It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Marine Brandon Raub Sentenced To Up To 30 Days In Psych Ward Over Facebook Posts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Just think, if Egypt, Libya, Syria were smart enough to arrest the very first Facebook anti-government posters and put them all in psychiatric wards, they could have avoided the escalation in resistance, stopped the uprising before it started, and avoided all the chaos that ensued.

Those Middle Eastern nations weren't as smart as America. They let things get out of hand, in the interests of "freedom" which they never had but wanted to pretend to have. Look where it got them.

edit on 20-8-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I've been attempting to follow this story, but every time it's posted on a news site, its gone within hours of being posted.

Hope he gets more support, because otherwise they're going to sweep this under the rug...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I guess he was being watched. He was on a list as connected to people being watched due to two of his websites.
This was posted months before he was arrested.
www.scribd.com...

118. Richmond Liberty Movement Owner: Raub Brandon
137. Southeast Liberty Project Owner: Raub Brandon

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostmymarbles
I've been attempting to follow this story, but every time it's posted on a news site, its gone within hours of being posted.

Hope he gets more support, because otherwise they're going to sweep this under the rug...

Here ya go, plenty of sites carrying the story. Google Link

reply to post by JBA2848

Nice find!
edit on 20-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
hope they dont got my number
I feel for my comrade Marine, its unfortunate this has happened but the truth is has any other vets on ats wondered about the enhanced screening policy at the VA hospitals? to go in and get your teeth checked you go through an interrogative style psychiactric evaluation, to update your insurance you have a psych eval, I dont wish to change the subject but it is very ruthless in my opinion reminds me of your new best friend tactic from sere school.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
that guys gonna get some really good drugs!!!! and never be seen from again with out signing 500 million documents saying he wont write anything ever again in his life lol
besides that, i thought written speech was protected, i haven't seen anything that looks terrorist at all, and that is the problem when we let them right blank laws with blas'e wording with big sweeping definitions,
" he hates cats, hrmm, that could be a sign of things to come, lets lock him up!!!"
and another question came to mind, if he served in the war shouldn't he be at a veteran psych ward(not that would do him much good) and who has the authority to say this person needs to be evaluated before they have even attempted doing anything, who are the scum bags that said sure well come arrest him, with no warrant for arrest i mean if its that freaking easy, half our politicians should already be in wards so who do we contact, if i was his mother i would contact the people that can do that and take every ones name and have em rounded up and tested to be sure they aren't crazys themselves .
this is the exact same thing KGB and SS did, anything written about the new power, were rounded up and never seen from again, isn't that exactly what they are doing right now, (and basically why obama signed indefinite detention, ) is obama SS or KGB, gestapo? on paper it would appear he is since hes laid the foundation for the very thing we supposedly went to war for not very long ago, just ask the jews, they cant stop talking about it\
race war, civil war. pretty soon we wont need any excuse to start it, it will start itself,,
IM pretty sure the constitution was written in a way for us TO TAKE BACK OUR GOVERNMENT when the traditional systems have failed
and IM pretty sure they did not mean take it back with a vote either

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
You know, this is to some degree a litmus test to gauge public reaction. The latest little push to see how much people notice them flexing their muscles, so to speak. To see if people notice, to see how many care, and most importantly- to see how many Americans realize what this really is. He has not been charged with any crime. He is an American being detained against his will, and he has not commited a crime.
Am I living in some Phildickian alternate universe? This is worse than Minority Report!
This is The Patriot Act + NDAA + PKD + whatever, eff U all rolled into one.
I'm sure the next step is he'll be diagnosed with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (anti-authority disorder) - and Brought to the Ministry of Love.
Guess there really is no more 1st Amendment.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
I guess he was being watched. He was on a list as connected to people being watched due to two of his websites.
This was posted months before he was arrested.
www.scribd.com...

118. Richmond Liberty Movement Owner: Raub Brandon
137. Southeast Liberty Project Owner: Raub Brandon

Thank You for what you have brought to the story on this in showing the other side of things. I admit I ran a search for my own real name and screen name on that list though. Wow.... and anyone even debates the fact the Feds watch ATS and sites like is, just as any regular user can see it all? Some of those targets on the list sound pretty neutral and protest related to me. Oh well... No one is asking our opinion.

