It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
Anyone interested in a debate regarding the Auschwitz concentration camp?

I am still looking for ideas and Auschwitz is a topic I have researched quite a bit.

I think that's a topic that has been explicitly banned from ATS, unless there's something about Auschwitz that could be debated without one side straying into "Holocaust denial" fodder.

posted on Sep, 8 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Ya, after I posted that I realized that it's a taboo topic here.

I'm not trying to stray into "revisionist territory". I was more interested in other aspects of the topic. But I can wait for a better topic to come around that will suit my interests.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Fighters ready for debates:

mr-lizard
seabag
TheMythLives
queenannie38
sheepslayer

Post here or PM each other with debate suggestions both sides agree on. Then post the suggestions here to get them approved. Chose topics that are T&C-aligned.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Hey Druid,

Sorry for the late reply. I’d love to debate you. Topic could probably do with a little more refinement as the New Age Movement itself is a definite fact; and maybe I’ll pop my debating cherry with a pro new age stance as I ease myself in

Wolf

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Fighters ready for debates:

mr-lizard
seabag
TheMythLives
queenannie38
sheepslayer
littlewolf
druid

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

How about, "The New Age Movement is the natural progression of human beliefs." I'll take the con position, which makes it tough on me, because over the years I have incorporated many "New Age" beliefs into my own world view.

Regardless, the debate is now formally submitted for Mod approval.

Best of luck!

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by 1littlewolf

How about, "The New Age Movement is the natural progression of human beliefs." I'll take the con position, which makes it tough on me, because over the years I have incorporated many "New Age" beliefs into my own world view.

Regardless, the debate is now formally submitted for Mod approval.

Best of luck!

Approved.

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I also have a debate (approved by Hefficide), with cenpuppie, but am waiting to hear back from him. The topic is "Does Obama deserve a second term?"

cen? You out there? (I'll give him till Monday Eve to respond, then put that one on the back burner.)

posted on Sep, 9 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What I'm seeing here.......

A bunch of people willing to debate.

A bunch of people willing to debate a topic, with no topic to pick.

How about each fighter comes up with five topics each, and give the Mods a nice pool of debate topics? Earlier in the thread someone said they needed a topic.

Is that really the bottleneck here?

Another member said a topic that wasn't beat to death.

Well, there are many political debates that should come up.

I'll toss out 5 topics for debate:

1. The US space program needs more funding.
2. There is no proof of Sasquatch.
3. A two-party system is not a viable political model.
4. God does not exist.
5. Is Romney the best person for the next POTUS?

Go get a topic. That's my solution.

I'll challenge every "fighter" to propose 5 topics, and with 10 "fighter" responses, we'll have 50 topics to debate.

Run with suggestions, or create your own. Post em. See what happens.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Good topic ideas, Druid!

I will work on submitting 5, myself.

In the meantime, the two party system topic interests me...and I like the Romney idea but I would have to debate on the side of he would not make a good POTUS only because I've tried and tried on my own to think of something that qualifies him and have failed miserably.

So...I am up for 3 or 5 on your list, Druid....and I would consider #2 on Sasquatch, as well.

I will return with 5 offerings soon.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
1. In the interests of efficiency (saving money and not wasting time) the POTUS term limit should be changed to just one 8 year period per lifetime.
2. The issue of Same-Sex Marriage Equality should be a Federal Legislation, while still delegating the issuance of licenses to the States.
3. The decision to enter into, and withdraw from, a war should be determined not by Congress but by national general election with results tallied on the state level.
4. Congressional lobbying should be prohibited without exception to all special interest groups, commercial entities, and business.
5. The celibacy requirement for the Catholic Church's Clergy should be lifted and marriage encouraged.

#4 might require some fine-tuning...what I am after is the idea that only the private individual should have the opportunity to influence members of Congress on legislation.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
A bunch of people willing to debate a topic, with no topic to pick.

