It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six teens charged in vicious attack. Claimed they were bored.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Yeah the whole "blame the parents" argument is old and makes no sense-within reason. Does magic happen when a kid turns 18? As long as the parents do not support that kind of behavior and help them out they should not be accountable for the actions of their kids.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Yeah the whole "blame the parents" argument is old and makes no sense-within reason. Does magic happen when a kid turns 18? As long as the parents do not support that kind of behavior and help them out they should not be accountable for the actions of their kids.

Well said.

second line.

Third line: be careful of what you say...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I am in my late 40's and I know certain things happened when I was growing up--but the world has changed.I don't care what anyone else says--it has CHANGED,and not for the better.
I am one who tries to take certain things on a case by case basis,so what I am about to say does not mean I have this attitude across the board.It is quite evident that parenting and the circumstances of that parenting is very different than when I grew up.I do not scapegoat all parents,but I will say by my own personal experiences and observation,in addition to what info I come by through other mediums,that the younger generation is being raised by people who are not doing them or us any favors.
There is good and bad in all parenting--but time and time again I see absent and apathetic parents and I see kids and teens running the house and their own lives with little or no parenting input or parents catering to and spoiling their kids.
I see and hear it all the time and it's evident in not only how they talk to and treat their parents and other family members,but also how they treat other adults and even their peers.Modern society is not helping,either.There is this disposable attitude and me me me and expected entitlement and disregard and apathy running rampant,it seems to no longer be the occasional exception,but more the RULE.
There is not the same kind of socialization and interaction between parents and kids,and familes and friends/peers.Everyone is online and not paying attention to the very people in their own physical MIDST.
All the technology and distractions today only serve to worsen this affliction and the quick turn around of the next techno gizmo every 6-12 months leaves youths wanting and craving the next item immediately and this constant jones for such things and the rabidness of aquiring the next "thing" all contribute to this "boredom".

The mother of the twins defended her children's behavior as "peer pressure".I know it exists--but I can honestly say that there never was anything even remotely close to this situation that I or anyone I knew ever encountered growing up or would even be able to BEGIN entertaining doing such a despicable thing.I grew up about 25 miles or so southwest of Chicago,so I was not raised in some little tiny village off the beaten path.

Furthermore--the lack of compassion and empathy and utter disregard,cockiness and arrogance that the law reported just underscored even more what I am expressing.There is even a poster earlier in this thread that comes from this generation and has himself as a member of said gneration expressed his dismay with his own generation.

Thank God that the neighbors did the right thing and gave these boys up.I hope they receive an equitable punishment but I am sad to say that I hold out little faith that it will impact them or their behavior in the future.I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Those statistics are wrong, the majority of hate crimes are AGAINST black people

71.5 percent were victims because of an offender’s anti-black bias.

16.5 percent were victims because of an anti-white bias.

www2.fbi.gov...

Offenders

62.4 percent were white.

18.5 percent were black.

7.3 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).

www2.fbi.gov...

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

No it wouldn't. In order for something to be a hate crime it has to be motivated by solely race alone.

LOL.. You say it needs to be SOLELY about race? It's ok if it was just a little about race?

Again, do you think we're stupid? If 6 white teens were beating up a black kid because they were "bored", you wouldn't instant think "racism"? You are totally an anti-white racist. It comes out in every one of your posts.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by charles1952

Those statistics are wrong, the majority of hate crimes are AGAINST black people

71.5 percent were victims because of an offender’s anti-black bias.

16.5 percent were victims because of an anti-white bias.

www2.fbi.gov...

Offenders

62.4 percent were white.

18.5 percent were black.

7.3 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).

www2.fbi.gov...

This might have something to do with the propensity for police or the feds to shy away from calling black on white crimes "hate crimes". For example, a gang of black teens went around beating up whites here in Akron Ohio. These kids were chanting "this is our world, this is a black world" while beating their victims. Yet, the police didn't call it a hate crime.

www.ohio.com...

