It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 53
<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I have some free time next week / maybe a tiny bit on the weekend if someone wants to get in touch before the weekend is over.

Can work out a topic between now and Sunday preferably to make sure I got the time.

Rawk on.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Well, put it into your debate queue, and we'll save it for later. I have a rematch with Rising Against from last year about Soccer vs Football that we haven't gotten to yet.

We'll get to it sooner or later, aye?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

if someone wants to get in touch

Touch!

Will you sit still long enough?

I had a gun control topic a few posts back (prolly not to your liking), but heck, you state until this weekend to formulate a discussion.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'll chuck U2Us.

I had a look, I don't think the one on AI and morality actually got done?

So perhaps we can do this even.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

I like your attitude. Despite losing again and again, you stick around. Thats true fighting spirit and makes you one of the real winners of the Forum.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Mass Shootings Judgments are in...

The winner this time is...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Great effort TinkerHaus.

Guess I wasn't able to argue my points well enough. Good luck in future my friend.

edit: Oh and how could I post without giving much appreciation to the judges! Keep this forum going.

edit on 11-1-2013 by curiousrb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This morning I was thinking about a debate that I'd like to do, more for personal exploration than anything else, because I doubt that I'd win, but it would require a new format and a very specific type of opponent, so I'll just toss it out there and if the mods think it's okay and someone wants to take up the challenge, great. If not, just as great.

My new format, call it a "Discourse Challenge", would be a back and forth between two people, as if we were sitting at a table in the pub, calmly discussing the issue at hand.

The debate format would be 10 rounds, and would consist of Socratic Questions and responses only -- nothing can be introduced which is not either the basis for a question, or part of a response to a question. There should be some reasonable limit to the length of both questions and responses (though I'm not sure what they would be.) As would be the case in a bar, you may cite an outside source, but no extensive quotes, no pictures, videos, or things that you normally wouldn't have in a pub conversation.

The subject that I want to explore is a topical one -- "Should semi-automatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition magazines be banned in the United States?" I would take the "pro" position, and I'd like to have a conversation with someone who is extremely opposed to that point.

If there is any concern on the part of the mods that this would be complicated or hard to judge, I'd be open to the first one being a "beta" or "demo" of the format to see if it works, and it need not be judged.
edit on 11-1-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Congrats Druid!

I have learned a lot from this debate and thanks to the judges for pointing out what I can improve on.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I'm always interested in new ideas. I'd also definitely take the con position on that topic.

Let's float it past the mods to see how well it is received.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 1/11/13 by Druid42 because: hit key twice.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Thanks, SS. I liked your take, twas equally footed. That was a toss up.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Our judging capacities are not up to the task. We also have to keep in mind whether it would be entertaining to readers. The Debate Forum does fairly well in terms of readership because the debates are not too long. Thats why they were shortened down to 3 posts each.

If you can show me how such a format would not be longer than that (example post maybe?), it would be approved.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Our judging capacities are not up to the task. We also have to keep in mind whether it would be entertaining to readers. The Debate Forum does fairly well in terms of readership because the debates are not too long. Thats why they were shortened down to 3 posts each.

If you can show me how such a format would not be longer than that (example post maybe?), it would be approved.

That's what I meant when I said that both questions and responses should be kept very short -- I was thinking 1-2 sentences for the question, and one paragraph for the response. Again, going for that "two friends chatting about a controversial subject in the pub" feel, rather than a series of long speeches on either one's part.

Done properly, such a conversation would likely be far shorter than a typical debate, but a lot more interactive between the two. The entertainment aspect would be a quick back and forth (if both fighters are online, it could be probably be done within an hour or two) without a lot of long, drawn out speeches (which, as you know, I'm particularly guilty of, lol.)

ETA: Also, as I said earlier, I'm quite comfortable with Druid and I doing this one without judging it -- just a "beta" to see if it is, indeed, interesting.
edit on 11-1-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I'm also good with it not needing judged. If anything, stars per post can be a vague indication.

As a beta format, I'll help test the waters. I'm online in the evenings, so if approved, we could do this in an hour or so. I like the idea, and I am very very much against gun control. Could get heated. Adjensen supplies the ale.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Alright, if you insist, have a go at it...

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Alright, if you insist, have a go at it...

Thankee

And we have a debate!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

So it is on. I find the format entertaining, and a bit on the liberating side, but I've posted a response, so let's see where it goes.

There's no need to post individual replies, I'll just link the beginning, and let the members read. The Debate story starts HERE.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

I'd be willing to tackle the con side of that topic, but I have been pretty selfish with the debates lately. So anyone else is welcome to snag it first.

Also, it seems as though we have a "log-jam" in the judging department. Perhaps we should let the judges catch up first....just a thought.

*** This note is a reminder to Sheepslayer247 AKA SS ***

Judgments are almost up to date and if you still wish to go ahead with this debate idea, as I think it has been approved by Skyfloating and since I've taken the pro position, I could have an opening up sometime tomorrow (evening probably). Reincarnation - Could it possibly exist?

Let me know.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Go for it!

I am pretty busy at work over the next few days, but I will be able to fit it in.

new topics

top topics

<< 50  51  52    54  55  56 >>

join