It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are these GAMMA RAY bubbles MOVING towards SOL space?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Are these GAMMA RAY bubbles coming towards EA*RTH?

If so would there be any changes experienced on this planet to the FLORA and FAUNA life?

And if you can PLEASE post updated information. It seems hard to find out the location AS OF NOW of the energy from these "BUBBLES" SIMILAR TO hard to find updated accurate BALTIC SEA AND LAKE VOSTOK UPDATED INFO
Thanks in advance if any of you can help find any.

[COLOR=CYAN] Artist depiction of the GAMMA RAY bubbles in the MILKY WAY. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=CYAN]Is there ANY POTENTIAL effect to be experienced if the ENERGY from these GAMMA RAYS reaches SOL SPACE? And is there ANY past/ancient information that may relate to this energy formation/activity?

In December 2010, scientists working with the Fermi telescope found two giant lobes extending from the black hole at the center of our galaxy.

Twenty-five thousand light-years high, each bubble spans more than half of the visible sky, reaching from the constellation Virgo to the constellation Grus, and may be relatively young at just a million or so years old.

The bubbles are a recent find, normally masked by the fog of gamma rays that appears throughout the sky as a result of particles moving near the speed of light interacting with light and interstellar gas in the Milky Way. Scientists only found the bubbles by manipulating the data from the telescope to draw out the striking feature.

news.discovery.com...

From end to end, the newly discovered gamma-ray bubbles extend 50,000 light-years, or roughly half of the Milky Way's diameter, as shown in this illustration. Hints of the bubbles' edges were first observed in X-rays (blue) by ROSAT, a Germany-led mission operating in the 1990s. The gamma rays mapped by Fermi (magenta) extend much farther from the galaxy's plane. Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

The newfound bubbles, meanwhile, are made of hot, charged gas that's releasing the same amount of energy as a hundred thousand exploding stars.

"So you have to ask, where could energy like that come from" in the Milky Way? Finkbeiner said.

" Finkbeiner said, referring to the fact that the structures are well-defined domes.

Dark matter would have existed at the galaxy's core from the start, and the particles would have been continuously interacting.

"If something has been going on for billions of years and it is in a steady state, I would not expect to see a sharp-edged s

[color=cyan] The newfound bubbles, meanwhile, are made of hot, charged gas that's releasing the same amount of energy as a hundred thousand exploding stars. THIS IS WHY I AM ASKING ARE THEY MOVING TOWARDS SOL SPACE?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

[color=cyan] AND THEN THERE IS THIS?[/COLOR]

"These faint jets are a ghost or after-image of what existed a million years ago," said Meng Su, an astronomer at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA), and lead author of a new paper in the Astrophysical Journal.
"They strengthen the case for an active galactic nucleus in the Milky Way's relatively recent past," he added.
The two beams, or jets, were revealed by NASA's Fermi space telescope. They extend from the galactic center to a distance of 27,000 light-years above and below the galactic plane. They are the first such gamma-ray jets ever found, and the only ones close enough to resolve with Fermi.
The newfound jets may be related to mysterious gamma-ray bubbles that Fermi detected in 2010. Those bubbles also stretch 27,000 light-years from the center of the Milky Way. However, where the bubbles are perpendicular to the galactic plane, the gamma-ray jets are tilted at an angle of 15 degrees. This may reflect a tilt of the accretion disk surrounding the supermassive black hole.

www.sciencecodex.com...

[COLOR=CYAN] So ATS members whats going on with this "ENERGY" transfer in THIS GALAXY THE MILKY WAY? Is it nothing to consider for BOTH GOOD & BAD reasons or something to pay attention to?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=CYAN]LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******
NAMASTE[/COLOR]

edit on 8/24/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Are these GAMMA RAY bubbles coming towards EA*RTH?
You mean Earth? No, not really. Look at the diagram.

Is there ANY POTENTIAL effect to be experienced if the ENERGY from these GAMMA RAYS reaches SOL SPACE?
The gamma rays have reached Earth. Otherwise they could not have been detected.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Actually, they're already here. The Fermi telescope detects gamma rays.

