It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those with misdemeanors and certain felonies

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
In Ohio you only need to go to the clerk of courts. They will give you the necessary forms. Fill them out and pay a filing fee. Your answer will come by mail in most cases. In other cases the Judge may wish to have you present for a hearing. Just be very certain that all is in order before doing this. You dont want them to find any warrants outstanding for anything at all. Not even traffic violations. Check with your clerk of courts, they will explain the process to you.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Wow, that is wrong. There should be way of clarifying that, our legal system is screwed up.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I have a felony evading charge and I am being made to goto a group counsling meetings and a therepist for my crime. I have heard alot about being able to expunge a record and clear the criminal past by asking a jude to do so.
I found a link for your area -
www.state.il.us...

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Labrynth2012
reply to post by Advantage

There are plenty of jobs in Texas but no housing available for everyone.
The one thing that you touched on but don't really realize is that employers
are now required by law to run background checks on employee's.
I can even go down to the court house and run a background check on anyone for $5.00.

Yeah here in Il we already have a serious issue with landlords and renting to drug manufacturers and bringing a LOT of crime into our city. They dont typically do background checks as long as they are getting paid.. especially section 8.So Illinois is very strange, we have apartments and rentals in the middle of residential areas.. its more odd than anywhere Ive ever lived. Anyway, we have to go through the Staties to get the background check and I THINK it costs 25 bucks. Right now we are having serious issues in my town with the landlords and not caring.. so much so we have had now 3 town hall meetings over it. They want to pass a ordinance concerning "nuisance rental properties" and fining landlords/pulling occupancy permits. They also want landlords to register yearly for inspection on top of the occupancy inspection. They arent happy about it.. the rest of us are.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Llama619
I have a felony evading charge and I am being made to goto a group counsling meetings and a therepist for my crime. I have heard alot about being able to expunge a record and clear the criminal past by asking a jude to do so.
I found a link for your area -
www.state.il.us...

Depends on what county she is in as to how successful it will be to be honest. We got a new prosecutor who is being "tough on crime" and repeat offenders and etc.. so its not as easy as one would think. I think showing a good pattern of behavior, having an advocate, and getting the right judge is the key. People have NO idea how much hinges on getting the "right" judge.. its stupid I know.. but true. I said in my other post abotu representing herself, but there is no real protocol for this. Might have a free form on there.. but there is significant cost associated with filing yourself and presenting the case. If you dont present like the judge wants .. youll be told to take a hike or rescheduled to get the info and more money because here.. EVERYTHING you request costs.

I wish I knew what county she was in..

HEY OP!! If youre comfortable.. can you tell me if you are in my County? St. Clair County? I live in Belleville... if I can help, I will try!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm in Edwards County.

The lawyer I got hold of told me since I have pretty much zero income (making under 16k a year and I made about 230.00 this year). live in housing and am on foodstamps, if the judge waives the court fees, the lawyer will waive his 790 dollar fee to seal my misdemeanor. Lawyer is up there in my old Dupage County area so I just have to go up there for the initial and then I suppose it will go from there.

Dupage Co is rather tough. It's not too far from Cook. Heck, most of the counties up there are harsh: Will, Kane, Kendall, Dupage, Cook...... I got my fingers crossed. Even if I can't get it done for free, I'll save the 790 some how and go for it again. I won't give up.
edit on 11-8-2012 by sarra1833 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Llama619

I looked into expunging. If one did time in jail/prison, they can't expunge but they /can/ get it sealed which is the route I'm driving for. I have not done anything since then - no more misdemeanors of any kind - so it should be smooth sailing. If they deny it, I'd be SHOCKED.

And hurt, upset, confused.

my luck, they will deny it. BUT IM NOT THINKING THAT WAY. NOPE. They'll grant it.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Expungement of a felony is pretty easy, go to the court in which you crime was processed, explain to the clerk what you would like to do. He/She will add you to the docket once all necessary paperwork is filled out. Go to your court date and explain what happened and take FULL responsibility for your crime. The judge will make a decision and you will be notified by mail. I think mine cost about 300 dollars for the processing. Keep in mind a expunged felony doesn't do much for you, as for me its expunged but with a press of a button anyone can access your public records from the web and see that you still have a felony that's reduced to mister-meaner. What it does allow you to do is not have to check the box on a application stating "do you have a felony". My felony was evasion (high speed car chase, no alcohol no injury) and i had a DUI about 4 years after that and they still approved my expungment. As far as having a hard time getting a job I can relate, I live in California and all there are is big box stores, mom and pop shops are mostly gone along with our deteriorating middle class.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join