I find social issues interesting. I'd happily do the rehabilitation vs punishment debate with anyone.

Religion is fascinating to me as is truth and sexuality/gender. Truth being a more classic philosophical topic. Morality is always a good one as is do we have free will? Happy to take up smaller questions involving niche interests too ... IE rather than do the moon landing in general again, I'd prefer to debate a specific area or point so we could do it justice.

IE ... The photographic record of Apollo indicates the landings were fake? orrrrrr ... The Apollo TV signal couldn't have been achieved in the 1960s/70s.

I won't U2U any of the people waiting on a debate, since they haven't said I can, but if you're waiting or wanting ... Throw me a U2U with a broad topic or two. Can be as detailed as 'social issues' all the way to gun control, or gender or even a specific question.

If you give me a topic or an area, I'll come up with 3 - 5 questions in that area if I can and see if we can settle on one we're happy with.

edit on 10-9-2012 by Pinke because: bolding U2U ... adding example of what to send me

edit on 10-9-2012 by Pinke because: Bolding fix!

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Ok, just throwing out a few ideas for people to consider.

I had a quick flick through the previous debates, so disregard if any of these have already been covered.

1.The NWO. Really here to take over and enslave us, or the undeniable future of mankind?

2. Is there such a thing as magic? Or is it science we just don’t yet understand?

3. Is the afterlife/heaven/hell real? Or just a human construct desgined for control?

4. Are sports and entertainment just created to distract us from fixing the true problems of the world?

5. Is the world really overpopulated? Or are we just mismanaging the Earth?

I will try to think of some more later on for people to consider.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
General ideas...

1 - Canada cutting ties with Iran was the right decision.

2 - The weather is not normal.

3 - Animal die-offs are normal.

4 - NASA is a disinformation agency.

5 - The Illuminati is a myth.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No post
edit on 10-9-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Heya - I'm back, been away for a few days. I'll have a good look through this thread tonight and I'll hopefully have some ideas pin-pointed tomorrow for discussion

Also excellent work to the mods and members who have got the debate threads rolling again.

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
A little slow on the draw, sorry (coding and deadlines suck, lol) I have posted my final argument in the Catholic thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Oh, and as to my friend Druid42's request:

1) Per Lawrence Krauss, physics trumps philosophy (sorry, gotta take negative)
2) Per Sam Harris, “Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” (sorry, gotta take negative)
3) It is ethical to refuse to vote for POTUS (lean towards positive)
4) Theodore Kaczynski had a point, apart from the pipebombs (lean towards positive)
5) The New Atheists bred the hatred that they're now trying to deal with (sorry, gotta take the positive)

posted on Sep, 10 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I am asking permission for another debate approval, from a mod, between queenannie38 and I. She has promised a quick response, and if you check her posting record, she is a very active member. Her and I debate would proceed immediately, and resolve to conclusion rather quickly.

The topic is "Mitt Romney would be a good POTUS." I am the pro side, and queenannie38 has chosen the con position. As soon as approval is granted, the debate will commence.

However, there was a glitch in a series of PMs sent to member cenpuppie, (and he never received them, verifiable by the fact that they are not in my outbox, gotta love Hughesnet) and I have now verified that our debate is set, with him making the first post. He is taking the pro position on the debate "Obama deserves a 2nd term", and I am the con. Hefficide approved it a while ago by PM. I await my opponents first post.

Then, there is a debate with 1littlewolf, about the "New Age Movement." I am putting that one on the back burner for now, and I know my opponent will understand.

Therefore, I am merely asking for approval on a debate with queenannie38, to commence immediately, and the debate with cenpuppie to run it's due course.

I'll appreciate the opportunity to debate current politics, as such may bring political factors to mind before the election. They should be a good read.

posted on Sep, 11 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
2) Per Sam Harris, “Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them” (sorry, gotta take negative)

Surely that would quickly become a death sentence debate?

Or maybe I need to look up the source.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join