It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Marine Brandon Raub Sentenced To Up To 30 Days In Psych Ward Over Facebook Posts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Former Marine Brandon Raub Sentenced To Up To 30 Days In Psych Ward Over Facebook Posts

www.businessin sider.com

The former Marine who was detained by the federal government over Facebook posts critical of the government is being held in a psychiatric ward, Peter Bacqué of the Richmond Times-Dispatch reports.

"I'm currently in John Randolph in the psychiatric ward being held against my will," Brandon Raub, 26, said in a telephone interview with the Times-Dispatch. "[Authorities] were concerned about me calling for the arrest of government officials."

“I really love America, and I think that idea that you can be detained and sent somewhere without due process and a lawyer … is crazy,” Raub said.

Raub told the Times-Dispatch that he served as a Marine in Iraq and Afghanistan from 2005 to 2011, was a combat engineer sergeant and does not own a gun. His mother said he returned from Afghanistan about a year ago and does not have PTSD.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
NBC Link
www.google.com
e dit on 8/20/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/20/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So, I found out about this story from a post on FB by Ben Swann calling for him to look into this story and he has said he will do just that.

Things are getting crazier and crazier in this country and it seems you cannot question anything that our government is doing or has done without facing detainment or worse.

I am extremely shocked by the increase in this type of behavior.

www.businessin sider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
After reading this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am not surprised.
I think this is completely wrong and I hope that the reporter and facebook get enough people outraged, to actually help him.

ooops! I meant this thread.
edit on 20-8-2012 by chiefsmom because: wrong thread link

edit on 20-8-2012 by chiefsmom because: sp

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
After reading this thread:

I am not surprised.
I think this is completely wrong and I hope that the reporter and facebook get enough people outraged, to actually help him.

Thank you for linking that. I was going to link both that thread and the original thread by Seabag

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

Thanks for the update OP! 30 days???????? Something isn't right.......usually they hold you for anywhere from 48 to 72 hours depending on the state you live in. I did some time in one of these brigs due to someone calling the police and saying I said something that I didn't say, so I have a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Due to the fact that they have increased it to 30 days, I am feeling like they are wanting to dope him up and make an example out of him......I was afraid that might happen.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
More than likely he will be forced to take drugs during his stay.
I hate to see this and just goes to sow that it could be most of us in there.

From what i know of the process he will have a trial at the end of the evaluation period.
He is a ward of the state until the doctor over him deems him not to be a danger to himself or anyone else or until his trial where he can then be committed for up to a certain number of months.

If he is committed then that will hurt is future employment options.
edit on 20-8-2012 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If you have facebook, you can see Brandon Raub's facebook page here...

Brandon Raub Facebook

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
#FreeBrandonRaub

I was just reading about this on Twitter and this is terrifying. The US government is concerned about domestic terrorism because he posted about Liberty. I suppose we should just go ahead and burn the Constitution because it contains the word Liberty as well. I'm outraged and we all should be.

Video of this marine vet being arrested

CHESTERFIELD, VA— The Rutherford Institute has come to the defense of a former Marine, 26-year-old Brandon Raub, who was arrested, detained indefinitely in a psych ward and forced to undergo psychological evaluations based solely on the controversial nature of lines from song lyrics, political messages and virtual card games which he posted to his private Facebook page. Although the FBI and Chesterfield County police have not charged Brandon Raub, a resident of Chesterfield County, Va., with committing any crime, they arrested Raub on Thursday, August 16, 2012, and transported him to John Randolph Medical Center, where he was held against his will due to alleged concerns that his Facebook posts were controversial and “terrorist in nature.” In a hearing held at the hospital, government officials disregarded Raub’s explanation that the Facebook posts were being interpreted out of context, sentencing him up to 30 days’ further confinement in a VA psych ward. In coming to Raub’s defense, Rutherford Institute attorneys are challenging Raub’s arrest and forcible detention, as well as the government’s overt Facebook surveillance and violation of Raub’s First Amendment rights.

Rutherford.org

You can also follow @Raubbrent (Brandon's brother) on Twitter for updates.

The Truth
by Brandon J Raub on Friday, November 11, 2011 at 10:00am ·

America has lost itself. We have lost who we truly are. This is the land of the free and the home of the brave. This is the land of Thomas Jefferson. This is the land of Benjamin Franklin. This is the land of Fredrick Douglas. This is the land of Smedley Butler. This is the land John F. Kennedy. This is the land of Martin Luther King. This is the land where the cowboy wins. This is the land where you can start from the bottom and get to the top. This is the land where regardless of you race and ethnicity you can suceed and build a better life for you and your family. This is the land where every race coexists peacefully. This is the land where justice wins. This is the land where liberty dwells. This is the land where freedom reigns. This is the land where we help the poor, and people help eachother. This is land where people beat racism.

The federal reserve is wrong. They have designed a system based off of gread and fear. They designed a system to crush the middle class between taxes and inflation. This is wrong, and it is unjust. It is wrong.

We have allowed ourselves to be devieced and seduced by the powers of the printing press. It is not a good system. It discourages saving: the foundation for all stable economic activity. The federal reserve is artificially manipulating interests rates and creating phony economic data. This thing has decieved our entire nation.

They created it 1913. They also created the income tax in 1913. They encouraged the growth of debt so they can tax you on it. There is interest on the debt. Your government is in bed with these people. They want to enslave you to the government so that they can control every aspect of your lives. It is an empire based on lies. They operate of greed and fear.