I also caught the message you posted showing his Facebook posts regarding a pretty clear threat to major violence in the same general thread he refers to former President Bush and Family. Bingo, Jackpot...and he won the prize in my opinion. Thats ..umm..never something to even joke on and that's coming from someone whose gone too close himself... I'd wondered what the rest was though, and are we all sure that string of FB messages was his pre-arrest public display?

Seems there is a massive lack of detail on this case and unless the VA is deliberately looking to make this man a multi-millionaire with that little legal team it sounds like he has, then they have a lot more than they care to announce to everyone. This is sure a case I'll be curious to hear more on when the basis they have in their medical files for holding him 30 days is known.....if it ever is with HEPA and confidentiality stuff.

BTW.... I appreciate people who serve their nation too. Very much so.....but being a former Marine doesn't make someone immune from stupidity or actually being a threat. Charles Whitman was a former marine and so was Oswald..to name a couple.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Ever wondered if that crazy indefinite detention part in the NDAA would ever be put to use? Wonder no more, I guess.

I have lots of catching up to do on this story, and it's good to see that Ben Swann will possibly be reporting on this in the near future. So some of his writings may have crossed the line. Maybe he did make specific threats. He was still arrested without any formal charges, and this begs the question: What, and who is next?

By the way that 'leaked' facebook terrorist watchlist posted above has his name in it twice, yes... It also has twenty five different Ron Paul sites listed, what's up with that?

Is that a real list?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What happens if he says nothing? Not a word?

That's his best chance.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When my sister was suicidal they were going to keep her in there for 30 days, but couldn't legally because you have to get a court order and she lived in a different county than the psyche ward so they couldn't legally hold her there. He probably threatened himself of others. The police have to act on a call or can be held responsible if he shoots up a building, it isn't abnormal.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Video update from Adam vs the Man. This former marines family is as patriotic as he is. They all support him 100%.

Marine who served with kidnapped Brandon Raub testifies to his sanity

edit on 20-8-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ~widowmaker~

Don't blame Obama. Blame Bush for what happened to this guy.

New Freedom Commission on Mental Health
en.wikipedia.org...

The New Freedom Commission on Mental Health was established by U.S. President George W. Bush in April 2002 to conduct a comprehensive study of the U.S. mental health service delivery system and make recommendations based on its findings. The commission has been touted as part of his commitment to eliminate inequality for Americans with disabilities.

The President directed the Commission to identify policies that could be implemented by Federal, State and local governments to maximize the utility of existing resources, improve coordination of treatments and services, and promote successful community integration for adults with a serious mental illness and children with a serious emotional disturbance.[1][dead link] The commission, using the Texas Medication Algorithm Project (TMAP) as a blueprint, subsequently recommended screening of American adults for possible mental illnesses, and children for emotional disturbances, thereby identifying those with suspected disabilities who could then be provided with support services and state-of-the-art treatment, often in the form of newer psychoactive drugs that entered the market in recent years.[citation needed]

A broad-based coalition of mental health consumers, families, providers, and advocates has supported the Commission process and recommendations, using the Commission's findings as a launching point for recommending widespread reform of the nation's mental health system.[citation needed]

Opponents of the plan have questioned the motives of the commission, largely from a civil liberties perspective, asserting the initiative campaign is little more than a thinly veiled proxy for the pharmaceutical industry, which, in its pursuit of profits, is too eager to foster psychotropic medication interventions. Some opponents contend that its objectives are to foster chemical behavior control of American citizens. However, no commission recommendations specifically call for increased drug use and the commission did call for closer scrutiny of psychiatric drug treatment, months before the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) started taking these steps in the wake of reports of increased rates of suicide, especially during the first months of drug use.[2][dead link]

Understanding and Applying Virginia’s New Statutory Civil Commitment Criteria
by Bruce J. Cohen, Richard J. Bonnie, and John Monahan∗
www.dbhds.virginia.gov...

In 2008, Virginia’s General Assembly enacted significant amendments to the Commonwealth’s
civil commitment statute, based on the recommendations of the Commission on Mental Health
Law Reform (the “Commission”). This document is designed to review the statutory language
that modified the civil commitment criteria, provide examples of how the new language in the
statute might be applied, and promote a common understanding of the commitment criteria
across the Commonwealth.

