It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Marine Brandon Raub Sentenced To Up To 30 Days In Psych Ward Over Facebook Posts

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I keep seeing people referencing this newer facebook page: New Facebook Page
When I first saw this story over the weekend, I found his original facebook page: Old Facebook Page from this link: Network World
The new page everyone seems to be looking at doesn't have that much crazy talk, but the original one was MUCH more incendiary. The curious thing is that I don't see the part about storming the castle on either one any more.
I'm all for freedom of speech and all, but when you put a bunch of anti government talk on your own Facebook page with your real name, and then post about sharpening your axe because you're coming to sever heads and storming the castle, what do you expect?
It would appear to me that either he was beginning to lose it, or purposefully setting himself up to be a martyr.
With all the craziness going on with shootings in the USA recently, I really can't blame the authorities for picking him up.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Tao Jones

Exactly... If people saw the stuff from his old FB page they would probably understand that it wasnt just Revolution talk...

From his page

Brandon J Raub
Sharpen up my axe; I'm here to sever heads.

Yea... People who talk like that are normal.....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I'm actually leaning more toward the intentional martyr scenario because of this quote taken from the old Facebook page:

Brandon J Raub
The Revolution will come for me. Men will be at my door soon to pick me up to lead it.

Share · August 14 at 6:15pm ·
107 shares

Brandon J Raub I'm at **** ******* Road Richmond, Virginia 23237.
August 14 at 6:33pm

So he posts a bunch of incendiary nonsense and gets detained. 30 days later he'll be released, get a book deal, and have tons of disciples here on ATS and other alternative media. Don't fall for it people. He's either a crazy person that needs help, or he's playing you.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Tao Jones because: I removed the address from the copy/paste job

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I bet they dont let him out.
or he commits suicide.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm pretty sure the violent posts he made were actually song lyrics.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

You may really be onto something with the intentional martyr idea. I dare say...any one of us here that is active and stays current on breaking events would know exactly or...VERY close...which buttons to push against TPTB in bringing such a thing down on ourselves. We'd certainly know..and I mean just about all of us....what additional things could be sent in Email or by other means and NOT made public...to insure the outcome without the people even knowing about the HARD pushing done down that path.

30 days with lawyers banging on the door? Multi-Million dollar lawsuits probably already being drawn up? I think you may really have something. He may have sat down and thought through just what it would take to say and how best to do it so the nation as a whole saw him as a victim....while the authorities came running like a stampede at dinner time.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The reason for having freedom of speech is so people CAN talk about the government, not to chat about going to the mall or the weather on facebook. Anti-government speech is protected and this notion that people can be arrested and detained for it is nonsense. Honestly what do you think were the intentions behind committing this guy? You think hes really crazy and they want to help him? A book deal? Give me a break.

Regardless, it doesn't even matter if people think hes crazy or not, he committed no crimes and IMO its illegal to detain this guy for any perceived "potential". By that logic we should go and arrest every person and 15 year old kid playing counter-strike or talking about it on a forum. You can't stick a guy in a crazy house for a month because of other peoples opinions about him OR anything he says on the internet. What he said is pretty mild actually for the internet... and for a former marine that if still practicing, pep talk and aggressive banter would be part of his job for the republic. Browse ATS (or anywhere on the net, for that matter) for half a second and you'll find a lot of things 10x worse.

If government doesn't want to be hated, then it should do its job as was described in the US constitution.

Originally posted by Tao Jones
So he posts a bunch of incendiary nonsense and gets detained. 30 days later he'll be released, get a book deal, and have tons of disciples here on ATS and other alternative media. Don't fall for it people. He's either a crazy person that needs help, or he's playing you.

After 10 posts you're talking about the guy wanting a book deal and telling people "not to fall for it" with a certain agenda, I find that kind of suspicious. On top of that I would probably agree with a lot of stuff Mr. Raub has to say so maybe I should be committed too?
edit on 21-8-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills
reply to post by jhn7537

I'm pretty sure the violent posts he made were actually song lyrics.

Does it matter if they were song lyrics or not?

No one knows his intent behind what he wrote, no one knows if he was thinking of taking those lyrics literal...

Revolution talk, anti-Govt talk and violent lyrics is a stupid combination for a forum that contains your picture and name..

