It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Debate Forum - Calling all Fighters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
I had a question 'bout judging. Do we u2u a mod when our debate is finished, or will they just scope out the forum to see which ones are finished?

That said, havok and mine is done, just curious.

I am open to another debate, but I'm waiting till some others get their's started, and I'll pair up with the last unmatched person. That way, I get a couple days off.

I look through the threads now and then. The judging process has already begun on some, not on yours yet.
If you sense that judging is taking a long time feel free to contact a Debate Forum Mod.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Announcing a slight change of rules:

There will be two judges per Debate. If the two judges vary, the Debate will be called a tie.

Exception: In Tournaments there will be no ties.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

There will be two judges per Debate. If the two judges vary, the Debate will be called a tie.

Exception: In Tournaments there will be no ties.
edit on 3-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

???

Interesting.

Why the change, may I ask??

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Interesting.

Why the change, may I ask??

Because some debates warrant a tie. Judging debates is also a lot of work for all involved and this reduces the work-load, making Debates even more easy.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
The moon landings were real - this debate has now been judged.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I don't agree with this at all.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05

I don't agree with this at all.

You dont?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by enjoies05

You see, the Forum was dead and now its picking up again. We have had more debates in one week than in the whole year before.

So let us try this out for a little...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

If you sense that judging is taking a long time feel free to contact a Debate Forum Mod.

Roger Wilco. There's no hurry I suppose. Is two weeks a good outside window before contacting a mod? Seems fair.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

It seems Pinke and I are the first ones to be shown this new "slight change of rules" in effect. The Moon Landing Debate has been judged a Tie.

And while I respect this new rule and will abide to it, I do not necessarily agree with it. I have a feeling that a LOT of debates will end up in Ties. Judges often go along with their own bias on taking overall decisions. No one can deny that.

However, I do agree that BOTH parties put out a tremendous amount of research and work in making every post count. Whether it be the Opening, the 2nd or Closing Statement.

So here's a suggestion: Can judges judge on individual posts? Round 1, 2, 3. This gives out a greater possibility in avoiding Ties. Judging 3 individual rounds, as in any real life tournament.

Example: Judges give Round One (the opening statement) to such and such for this reason. Same for Round 2, same for Round 3. The Total brings out a Winner...or a Tie.

For sure, there would still be Ties. But less so, in my opinion. Just a suggestion.

edit on 3-9-2012 by SonoftheSun because: missing word.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

Roger Wilco. There's no hurry I suppose. Is two weeks a good outside window before contacting a mod? Seems fair.

Yes.

Your debate is currently being judged by the way.

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Will see how this goes and then make improvements as we go along. We also might revert back to having no-ties. It all depends on the opinions of you guys as well as the Debate-Forum Mods.

If every round is judged there will still be a sum at the final judgement, will there not?

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

If every round is judged there will still be a sum at the final judgement, will there not?

Absolutely !

But a sum out of six individual posts compared to two overall debates. I think there are higher chances in choosing a winner out of 4, 5 or 6 posts falling to one debater that just a one/one possibility.

Then again, after re-reading the judgments about our Tied Match, and having spoken to Pinke about it, in our case, I think that there are high chances that it would have come to the same result. But it might not be like that for all debates.

Just an idea...and I thank you for considering it !

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Are Mysterious Celebrity Deaths A Mystery At All ?

It's on !!!

Monsieur Rising Against...

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Greetings fellow fighters.

This is my first foray into the debate forums, and I'm looking for a real challenge.

I'd like to debate this topic:

"Let it be resolved that the Catholic Church has had a positive influence on the world throughout history."

I am open to slight adjustments to the question, to be negotiated beforehand. I am willing to argue either side, but I confessedly prefer to argue in favor of the proposition.

Please PM me if you are interested in accepting this challenge, and we can decide together on the final wording of the question.

Hope to hear from a challenger soon!

-RedBird

posted on Sep, 3 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RedBird

Member adjensen would drool over that topic, honest, he's religious about his expertise on religion. (Pun intended.) Also a good opponent to debate with.

Wait a bit to see if he shows up.....

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

lol, yes, I already PM'd RedBird to put me "in pocket" for that debate, should no one else care to tangle on that subject :-)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Adjensen has offered to argue in favor of the proposition. I was really hoping to find someone who would take the other side of this one, but it looks like the cat is out of the bag, and I can't very well go back on my offer to argue either side now -- not with my honor intact!

Very well adjensen, it's on! I warn you in advance: I've committed most of G K Chesterton's writings to memory, so don't expect to catch me off guard with anything out of 'Orthodoxy' or 'The Everlasting Man'.

Would you be so kind as to PM a Mod for us and get this thing started? It's close to my bedtime, but I have the day off tomorrow, and I plan on spending the morning in preparing my arguments.

Good luck, friend!

-RedBird

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
The debate between adjensen and RedBird is approved.

edit on 4-9-2012 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join