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

Again, "teenage boys" substituted for the truth.

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

edit on 16-8-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

edit to add:
oops it appears it is already happened

Uhhh, didn't the "teenage boys" make it a race issue? How is this beating any different from the dozens of other "gang of teenager" beatings target at white people only?

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You know I opened this thread and expected it to be an article from the UK. But no I don't think it's fair to blame parents outright really, some drag them up /don't give a crap what their kids are doing or where granted, but you can only do so much to keep them on the straight and narrow, once your little darling decides to get in with the wrong crowd it doesn't really matter how well you think you did. Perhaps sometimes it's better to just instill them with the common sense to think twice rather than raising them with an iron fist.

But yeah, like I said I expected this to be UK article where it doesn't matter what colour, creed or dress sense you have, if bored teenagers or grown men don't like the look of you, you are battered even for fun....

en.wikipedia.org...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

*Ahem* just trying to steer this thread away from being a racist #storm like....

edit on 16-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The mom of the twin boys said her boys participated in the attack because of peer pressure. I believe that. It doesn't excuse them but there is always a leader in a group who instigates trouble and the rest feel pressured to go along. 13 is pretty young and sometimes don't understand the consequences for their actions until after the fact.

I also don't believe it was a hate crime, either. They were bored, saw the white guy walking down the street with a pack of beer, and then attacked him. They probably would've attacked him if the guy had been black, too. To me, this was a crime of opportunity. I don't know why they think it was premeditated. Premeditation shows planning and I think these kids just decided to attack the first person they saw.

This was a senseless crime, though, and their attitude about what they did was appalling, which shows a total disconnect for the respect for human life.
edit on 16-8-2012 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2012 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

LOL.. You say it needs to be SOLELY about race? It's ok if it was just a little about race?

It has to be motivated by race in order for it to be a hate crime

Again, do you think we're stupid? If 6 white teens were beating up a black kid because they were "bored", you wouldn't instant think "racism"? You are totally an anti-white racist. It comes out in every one of your posts.

No it really wouldn't. The prosecutor would have to prove without a doubt that it was motivated by race in order for it to be a hate crime. A race beating up another race has nothing to do with race most of the time.. You're an anti-black racist, it comes out in all of your posts. Also an anti-leftist bigot as well.

I've never said anything racist towards white people ever.
edit on 16-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Somebody is lying their butt off -
You decide who:

Mother of the Mizzell twins, Latasha Alford, 32, said that while not excusing her sons’ actions, they did feel peer pressure to go along with the other boys.“They are deeply sorry for what happened,” she said. “They do feel bad. They do realize what they did was wrong.

The police said:

But police were struck by how cocky the boys were for their age. “They were pretty arrogant in the interview with us,” Foust said. “It’s appalling. I think it’s despicable. This appears to be premeditated and there was no remorse on behalf of any of the assailants.

But of course this wasn't a "hate crime" even though the assailants were black and the victim white:

“It was a heinous crime but it was not a hate crime,” North College Hill Police Chief Gary Foust said. Several residents called police, noting the suspects are black and inquiring whether Mahaney was specifically targeted because he is white. He was not, the chief said.

Those who say blame the parents notice there is no mention of the father at all. That speaks volumes in itself and goes far in explaining why so many young kids are getting in trouble. Not that single parents can't do a good job of raising kids but it's twice as hard without a partner.
Poor guy has no health insurance either. Saddening any way you look at it.
edit on 16-8-2012 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hopefully the judge in this case will povide the proper amount of punishment mixed with a lot of community service. That way these teens will not have the chance to be bored for awhile.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This has been happening for sometime, look into all the beatings of homeless people that have happened because suburban punks have become 'bored'.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
wtf do the parents have to do with this

everything

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

reply to post by mwood

Im not one of these stat goons that needs to back up every statement i make, cause i really dont care im just bored. But i state faaaacts. Your the ones complaining about the media not mentioning they where black, "if they where white, it'd be mentioned and be considered racism" That's a lame ass thing to say, like your the victims of society. Thats how the kkk think....

