free then why do you need a passport to leave the country? And why does someone else decide if that passport is valid?

And were not even talking about the problems separation would cause even if somehow it could be done. If quebec thinks there economy is bad or something now, wait until they separate. They'd be eaten alive by economic hit men. They'd be taken over likely by the americans pressure tactics. They wouldn't be separate. They'd be manipulated and destroyed by political pressures. Anyway there about as different to canada as Sasakatchewan. They too are different, so is BC so is AB so are the maratimes. They all have a unique qualities and look and feel like there own little countries. So with Quebec. There not that different.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I remember the last referendum... very close call. I also remember that Quebec, after its separation from Canada wanted everything it had while it was with Canada, it wanted all the perks, and nothing else.

Then I remember(not well mind you)... the actual size of Quebec after everything would have been said and done, it was pretty tiny. The Native population(Inuits- Northern Quebec) have a say in these things as well, as another member pointed out, as do the other Native peoples...a lot if not most of these natural resources sit on their lands.

I may sound like a complete ass... but if the English enforced stiffer terms after the "French and Indian War" things would have been different, and we wouldn't be here discussing this topic.

I like Quebec, I lived there for 2 years when I first arrived to Canada. But I'm much older now... and I need to worry about myself. My favourite team is still the Habs, though I now live in Toronto, the Expos would have won the Wolrd Series too... eventually.

lol

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Then they can turn it into another slume. We all know the money we pay via W-4 goes to bankers not infra structure. I remeber when our USA looked clean and fresh even with the same Gov. Bankers at the top. WHAT HAPPENED?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I believe independance of this province is a real joke ha ha
They keep feeding themselves with the ideology of an independant country with only 50%+1 voting yes
wich is completely flawed imo. It will never happen.
above all, most people don't want the Castafiore in power

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
Will they have to rename the Montreal Canadians hockey team?

Absolutely. And thousands of Quebec residents who work in Ottawa would lose their security clearances immediately, and be forced to quit their Canadian Government jobs as they wouldn't be Canadian Citizens.

Quebec would also have to renegotiate any trade deals with the USA, and would lose their "most favoured nation" trading status that they would have as part of Canada.

They would also have to renegotiate with the IMF, the World Bank, and create their own currency. Not likely if they seperate that Canada would allow them to continue to use Canadian Dollars. They also would need to setup their own military, their own welfare system, social services, and diplomatic services.

Massively expensive for Quebec to seperate from Canada. I highly doubt that the average Quebecois has actually thought about how much this will all cost the average taxpayer. Taxes will be through the roof immediately (I would imagine at LEAST 50% for the lowest income brackets).

As a Canadian, I would be sorry to see the breakup of Canada, but the Quebecois would get what they voted for if they do this.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jephers0n
This thread is a joke.

If Quebec wants to leave, get the frig out. We're sick of you, anyways. We're sick of giving you handouts, we're sick of your hatred for this country, we're sick of your holier than thou attitude.

Go. Scram.

Best joke ever? Get Quebec to build a 50 ft wall around the whole Province to keep Canadians out.

Then Canada can fill it with water.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arnie123
Hey thats great!! If you guys ever need any weapons, 50 Cals, Ballistics, ICBMs, patriot defense, F-15s...come on over and help yourself to some stock, we got great deals, plus new customer 20% discount!
Disclaimer: excludes Nuclear arms, Chemical arms, Direct Energy Weapons, Kinetic Rail systems, F-22 Raptors, M1A3s, Weaponized satellite platforms, 3nd GEN UAV., etc

So biological weapons are okay then? Awesome !

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join