There is a better way. It's called freedom. Freedom is called a lot of things. But there is a true meaning. It means very simply that you have the right to do whatever you want as long as you are not infringing on the feedoms of other people.

I firmly believe that God set America apart from the other nations of the world. He saved a place where people could come to to escape bad systems of goverment. This system we have created works. It really works.

There is evil going on all around the world. The United States was meant to lead the charge against injustice, but through our example not our force. People do not respond to having liberty and freedom forced on them.

privatepaste.com

A sample of his writings, while I don't agree with somethings he said... I've certainly seen "crazier" on ATS. Surreal.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Kali74 because: fixed vid

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Honestly sounds to me like the gov and FBI are testing their limits and gauging reaction/resistance to the new NDAA powers they gained....

Basically trying to see what they can and cannot get away with. I honestly wonder how many events we see happen simply as a gauge or test of public response/resistance. Its like they are trying to take the path of least resistance to accomplish their goals...and I would have so say so far....they have been pretty damn successful.

If you think of all the power our government has gained in the las12 years and you compare that to the resistance the people have put up against it...well, its almost like they know exactly how far they can push and pull us to get what they want without any issues....

As far as the Marine Brandon Raub goes...I hope he can keep his cool and remain level headed and calm why being pushed to the limits of human tolerance and understanding....

because if he doesn't...they will keep him psyched up until he loses his mind for real. They will have him taking meds he's never heard before for problems he's never heard before...If he doesn't commit a crime they might just push him to the limits of committing one to justify the "incarceration"...

I work at a mental hospital and I can tell you I have seen people come in with no charges and cop charges while being evaluated because the environment is too stressful it sets them up for failure...

Imagine yourself being put on a unit with some truly psychotic people and having to live with them while taking orders and following rules all day long from nursing staff while you are constantly kept in the dark about your situation, constantly wondering if you are ever going to get out...add to that the stress of knowing you shouldn't be there. It doesn't take much to push you to your wits end in those situations and under that context its almost ALWAYS perceived as you just being "sick" or "crazy"...this is when MEDS become part of the discussion...

As someone who works in the mental health field at a mental hospital, I can tell you that it scares the absolute living daylights out of me thinking of what it would be like being on the other side as a patient...

I don't know if I could handle it for any extended period of time...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Interesting.

I'm not entirely sure what he posted - but I think it begins to set the wrong tone when people get forced into psychiatric wards over contentious comments.

Boy... would 'they' love my opinion of things....

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Political madness at its finest. I guess you do have to be a little "crazy" posting on facebook knowing full well who can see it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I just came across a petition to POTUS to free Brandon Raub as well. It probably won't do any good but gotta try, right?

change.org

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive

Brandon Raub Facebook

That's not his "Official" FB page. If you had even looked you would see on the timeline when it was created. It was created AFTER the incident.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
As a bullet stopper, IE solider, you are to not question the orders, it promotes dissent in the ranks. That hurts the cause as it destroys morale.

If you wanted to keep your 1st amendment rights you wouldn't have signed up to be a corporate mercenary.

Derek

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrakeINFERNO
Political madness at its finest. I guess you do have to be a little "crazy" posting on facebook knowing full well who can see it.

I read it like this:
"I guess you do have to be a little "crazy" expressing your freedom knowing full well it won't be tolerated."

I wouldn't call it "crazy" though as much as I would..."common sense"...if we didn't challenge what is tolerated we would still have out in the open slavery and genocide...we at least pushed those acts behind the scenes for a while...looks to be trending for a comeback though...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
There are several things about this story that scream, "hey look at me, look at me"!!
First is, the gentleman is active duty yes or no?
Is the gentleman being accused of crime, or being looked at for mental weakness?
Is the gentleman being reviewed by civillian court or Military?
And just exactly what did this man do to get so much attention?
Too many things in this scream SETUP!
Why are we being told to watch this, what is the other hand doing?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

Originally posted by DrakeINFERNO

I read it like this:
"I guess you do have to be a little "crazy" expressing your freedom knowing full well it won't be tolerated."

I wouldn't call it "crazy" though as much as I would..."common sense"...if we didn't challenge what is tolerated we would still have out in the open slavery and genocide...we at least pushed those acts behind the scenes for a while...looks to be trending for a comeback though...

Slavery and genocide never left, we have just been pumped with so much propaganda that we feel safe in, and really like our chains.
The dead were actually terrorists too, all of them.
That's what we're led to believe anyway...
edit on 20-8-2012 by g146541 because: oops

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4

Originally posted by freakjive

Brandon Raub Facebook

That's not his "Official" FB page. If you had even looked you would see on the timeline when it was created. It was created AFTER the incident.

You were correct on the part that I had linked the incorrect page. I was overzealous in the posting of the link, as I wanted to share. I had looked at both pages and linked to the wrong one. I have updated the link above.

There is no need to be rude. It's important to share the information.

Brandon Raub Official FB

Brandon Raub FB Support Group

Brandon Raub Support FB Page

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is one of the lasts posts on his "Official" FB page:

Something to note is that he is also a Ron Paul supporter and listed his work as the Ron Paul Revolution. The above post could be taken many ways by many different people.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Im sure theirs a reason he is in 30 days...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join