It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
All I know from this last experience, is that seems the three post limit is small.

Now, I am not an experienced debator and it probably shows, but it was hard to express everything in three posts. Almost making it more of a challenge, besides my actual topic being a tough one, it does make for an easier debate to judge.

Maybe I just need more practice...

Either way it was fun!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Yes, the better you get the easier it is to point your whole point into a few sentences.

Great to read your debate.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
Then again, after re-reading the judgments about our Tied Match, and having spoken to Pinke about it, in our case, I think that there are high chances that it would have come to the same result. But it might not be like that for all debates.

Yus, I imagine it wouldn't have changed much. At one point it seemed like one of the judges actually started arguing their own case.>.<

Not complaining, good debate. I imagine judges will get better as time goes on.

Regarding various comments about length ...

I understand Skyfloating's approach that seems to be being successful that three posts is getting more debates going. The evidence is there. It does make it a bit harsh when the con position is getting a full pile of rebuttals in their closing statement, and then a judge assumes there was no mistakes or answer to this.

I think part of the key to this is choosing a good topic or portion of a topic rather than a really really wide one. The Iran one seems like a good topic in some ways IMO.

PS - there is a tonne I'd have done differently in a new debate on the same topic. Made a few errors.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Pinke because: PS

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Believe it or not, it is rewarding to debate contrary to your position. You might think it's irrational, but watch, you'll actually get your mind going once you put yourself outside of your comfort zone. Best of luck!

(It'll be a good debate to read, I'm sure.)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

All I know from this last experience, is that seems the three post limit is small.

Actually, I'm finding it to be a refreshing challenge. I find that I am spending more time trying to decide what to leave out, rather than trying to find more "talking points." The one drawback is that the space limitation tends to force one to make broad generalizations rather than produce concrete examples. Perhaps, once the forum is up and running, debaters can choose to "extend" their debate into a long form debate. For example, if adjensen and I feel that we have more to say after our current debate is finished, we can agree to a Round Two with a 7500 character limit and six posts each.

Incidentally, I haven't finished with my current debate, I've simply had a very busy weekend!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I agree. Debating contrary to your position nurtures understanding of the other side. This is even beneficial at a later time when arguing ones actual side because one has a more intimate understanding of what the other is talking about.

On ATS we see a lot of posters who dont really care what the other side thinks or sees and thats where the root of our problems in society lie.

Occupying various positions is a great exercise that increases intelligence and knowledge.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Wow, that was quick. Kudos to staff for a timely verdict!

havok, that was an interesting debate, thanks for participating.

Uhm, Sky, (or any Mod), another question:

Is it open posting in a thread AFTER it's been judged? Again, just curious.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Is it open posting in a thread AFTER it's been judged? Again, just curious.

Not currently. Mods have yet to make a decision on that.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Perhaps at a later date. That would be without judging then, since judging 6 posts is already plenty of work for the judges (as reading more than 6 is for readers). .

@All: Remember that we are having more debates in 2 weeks than the entire year before that. Thats because not everyone has endless time to debate and read and judge so much more debaters are willing to join the party.
edit on 4-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
The debate between adjensen and RedBird is approved.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

First round "pro" argument posted!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

Now, I am not an experienced debator and it probably shows, but it was hard to express everything in three posts. Almost making it more of a challenge, besides my actual topic being a tough one, it does make for an easier debate to judge.

Maybe I just need more practice...

Either way it was fun!

Don't sell yourself short. For a tough topic, you did well.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
My opening post in the 'Mysterious, perhaps not so mysterious, celebrity deaths' debate has been posted earlier on today.

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
A HUGE THANK YOU

To everybody who has helped reinvigorate the forum.

As Sky pointed out, we have not have this many debates in a really long time.

KUDOS to EVERYONE!

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
The one drawback is that the space limitation tends to force one to make broad generalizations rather than produce concrete examples.

Yes I agree, and found hard to overcome.
But with this, it will be a learning experience.

I also like debating against my personal beliefs...it seems to create a definite understanding.
So hopefully next time I can debate the side of a topic that I agree with!

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I`ll produce a new Ranking of Debaters in a few weeks.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I have posted my riposte on the "Iran should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons debate.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Hey there all.

Got my fighters status and look forward to plunging into my first debate. Topics that interest me are New Age stuff, ethics, science and religion.

I must warn you all first though many who know me have on occasion referred to me as a 'Master Debater'
(or was that something else....
)

Anyway, looking forward to the mayhem carnage um fun.

Cheers - 1littlewolf

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
2nd post is up in the Mysterious Celebrity Deaths debate...

reply to post by 1littlewolf

Newb here also
Hope you'll enjoy those debates as much as I do !

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Welcome in. Glad you have an interest in a formal debate. (or two or.......)

I am open for a new debate. I took a few days off, well rested now, and would like to offer you a debate challenge on the subject of the “New Age Movement, fact or fantasy?"

I'm open to topic revisions, and will argue either side of the issue.

Let me know if you are interested, including any revisions you may want, and which side you'd like.

I'll be waiting your response.

posted on Sep, 5 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Just got my fighter status as well. Looking to debate any topic as long as it's not drastically taboo and I'll take either side, no preference.

Let's see what the future holds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join