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Yes it does, because it's a big difference between his original thoughts or just posting a lyric on his FB page. If he was into rap music it would have been much worse while also degrading women at the same time

And you're right, only he knows the true context of his posts and it's pretty clear the US Gov't took his posts way out of context. And no, the combination is not stupid and he has every right to post whatever he wants. I guarantee you there are much worse things posted out there, more violence dripping with hate (probably racial) but the Gov't isn't hauling them in for mental evals.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

You have to admit, it is a strange lyric to post on your wall.....

and you're right that there's likely worse out there... But its obvious that the US military keeps an eye on its own...
edit on 21-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

With all the craziness going on with shootings in the USA recently, I really can't blame the authorities for picking him up.

I agree. I'm totally prepared to start locking people up for thought crimes. Sieg Heil, brother! Sieg Heil! I guess 2+2 really does equal 5, now that Obammy is running the Ministry of Love.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Nah, it's not strange. People post strange crap on FB all the time, and sometimes only they know what they are talking about
. To get full context we need to hear it from Brandon himself. Just because he posted violent lyrics doesn't mean he is violent and will act on it, but it could very well translate how he feels and the best way to express his feelings is thru art, song, dance, whatever, but not violence. So be happy he's posting lyrics instead of original violent thoughts

Oh yeah, it's clearly obvious the US Gov't is keeping an eye on veterans who openly oppose them.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
"After 10 posts you're talking about the guy wanting a book deal and telling people "not to fall for it" with a certain agenda, I find that kind of suspicious. On top of that I would probably agree with a lot of stuff Mr. Raub has to say so maybe I should be committed too?"

Gee, I'm sorry I haven't made 2500 posts of "me too!" or other trivial crap. I post only when I have something to add to the conversation.

This is a conspiracy website isn't it? Aren't we supposed to be skeptical and do research, and get to the bottom of the matter? Read the old Facebook page. It was not just general anti government steam purging. It was incendiary rhetoric, followed by a posting of his home address, saying COME GET ME! He got what he wanted. I hope that it was his own cry for help, and that he gets the mental health treatment that he needs.

Free speech is one thing, but you still can't yell fire in a movie theater. The guy wasn't detained because he doesn't believe the 9/11 story. He made threats, and sounded pretty disturbed. If he had done something insanely stupid, people would look at the Facebook timeline and say: Why didn't you do something?

The whole thing stinks if you ask me, and most of the people commenting in the first few pages were looking at a newer Facebook page that was much more tame. I brought up the page that pissed the authorities off. I believe there has also been some comments removed from both of them in the last two days.

He asked for the man to pick him up. The man picked him up. Whether he was disturbed or trying to be a martyr seems to be the real question here. The evidence I've seen leads me to the latter.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What I see happening here is the exact same thing that happened after 9/11. People got scared and were convinced that certain people deserved to have their rights infringed upon so the rest of us could feel safe. As I heard and hear so many times, if you're doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

Now what is happening is that these mass shooting have everyone frazzled similar to 9/11. Instead of the fear being condensed into one day, the fear has been spread out over each one of these events. With the last two, it seems people are now willing to go further than worrying about followers of Islam and are now allowing their own fellow citizens to have their rights infringed upon in order to feel safe.

Many on ATS have been saying over and over again that these new mass shooting are false flags to convince us to give up our guns. I have always said the purpose of the false flag is to put the final nail in the Freedom of Speech coffin. Look at all the people apologizing for the authorities because what he said was "scary" and "we can't let another Aurora happen".

Hmmmm...sounds just like all the folks who said "We can't let another 9/11 happen".

Is Brandon Raub a whacko. Maybe. But does that mean he doesn't have the right to voice his paranoia on Facbook. I don't think so.

Think about the slippery slope you are all going down. When does it end. What constitutes "scary" postings? How do we determine who deserves a visit from the feds and who should be held in a psychiatric hospital against their will?

Do you realize the number of people on the internet who say very similar things to Raub if not worse?! Should we start locking them all up for psyche evaluations?

Where do you suggest we draw the line?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
"I agree. I'm totally prepared to start locking people up for thought crimes. Sieg Heil, brother! Sieg Heil! I guess 2+2 really does equal 5, now that Obammy is running the Ministry of Love."

Thought crimes? He asked for it. He LITERALLY asked for it, and gave his home address!

It was either a cry for help from a deranged person, or the sly game of an intentional martyr.

I have a feeling we'll see him in a few weeks and you'll have a new hero. Maybe he can even convince you and your buddies to donate to his "cause". Oh, you'll buy his book too.

