It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virtually drive the new Mars rover in this CGI program!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
This is so awesome. I would recommend you to turn the speed all the way up because those sand dunes (which appear to me to be a dried up river/lake bed, but I don't know much about Geology) and Mount Sharp are FAR.

And the terrain can get a little nasty.

I have spent hours in this program. Have fun!

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
i cant think of anything more boring....well maybe fishing in world of warcraft

driving around a barren rock in a virtual rover is not my idea of a good time lol

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It's fun, but there's not much to see. I tried jumping some dunes, but it wouldn't go fast enough.

Nice find, though.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Where's the WalMart?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

What? You didn't like the top of Mons Olympus? What about the lake at the bottom of Valles Marineris? So cool!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by N3k9Ni

What? You didn't like the top of Mons Olympus? What about the lake at the bottom of Valles Marineris? So cool!

Oh man - my two most favorite parts of Mars - especially Valles Marineris.

Try going into Google Mars and run the flight simulator and choose the F-16. I always crash into Olympus Mons at about 60,000 feet and Valles Marineris takes a long time to traverse - width-wise. But it's so cool.

To everyone else: I don't know... This is fun to me. I mean, the terrain seems right, and everything we've seen in the images are there. It's just amazing how far everything really is. I liked it.

Those dunes are awesome! Feels like there could have been a river there, but like I said - I don't know much about geology.
edit on 8/24/2012 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
Did you have any problems with the unity web player?

I'd love to try this but I read some reviews that said unity web player was unstable, however they weren't dated, so I don't know if that problem has been fixed or if there are any other issues with privacy, security etc as there have been with flash.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by impaired
Did you have any problems with the unity web player?

I'd love to try this but I read some reviews that said unity web player was unstable, however they weren't dated, so I don't know if that problem has been fixed or if there are any other issues with privacy, security etc as there have been with flash.

The only thing I get is stuttering when it loads terrain (usually when I teleport from one place to another).

Other than that, it's tight. Would like to see rocks and dust get kicked up, though.

top topics

join