It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six teens charged in vicious attack. Claimed they were bored.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

Originally posted by hp1229

Originally posted by dayvewtf do the parents have to do with this
Are you a parent? Parenting has everything to do with the outcome when it comes to social skills.

Yea maybe if your from a town with population ZERO ... Kids roam the streets n learn most of their social skills n behavior from that. All a parent can do is make kids aware of things, its up to the kid to decide to take that route or not. And who knows, this guy could have said something to one of the kids prior to the incident, probably had it commin...
edit on 15-8-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

I agree. Kids do have to be street smart as well. Parents job is to guide and possibly INTERVENE if necessary. Do you think that everything should be decided by the Kids as per what and how they chose to live despite the parents advice them otherwise? Though your thought is a valid one if the victim must have said something but its speculation since the kids admitted to beat him up because they were bored. Its in the link if you read the police statement.

What if the kids would have killed the guy by accident/mistake (if he possibly landed on the sidewalk and split his head open or whatever reason), do you think it could have been avoided? or would you consider that to be a lesson learned by all the kids at the cost of their future?
edit on 15-8-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

edit on 15-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesGC
But it all starts with parents lossing power over how they raise their kids. yet, Media, Social Media and big corporations tell our kids every day how they think they should live and most people don't give a damn.
BINGO !!
Commercial echos from Ads, Stereotyping in general and by other media outlets, MSM, Hollywood etc etc sell their idea of freedom for profits most of the time. The dumbed down public laugh at it as well not knowing how adversely many of these messages are shaping the younger audience watching/learning from them.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Well part of it has to do with many not wandering on the streets as many of them are behind their computers or games

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

The violence wasn't the real issue i was getting at.

I took the real issue, which you mention more than a couple of times, to be the parents not having the power to raise their children correctly. You go on to say that "These days you cannot even ground your kids."

The violence is the result of the real issue. Well they raised children differently back in the days and the result (violence) was even worse, so I disagree that "This all stems from the fact that parents have lost so much power in the recent generation." If it existed under both circumstances then it is only logical that something else is the cause.

edit on 15-8-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Sounds like they were engaged in the knock-out game which is very popular amongst certain groups of "kids".
edit on 15-8-2012 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You know what's really scary. Every two or three generations we see a new standard. Things get lost (and some for good reason) but not everything.

How my grandfather lived, to how say my children live is completly different. At 16 he went to war, but in that process learned lifes leassons the good and the bad.

Now imagine in three generations time when our grandfathers have passed away, and we have. The generation that lives with different standards and even those standards will drop.

Don't get me wrong, life it a circle and things come and go all the time (Like music, fashion and so fourth).

But it worries me standards are lowered and what has been lost doesn't come back, how will future kids have to live with.

Especially with parents not having a full chance, and kids not having a chance either. I mean sometimes the kids don't even get a say with their lives(Listen i am NOT saying all here). But I mean if you didn't have a TV decades ago you were alienated. Now if you are a kid that doesn't have a mobile (hahahaas as if they exist), or a facebook account you get alienated. And these things shape people.

Clearly not everyone, but TV was for everyone at certain points of the day, the mobile and social media are with you 24/7, even schools don't do anything to disconnect you.

Would be good if we could find a way to connect a lot of young people again. It bugs me when i see a horror movie and you have every teenager laugh at the scary bit just because they can't deal with their emtional side.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I really wish people would stop scapegoating parents. Many times, kids just turn out differently than what their parents intend, regardless of the best efforts of the parents. Sometimes, no matter how much love you give them, they just turn out or always have been bad people.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You know what's really scary. Every two or three generations we see a new standard. Things get lost (and some for good reason) but not everything.

That was the point of the post showing 9.4% of homicides committed by children under 15 in 1961. How is that standard different than today's. Well that standard was actually lower back then. I'm sure others were as well so your prediction that things can only get worse is actually proven wrong.

Care to came up with something a bit more concrete than just personal opinion?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

And that is fair enough.

for me its not the ONLY stem from isuse. There are many. Humanity is not a simple thing and we are all individuals.

I just get annoyed because you do often hea things like the useless generation or how pathetic they are, and i think it's more than such.

Just trying to say it's not just a Them issue or a Parents one, but this and that. It comes from multiple issues.

