It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a motion introduced to place a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Trolloks

I respectfully disagree,

Yes, going down the road and buying a bikkie for fiddie to throw back at the RIZE is risky.
Who knows what chemicals that flip was made with.
But its not the chemicals that only do the damage.

I declare I do say to RELEASE SARAH TONIN..

A key ingredient regulated or unregulated will still damage the brain.

Think of the mentality of it all, my mate ended up in the looney bin with scitzophrenia because of ample pot use.
Do we really want to regulat that so any kid can spend his youth in his room stoned?

Imagine if we legalised Heroin, Cocaine or even weed?

No, i do believe some things should not be allowed in the public domain.

IE Drugs, explosives, weapons yadda yadda.

If someone believes thats taking away your freedoms Id say you need to be reasonable.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm not one that likes my freedom taken, but cigarettes should be outlawed. Too many negatives and no positives. What's positive about smoking? The nicotine high? Drink caffeine. It's addicting, gross, hazardous to everyone even the unwilling around it. People are so brainwashed on cigs they just don't care about the negatives. I tried smoking, I couldn't. Literally does nothing. If you outlaw cigs and legalized pot its a wash for the economy. Weed at least has positive effects. Maybe all the welfare trash could use the 20 dollars a week on something useful. I'm so sick of cigarettes. Everytime I smell one I feel infringed upon.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Yeah ok, they are gonna phase out tobacco sales, suuuuurreeee theyyyy areee.... Do you know how much they collect in taxes on cigarettes???? I just don't see the government doing something that's going to cost them billions of dollars......

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Enjoy a hike in your income tax due the lack of tobacco excise.

Alcohol is next on the agenda and then fast food.

Can I get a hooray for choices???

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Just so you know how much money the government will need to make up:

Tobacco tax revenue in 2004/05 exceeded tobacco-attributable costs borne by the public sector by more than $3.5 billion. Of this surplus $2.7 billion accrued to the Commonwealth and around $800 million to state governments.

Collins & Lapsley 2004/5

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
We act as if the govt knows what to do with their money on here lol... And we know how well they manage that. They could easily make up that tax money and who cares? The govt would spin bankrupt every time on the life game of wheel of Fortune anyway.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Wonderful Idea!! What next, red meat? Bad for you ya know.
How about banning chocolate/ That can make you fat.
When you allow them to decide what is good for you, you give them more power to control other aspects of your life. Where does it stop?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by boncho

not nessecarily,

the bigger brothers could have given it to them.

They will probably bring in laws like alcohol, you cannot buy or supply for anyone under the age of X..

When police see someone drinking, they take the booze, and check ID.
So now, if police see someone smoking, they'll check ID and take action.

And dole out penalties. We are going to make these criminal offences are we? How will you dissuade people? Fines? So now we give money to government to fine/prosecute us to "protect" ourselves from tobacco...

Social stigmas? Professional complications? Will I still be able to work at a good job if I have smoking infractions?

Money, Black Markets, Taxes these are not excuses to allow smoking to continue.
Think of all the money spend on health care, TV adverts, cleaners... that would be saved.
Then think of all the money the cig companies pay in TAX! (If its anything like other corporations I imagine they have every loop hole in the world working for them)

Think of all the money that would be saved if we banned ice cream, donuts, butter and bacon.

Stupid argument...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I will admit to being a cigarette smoker, BUT I'M NOT PROUD OF IT!

however I am a very happy and proud cannabis smoker!

sure make ciggies and tobacco illegal all together, fine with me! BUT DECRIMINALIZE CANNABIS NOW! AT LEAST MEDICINALLY!

an eye for an eye I say

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Generally the only two issues presented as justification to ban smoking are

1) Cost to tax payers (which as seen above, the truth is quite the opposite)

2) Second hand smoke dangers

Regarding number 2, have a read through this and see if you still feel as passionately convinced about the dangers.

Facts

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

See now that's messed up.

I don't care if they limit the age to purchase but once you remove an adults right to choose, I have serious issues about that.

Just more examples of the gov deciding whats best for us.

When's the tax on breathing coming?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Poopooplatter
I'm not one that likes my freedom taken,

Yes you are.

but cigarettes should be outlawed. I'm so sick of cigarettes. Everytime I smell one I feel infringed upon.

You don't really know what freedom is. If you need a nanny state to tell you what you can and cannot put in your body than you do not enjoy freedom.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Luckily this is only being proposed in Tazmania (as of now).

But... The anti smoking lobby has international arms and has made several strides in its agenda over the past 10 years. I doubt it will be so long before this comes to Western nations.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
Out-Bloody-Standing.. yes, totally back this idea and its about time something like this was introduced.
Thumbs up and the best of luck introducing this.

www.news.com.au...

TASMANIA'S upper house is calling for a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000.
The state's legislative council has unanimously backed a motion that would effectively start phasing out tobacco ales from 2018, the ABC has reported.
The ban would begin taking effect once people born in 2000 turned 18.