Sorry I don't have the quote thing down, as I'm a lowly disinfo agent with 10 posts working for the man.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

This is a conspiracy website isn't it? Aren't we supposed to be skeptical and do research, and get to the bottom of the matter? Read the old Facebook page. It was not just general anti government steam purging. It was incendiary rhetoric, followed by a posting of his home address, saying COME GET ME! He got what he wanted. I hope that it was his own cry for help, and that he gets the mental health treatment that he needs.

Free speech is one thing, but you still can't yell fire in a movie theater. The guy wasn't detained because he doesn't believe the 9/11 story. He made threats, and sounded pretty disturbed. If he had done something insanely stupid, people would look at the Facebook timeline and say: Why didn't you do something?

The guy is exercising his right to speech on the internet. If he violated anything at all its facebook terms, not anything the government has (or should have) power over, though you could argue they are becoming more and more one and the same. As I said before, there is plenty of stuff a lot more disturbing all over the web.

The government validated his concerns by actually coming to him and detaining him and I seriously doubt they (or you) have any serious intention or concern for "helping" him by taking away his freedom. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that incarcerating (which is what being put in a nut house really is, except with curtains instead of bars) the guy isn't going to help anything, in fact it may do more harm by making him even more spiteful.

Interesting analogy about the fire in the movie theater. You are suggesting there isn't a fire, but as you can see by them locking this guy up, that is anything but true. He is screaming fire (government oppression) and they showed up and started one. If you can't yell fire in a movie theater, then tell me what is all this crap our politicians are talking about going along the lines of sacrificing freedom for security. Surely they weren't screaming fire in a movie theater when Bush was talking about WMDs in Iraq? Or the patriot act? Tell me, how many American lives has the patriot act saved? How many Americans have lost their life to pointless wars?

Now... how many people did Mr. Raub harm? How many crimes did he commit? None, because there really is a fire and he is the one being punished (by the pyromaniacs) for screaming about it. Punishing random, law abiding veterans with an opinion does not stop someone from starting a fire in a movie theater, or stop him from shooting one up.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Well, that says a lot about who you are. So, does that mean that the 1st Amendment no longer applies, and if people are a little strange, they should be locked up? Who determines what's strange and what's normal? You, me, the idiot in the White house?

Personally, I fell anyone who fell for the Kony scam, voted Obama or McCain, or thinks that disarming America is a "good thing" are bat s*** crazy. Should I be able to lock them up? What about the Occupy people? Tea Party people? Should we lock them up too?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Yelling "fire" in a theater and calling for a violent revolution on the internet are two different things. He was also a writer for the Don't Tread On Me blog and he is much more articulate in his articles. While I agree with some of his politics, he is actually very astute and makes some great arguments such as how the Civil War was about freedom from oppression by the Federal government but the Southern States were wrong in that they were crying about their freedom while they were enslaving others.

The only reason he seems "disturbed" on Facebook is because they are his personal ramblings without worrying about sentence structure or articulation. If you read my Facebook page, you would think I'm disturbed, too because I have limited characters and I know the likelihood of people hitting the "more" link to see my full post is unlikely so I sound like a loon trying to say something that deserves an essay in two sentences. Just because Raub doesn't worry about articulating the same thoughts many are having is not a reason to put him in a psyche ward. Hell, my 52 year old step mother who wouldn't hurt a fly surprised me to know end when she divulged that she thinks we need a revolution in this country.

Do you know how many comments on internet articles I see that are much worse than Raub's (and, yes, I have seen some of the posts from his original page)? Like I said in another post, how do we begin to determine who deserves a visit from the government and who doesn't?

And, if, as a hypothetical, he did end up committing a mass shooting, I would not have given a second thought to why we didn't round him up when we saw his Facebook postings because I realize that you can't arrest people for saying something you find disturbing and there is a line that should never be crossed no matter what you THINK someone might do. It's unfortunately, but it's our only option if we expect to keep people's rights in tact. Infringing on rights in the name of security should never be an option.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Yea and meanwhile the apparently illegitimate "new black panther party" gets away with saying all kinds of racist crap about violence towards whites. But lets lock up libertarian leaning citizens with an opinion instead, because that's the real problem in America... people who oppose our ridiculous government that provides Mexican drug cartels with firearms.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
30 days 'll be easy , as long as he behaves . If anyones thinks its not then try 3 months via a secret (from everyone) court hearing . National newspapers- with no names 12/09-02/10
Shall he receive daily rations...?
Yes sir.
Shall he copulate...?
No sir .

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join