But you can't tell me as a parent today you have as much right as you did a generation ago and anothe before that

It could be a cultural issue though. I'm from Australia, and over here there has been huge shifts in recent times. So what the Governments have done to us, may very well be diferent to say USA or the UK, which have had a longer history and other issues which may have had time to root itself into society that couldn't here.

EDIT

Is there anything worng with sharing opinion. I wasn't stating i was right or wrong. One can voice an opinion and discuss things can they not?

If it wa salways about wrong or right than discussion would just end and really what would we learn. But i guess this IS the internet.
edit on 15-8-2012 by JamesGC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
If you broke both of their legs the physical therapy would give them somethign to do for a while.

That is my first reaction... although it is rather harsh.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
I really wish people would stop scapegoating parents. Many times, kids just turn out differently than what their parents intend, regardless of the best efforts of the parents. Sometimes, no matter how much love you give them, they just turn out or always have been bad people.

Have to agree. They say a certain percentage of the population are psychopaths. That is just how they are wired.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

Originally posted by dayvewtf do the parents have to do with this
Are you a parent? Parenting has everything to do with the outcome when it comes to social skills.

Yea maybe if your from a town with population ZERO ... Kids roam the streets n learn most of their social skills n behavior from that. All a parent can do is make kids aware of things, its up to the kid to decide to take that route or not. And who knows, this guy could have said something to one of the kids prior to the incident, probably had it commin...
edit on 15-8-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

I agree. Kids do have to be street smart as well. Parents job is to guide and possibly INTERVENE if necessary. Do you think that everything should be decided by the Kids as per what and how they chose to live despite the parents advice them otherwise? Though your thought is a valid one if the victim must have said something but its speculation since the kids admitted to beat him up because they were bored. Its in the link if you read the police statement.

What if the kids would have killed the guy by accident/mistake (if he possibly landed on the sidewalk and split his head open or whatever reason), do you think it could have been avoided? or would you consider that to be a lesson learned by all the kids at the cost of their future?
edit on 15-8-2012 by hp1229 because: edit content

edit on 15-8-2012 by hp1229 because: add content

It could always be avoided. A knucklehead can be spotted a mile away and if they have nothing to do but hang out in the street corner all day, than THAT is the parents fault. But what they do on the street is not. They could be in a music studio doing something productive. But if they killed the Guy, a lesson learned and more numbness. Who's to say they haven't aready? I'm sure only a few of them where really into beating this Guy, cause it sounds like some snitching took place. That's just my opinion tho. Been their done that

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

for me its not the ONLY stem from isuse. There are many. Humanity is not a simple thing and we are all individuals.

Maybe but it may not even be an issue. If it is something else, like some people just being "criminally insane", then being able to spank or not spank that type of child probably isn't going to keep them from growing up crooked.

But you can't tell me as a parent today you have as much right as you did a generation ago and anothe before that

True but I can look at certain statistics and say that children are less violent today than in past decades despite the fact that parents have less rights.

Is there anything worng with sharing opinion. I wasn't stating i was right or wrong. One can voice an opinion and discuss things can they not?

Nothing wrong with sharing an opinion but when someone posts facts then shouldn't the discussion move forward based on that information? If the opinion is proven wrong but we cling to it, then we are not really learning anything.

edit on 15-8-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In cases such as this a really good old fashioned public caning and then a long term labor camp would be my suggestion

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
These kind of teens who are bored, hang out in gangs and do nasty stuff to other people are perfect examples of how dumb they have become in every sense of the word. Their minds have devolved into the instincts of animal stupidity and should be locked in a cage for the rest of their lives, feed them bread and water, and pieces of raw fruit through the bars of the cage.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

“It was a heinous crime but it was not a hate crime,” said North College Hill Police Chief Gary Foust of the teens, who are all black

What can be more hateful than nearly beating someone to death simply because you were bored?

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Forced sterilization programs in certain parts of the country, please.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Boredom's got about as much to do with it as 'death metal or video games made me kill that person'. IMO.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
Sounds like they were engaged in the knock-out game which is very popular amongst certain groups of "kids".
edit on 15-8-2012 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

I was thinking the same thing. Anytime the media say "kids" or "teens", they usually mean black kids. They always want to play it down when these mobs of black kids seek out white people to beat up. Its becoming a regular occurrence.

Note, I don't know if these were all black kids, but I suspect due to the vagueness of the article.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Now make it about their race

It's funny, no one mentioned that James Holmes or criminal bankers were white on this site at all...anytime a black person does something it is ALWAYS mentioned on here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join