Imagine the knock on effects?

The Health system would be free from all those selfish life long smokers taking up hospital beds.
Cities would be tidy, no more cigerette buts.
Cute girls in the CBD would be kissable, as they are smelling putrid from smoke

i agree with this there should be a ban on selling cigarettes to anyone under 12 yrs old

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I am a smoker and have said myself if it is such a problem, instead of making smokers criminals for doing something legal, ban it.

and this is the best way to do it if you are going to do it. people who smoke now and are addicted can do so, those who are not effected yet will not be able to start doing it, and eventually you have a health hazard gone.

but there is still a part of me that thinks people should still be allowed to choose for themselves, but having said that i have never met a smoker in their late 30's onward who did not regret starting to smoke when they were younger.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I guess I'm more of a libertarian in the approach towards banning anything.

But, if the people vote for it, then okay for them. It's not my country.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

but there is still a part of me that thinks people should still be allowed to choose for themselves, but having said that i have never met a smoker in their late 30's onward who did not regret starting to smoke when they were younger.

Alcoholics on their death beds always regret it too. Funny how they never bring up the mistakes they made in their lives that led to their alcoholism. It was just the alcohol.

See that?

Blame.

I smoke and I drink, and I enjoy both. And I'm sure it will be the end of me one day. But I had too many good years smoking and drinking and generally not caring about people who fuss about everything at any moment, on any given day.

Let them live to 80 and bicker among each other about the OJ not bring organic this week.

I'd rather live 50 years lightheartedly than an extra 30 being uptight and miserable. Mind you, I still have those moments, but if I quit smoking I wouldn't expect everyone else too either. Same goes with drinking. People change throughout their lives. At some points they may need the things that aren't good for them.

Like bacon.

Mmm.

Bacon.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

That lobby is strong in Canada.. They are led by the Canadian Cancer Society. Those folks are the sharp edge of the wedge on the fight against tobacco. I've heard sooo much blatant propaganda from them folks it's just crazy. And people believe it straight up. No questions. It's the CCS so it has to be true. I've called into talk shows on te radio here to debate one of the Regional directors of the CCS about the lies he was telling and got cut off by the host because I was angering the guest so much. he couldn't refute some if the stuff I was saying and started to attack me personally.

Either make the things illegal or quit with the blatant attack on smokers. People have the right to choose, even of those choices kill them.

The CCS pisses me off. Their a charity that isn't very charitable...

www.cbc.ca...

CBC's Marketplace analyzed the Canadian Cancer Society’s financial reports dating back a dozen years. It discovered that each year, as the society raised more dollars, the proportion of money it spent on research dropped dramatically — from 40.3 per cent in 2000 to under 22 per cent in 2011.

Yup less 22% of money is actually used to fight cancer. Thieving bastards is what they are except people give to them freely.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Australia itself is Stupid. Tasmania Australia is doubly stupid.

Australia has banned Electronic Cigarettes, so you cant get those in Tasmania anyway ( there are ways around this legally but you have to play ball the right way) Now Tasmania Australia is taking away smoking too - without giving smokers a proper means to quit smoking that's safe and effective.

It's like pulling the rug out from under someone and saying, Hey there is this great tool that will allow you to have your freedom to "smoke" and it can get you off cigarettes and save your life but you can't have it!

So if you were born in 2000 you would be 12 years old - this wont go into effect until those people turn 18, 6 years from now. That's Dumb. Most teens start smoking at the age of 14 or 15. So you will have kids who have been smoking for 4 years and suddenly - yank the rug out from under them with no recourse.

Nicotine has some health benefits. Nicotine helps the neurons fire in the brain and thus makes you smarter and faster cognitively. Studies have shown, once you take someone off of nicotine, they get dumber again. Tasmania is going to have trouble with school age smokers who suddenly can't smoke. Tasmania will have a teen epidemic on their hands from all the teens going through withdrawals. Sounds to me like Tasmania didn't think this through..

I smoked for 22 years. I tried Everything to quit. Over a year and a half ago I first tried an electronic cigarette. I was able to quit inhaling harmful tobacco smoke right away and make the switch to this wonderful life saving tool. I feel sad for the people in Australia who having their freedoms taken away and at the same time knowing the Government doesn't care enough to help those people properly. What a horrible place Tasmania Australia must be.

edit on 21-8-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I use common sense when exercising my freedoms and the majority populace doesn't. That's the difference. You have to put laws in place so the mongoloids don't hurt themselves. This doesn't actually take my freedom, because I'm not dumb enough to smoke. In fact, banning cigarettes gives me freedom to not breathe second hand smoke. You can't turn this into a freedom argument, because it infringes on others. Ever walked behind a smoker? Waited at a street light with the windows down behind a smoker? I feel imprisoned.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join