Actually I was not complaining that they didn't mention that they were black. I was "questioning" why all the black on white crime was being reported more in the media.

So when your bored you just spout out any garbage you want and claim they are "faaaacts" without any thing to corroborate what your saying?

I am no victim of society as is nobody else. Your a victim of the circumstances you put yourself in. If anybody is a victim these days it is because they want to play that part.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

reply to post by mwood

Im not one of these stat goons that needs to back up every statement i make, cause i really dont care im just bored. But i state faaaacts. Your the ones complaining about the media not mentioning they where black, "if they where white, it'd be mentioned and be considered racism" That's a lame ass thing to say, like your the victims of society. Thats how the kkk think....

Statements without any backup are just bs. It is simply what you choose to believe. No facts behind any of your statements whatsoever.

BTW ~ do you star yourself or have a friend do it for you? I cant imagine someone giving a star for such silly, rude and hateful comments to others.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

wtf do the parents have to do with this

Nothing at all. I would not even go so far as to call them parents. To call them parents suggests some involvement with upbringing their offspring to behave and be motivated to achieve.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Every one of these kids needs at least two years in an adult institution. None of that community service crap.

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Tupac was sure as hell right...

"They say there ain't no hope for the youth, but the truth is there is no hope for future!"

posted on Aug, 16 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie
If I had kids, and found out they did this...the court system would be the last thing they ever worried about.

I know there are kids out there doing great things, but kids like this put a huge blemish on the up and coming generation.

Kids from the original story are lowlifes. Judge needs to bring the hammer down on them and make a real prime example out of them.

I like that he called the emergency unit the "life squad", that's great.
edit on 15-8-2012 by MmmPie because: addition of information

I completely agree with you! I don't understand what's wrong with "The American Family" nowadays.
This is absolutely insane. These kids need to be put into Juvenile Hall until they're 21 (I don't agree with the adult prison system for kids this young unless they murder).

I'm a mother of 3 fantastic grown up daughters all in college now and a 13 year old son. If any of my kids did anything remotely similar or even on a lesser scale I would beat the crap out of them and then hand them the phone so they could call the police for help from me beating their a$$! As a matter of fact, I would just turn them over to their father or uncle for a beat down of equal value to what they dished out to this man. I mean it, this insanity has got to stop.

In some of these cases the parents should be in front of a judge answering some serious questions and possibly be held responsible. I do understand however, that some kids just do stupid things even though they were taught better.

Still, I say let a judge figure that out after they've had their a$$es handed to them by family
That's how it was done in my family and let me tell you, simply raising your voice was cause for a good "switching"

ETA
Then the fact that a parent made this comment:

Mother of the Mizzell twins, Latasha Alford, 32, said that while not excusing her sons’ actions, they did feel peer pressure to go along with the other boys.

“They are deeply sorry for what happened,” she said. “They do feel bad. They do realize what they did was wrong.”

Is just not enough....it's just not. When my son was in the 1st grade, his father and I got called to his school because he tackled his best friend (whom he's still best friend's with to this day) because he would not stop cursing on the play ground (the friend also has ADD and a brilliant mind). We went to the office and the principle told my son that's not the way you handle such a situation. After we got home, we didn't have to spank him because he was embarrassed enough simply by being called to the office with his parents.

To this day, my son is a very diplomatic, smart, funny and has actually taught his friends how to be more tactful and express themselves by use of proper language. My son and his friends are all 13-14 and starting the 9th grade now and he just happens to be the one they go to for advice on how to handle what they consider a "rough" situation. They've all been best friends since kindergarden.

You got to nip this sort of behavior in the beginning or else terrible things happen in the end. Most of the times the terrible things happen to innocent people.
edit on 8/16/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join