Example: Consider a person with a documented history of paranoid
schizophrenia who voices the belief that her neighbors actually are foreign agents
who are spying on her, has called 911 repeatedly to complain about them, and
now has purchased a hunting knife and a rifle in order to “defend myself against
them if it comes to that.” Is she subject to commitment at the present time?

Our Opinion: Admittedly, this woman has not caused or attempted to harm her
neighbors. However, has she engaged in conduct “threatening harm”? The first point to
be noted is that the revised statute does not require evidence that the individual has made
a specific threat against a particular identifiable individual; a generalized expression of
intention or inclination to cause serious harm to anyone as a result of mental illness
would be sufficient.5 In this case, the woman’s conduct would provide a sufficient
behavioral basis for commitment as long as the totality of the evidence supports the
necessary finding.

The woman in the hypothetical case is subject to involuntary commitment if, as a result
of her illness, there is a “substantial likelihood” that, if not treated, she will cause serious
harm to the neighbors or someone else in the near future. Purchasing the weapon and
making these statements under the circumstances would suffice to establish a recent
behavioral basis for the prediction (“recent behavior… threatening harm”) even though
she has not yet caused or attempted harm and has not yet identified a specific victim of an
increasingly likely dangerous act. Whether this woman can be shown, by clear and
convincing evidence, to present a “substantial likelihood” of casing serious harm in the
near future would depend on the full clinical picture, including her history of violence.
The point being made here is that the statements and assembling of weapons would
provide a sufficient behavioral basis for such an otherwise supported clinical judgment.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I don't think he understands that he voluntarily gave up some of his rights when he gave his oath and signed on the dotted line.

The military is not a place for free will and theory, especially for enlisted. The Military is a Machine.

If you don't want to be part of that Machine, then don't sign up.

You have ample time, as long as needed, to read, ask, and comprehend your oath and what you are getting yourself into before you give your oath and signature.
edit on 21-8-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
I don't think he understands that he voluntarily gave up some of his rights when he gave his oath and signed on the dotted line.

The military is not a place for free will and theory, especially for enlisted. The Military is a Machine.

If you don't want to be part of that Machine, then don't sign up.
edit on 21-8-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Maybe a young naive Brandon wanted to serve his country and family? Anything wrong with that?

Maybe as he aged and got wiser to what the military is REALLY like and what its REALLY about...he had a paradigm shift and had some changed perspectives and priorities...Anything wrong with that?

The notion that a person cannot change their mind ever is ludicrous and one that promotes a stagnant perspective that never changes regardless of the circumstances...and this is exactly why our soldiers will continue to fight meaningless wars for politicians and their greed...its called brainwashing, you no longer think for yourself, someone else with more stripes/bars does that for you...

Maybe he had a change of heart and decided he wanted to keep true to his beliefs and not sell himself out to the highest political bidder...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GreatOwl

We don't know where it got them yet, it's been less than 2 years since the Arab Spring began, it isn't over. Believe it or not just because you have a short attention span doesn't mean that the rest of the world functions in accordance to it. Suggesting that silencing free speech in order to subdue resistance is dangerous thinking IMO.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Having scoured his Facebook., I have to play devil's advocate and say , what if this man had gone on a shooting spree , people would have blamed the government for not "listening to the warning signs" and for not " properly having the man mentally examined". His posts clearly mention severing heads and starting a revolution. I suppose no one buys this argument ?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I don't know the context of his facebook posts, but I could see why they would be kind of iffy. It's nice that people are looking out for him, but at the same time, if there is nothing wrong with him then it's horrible. In his case though, I honestly believe the guy was about to breakdown.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by janus89

The law opinon I posted above is talking how the law was changed to make it easier to lock someone up. The Virginia Tech Shootings must have caused them to make the changes in 2008.

Virginia Tech massacre 2007.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
This is one of the lasts posts on his "Official" FB page:

Something to note is that he is also a Ron Paul supporter and listed his work as the Ron Paul Revolution. The above post could be taken many ways by many different people.

Ron Paul propaganda gets someone into trouble yet again. This gentleman must have been really let down and disgruntled over the whole affair of being bamboozled so badly by the Paul campaign that he went on a tirade. Paul fanatics going off the deep end with his loss is not a hard concept to grasp, there were bound to be a few. Pouring hate out onto facebook is just about as dumb as it gets.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join