Starred and flagged for being a fun thread topic.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Do you realise where our solar system is locate in the galaxy?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Yes pass the mid of spiral out towards the abyss. Still has EA*RTH experienced ANY changes from it as it seems yes some of the rays may have reached this SOL space but what of the HOT gasses?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Electromagnetic energy and photons get hyper accelerated when around the Supermassive black hole. Apparently there is a uniform pattern of dispersal as seen. Truly fascinating.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Soloro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Pretty underwhelming considering all the doom with gamma rays.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

Truly fascinating, INDEED
1 just wonders what was or IS going on near the galactic center, (this is where it would be COOL if ET/HUMANS shared data or craft) the news of the GALAXY would be interesting 1 thinks.

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
Pretty underwhelming considering all the doom with gamma rays.

They ARE forms of LIGHT* patience no doom here think positive.
YOU ARE ETERNAL

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Well, if this counts for anything. I won't be concerned when Canis Major Bites the big one, S&F Original poster.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

Electromagnetic energy and photons get hyper accelerated when around the Supermassive black hole.

Electromagnetic energy and photons travel at the speed of light. They cannot be "hyper accelerated".

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Here is some images i grabbed off of google ...

And I have saved and edited the picture in the OP to show aproximately where we are in relation to the massive gamma ray bubbles.

Personal Disclosure: Easily up to 20,000 light years away from us! I hope that helps lessen any fears ok.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Never knew where the Sun was. Had an idea it'd be in the middle of the spirally stuff but not the center.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

From your posted data we got 20,000 years until the heavy stuff reaches this sphere unless accelerated somehow.
Thanks OmegaLogos for your support in the thread much appreciated.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Who the hell is flagging me? It's only one person :L

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
Who the hell is flagging me? It's only one person :L

I don't understand IntoxicatingMadness what do you mean?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I mean't starring sorry. Because a great deal of posts had a single star ot their name. A lil creepy but the curse is broken

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by IntoxicatingMadness

Got you

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Soloro

Electromagnetic energy and photons get hyper accelerated when around the Supermassive black hole.
Electromagnetic energy and photons travel at the speed of light. They cannot be "hyper accelerated".
Yes. They would get blueshifted going toward the black hole and redshifted heading away from it, so they are affected by their trip passing near a black hole, but they don't experience any hyper-acceleration.

Soloro, I think you should request a refund for that astrophysics course you took if that's where you learned about hyper-acceleration of photons around a black hole.

Regarding the gamma rays, if we ever develop an intergalactic spacecraft it might be a good idea to install shields on it to protect the occupants who might pass through areas with high levels of gamma or other radiation, but for us here now on Earth, the gamma rays mentioned in the OP don't seem to pose a threat. I do have a slight concern about a Gamma Ray Burst suddenly heading our way, if it's too close (which would be a different cause than the gamma rays mentioned in the OP). Fortunately all the GRBs so far have been far enough away to be harmless to us, and it's not likely there will be one too close to us in our lifetimes...we probably have a greater chance of dying from crossing the street.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Arbitrageur, thanks for your response, do you think the hot gasses or ANYTHING else related to the GAMMA RAY transfer will cool or slow before reaching SOL space or wont make it at all? Also as far as Betelgeuse generating a LRGB this way yes that would be discomforting if its aim was in direct with EA*RTH but as you stated you may have more chance of something else happening to you before worrying about that, hopefully.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Arbitrageur, thanks for your response, do you think the hot gasses or ANYTHING else related to the GAMMA RAY transfer will cool or slow before reaching SOL space or wont make it at all?
I'm not sure what you mean by "GAMMA RAY transfer". If you're referring to the Gamma Ray Burst I just mentioned, it will travel at the speed of light so it won't slow down. If a GRB occurs too close to us, it could cause a mass extinction, though this is unlikely to happen any time soon. According to that link such an event may have caused the Ordovician-Silurian extinction event of 450 million years ago. And it could happen again, but the chances it will happen in our lifetime are very small.

If you're referring to the gamma ray "bubbles" in the OP, I think we are already seeing all the effects from those we are going to see which is a small amount of radiation our instruments can detect, but not much effect on us.
edit on 24-8-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join